The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:43:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had a great chat with Bill, W3DUQ  (Read 3110 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: April 26, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »

Bill, W3DUQ is currently in a nursing facility very close to his Ice Dale home recovering from a fall following previous hip surgery.  Thanks to Ralph-W3GL, I was able to call Bill on the phone.  We had a great chat for about 30 minutes. He is in the process of writing a book about his life's experiences.  He does plan to return to his old QTH sometime in June.  He is loving his stay where he is and now realizes that he is a very social person and likes having people around him.  He seems to be in no hurry to go home!   If any of his friends would like to contact him, he said it was fine to give his phone number out.  You can reach Bill at, 610-273-1961.  

I am working on some ways through my repeater system to get him back on 75 meters, but with the remote software and the internet his Flex would be the ultimate way to go.  

Stay Tuned....

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:52:16 AM »

Joe,
      I just can't imagine Bill "enjoying himself" in a nursing facility ? ? ? it just doesn't sound like him. (Unless he is chasing the nurses around)  Grin  Grin

In the more recent years, Bill seemed to really have an aversion to being around people. I tried many times to talk him into coming to the party, even going as far as to arrange a ride for him.

I do surely miss him on the air! He was a good one for "stirring the pot" and the WFDN just isn't the same without him. He was also usually one of the ones responsible for instigating the evening break-in sessions on 3.885. I can still hear him saying "this group is getting kinda big, why don't we go break-in"  And then all hell would break loose!  Shocked  Grin

But........ Glad to hear that he is doing well and happy! ! !  

In a nursing facility, privacy doesn't exist. Kinda like being in a horsepistol. I know that when I was stuck in the horsepistol, dignity doesn't exist either and you just try to get through it. I know many times when I was stuck in the horsepistol I just ended up walking up and down the hall with the BA's just swingin in the breeze. No one even seemed to care one way or the other. They had made mention of placing me into a nursing facility to recuperate further, I just flatly refused and told Carol that if she signed for it that our marriage was over when I got out, and I was dead serious! !  I had been through enough in the hospital and would be more than happy to recuperate at home. So, I just can't imagine anyone enjoying their stay in one of those places. It broke my heart to pieces having to put my mother into one. (she has altzheimers and dimentia)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:37:27 AM »

Hi Frank,

Well out of all of this comes something good as far as I am concerned!  If Bill now enjoys being around more people, maybe we can have a GMS AM Radio Bash and get him and a lot of the other local AM'ers over for a good barbeque!  We had a small gathering many years ago and believe it or not I was able to get Bill here!   

I can't wait to read the book he is writing Wink.  I first heard Bill on the air around 1964 when he was still living at home.  While on the air from upstairs he would  open the basement door then turn the reverb on and talk to Igor in the basement!  Early Hammond organ springs and a tape recorder modified with an extra playback head provided some good effects.  It was from his parents house that he played, "I fought the law and the law won", when the FCC walked in! 

I remember when his Dad gave him the property up in Ice Dale.  Before he had his digs set up, he would operate on 75AM from his car plugged into some very high dipoles he put up.  Bill used an Elmac AF-67 in his car and a Master Mobile Slim Jim antenna.  The car was either a 55 or 57 Chevy.  Like most Ham's the antenna were the first items to get completed on his newly acquired property.

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »

While on the air from upstairs he would  open the basement door then turn the reverb on and talk to Igor in the basement!  Early Hammond organ springs and a tape recorder modified with an extra playback head provided some good effects.  It was from his parents house that he played, "I fought the law and the law won", when the FCC walked in! 

Somehow, I have no problem whatsoever envisioning that whole thing going down! !

Wink  Grin  Grin

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »

"He is loving his stay where he is and now realizes that he is a very social person and likes having people around him.  He seems to be in no hurry to go home! "

Well, how do you know that it's really him?!?! It is possible that he loaned his body to an alien sociologist and that Bill is on their home planet doing research.  I'd ask him myself, but I really don't know him that well.

klc

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

"Well, how do you know that it's really him?!?! It is possible that he loaned his body to an alien sociologist and that Bill is on their home planet doing research.  I'd ask him myself, but I really don't know him that well.
klc

Well........... He used run the UFO net......................  Shocked  Huh  Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015