The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:18:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mohawk and HO-10  (Read 9288 times)
WA2ROC
Contributing

« on: December 21, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »

I got my HO-10 wired up to my SX-111 this past weekend and it was relatively easy due to the ease with which the chassis came out of the cabinet.

Not so with the Mohawk.  Those who own one will know why.  Lots of wrestling and wiggling to get the chassis out.

I was wondering if a "tube extender", for lack of a better term, could be used to connect the coax and small coupling capacitor to the HO-10?  The modification could all be done from the top side.  I don't have the schematic in front of me now but the only problem may be finding a ground.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to y'all.

(No, the HO-10 isn't in the photo)

* IMG_0008-1.JPG (105.02 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1051 times.)

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:30:18 AM »

Dick,

Nice looking setup of the big Indians!

Know how to make pulling a Mohawk out of the cabinet easier?  First wrestle your Apache out of the cabinet and that makes pulling a Mohawk seem like nothing  Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »

Very nice looking setup!

Brett
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »

Tube extender will work. They generally can be found at flea markets.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »

Anybody got one of these laying around? 

7 pin version.

Thanks!

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »

Dick,

With a little care, you can just wrap a turn wire (or part of the lead of a cap used for pickup) around the proper pin.  Use a bit of shrink tubing to insulate as needed.

No need for a tube adapter and although it probably doesn't matter at the low IF used in the Mohawk in a higher frequency circuit the tube adapter itself could upset operation.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »

Personally, I would drill two holes in the chassis back and mount two RCA female jacks. Wire one for the HO-10 and one for the HO-13 (because sooner or later, you're going to want a HO-13).

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »

I got my HO-10 wired up to my SX-111 this past weekend and it was relatively easy due to the ease with which the chassis came out of the cabinet.

Not so with the Mohawk.  Those who own one will know why.  Lots of wrestling and wiggling to get the chassis out.

I was wondering if a "tube extender", for lack of a better term, could be used to connect the coax and small coupling capacitor to the HO-10?  The modification could all be done from the top side.  I don't have the schematic in front of me now but the only problem may be finding a ground.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to y'all.

(No, the HO-10 isn't in the photo)

Nice set-up, Dick! Very similar to one of my vintage Heath stations.

I use my HO-10 with my Heathkit HX-10 Marauder set-up.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »

Last evening I decided to re-do the IF out on the SX-111 and while I was in the mood, I added the 50 KHZ output on the Mohawk.

It wasn't anywhere as heavy as I had expected.  Just the 97 screws that have to come out.

I used a pair of 47pf 100 volt caps in series inside some shrink tube to the plate of the second IF tube.  Probably too much coupling because the vertical gain on the HO-10 needed to be cut back a lot.

This weekend I'm gonna set up the Mohawk so I can use it with both the Apache and the Marauder.  That entails setting up the muting to be actuated from either transmitter and running the antenna leads from each TR switch to a Tee on the Mohawk.

Just a bunch of wires, but it'll be another learning experience.

Happy New Year to Y'all!

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
K7NCR
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 09:03:28 AM »

This weekend I'm gonna set up the Mohawk so I can use it with both the Apache and the Marauder.  That entails setting up the muting to be actuated from either transmitter and running the antenna leads from each TR switch to a Tee on the Mohawk.

Just a bunch of wires, but it'll be another learning experience.

Happy New Year to Y'all!

I just did that same lash-up a few weeks ago. I used the home-brew TR switch aux. contacts to mute the Mohawk, and used a DPDT switch to switch the 115V for the TR from the Apache to the Marauder. I use a manual coax switch between the TX's and the TR switch. Not too hard, and works fine! I may build another TR switch with another relay for the TX switching sometime.
73!
Norm K7NCR

* hx10-tx1 selector.JPG (196.55 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 924 times.)

* all home.JPG (204.21 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 1011 times.)
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 09:12:58 AM »

(I originally said the muting was a "short to receive" but to mute the receiver you have to open the muting line, hence the change to the text)

Since the Mohawk has a "short to receive" muting circuit, I can put the muting contacts on both homemade TR switches in series and whichever transmitter is operating, that one opens the muting line and controls the muting.

I only use one transmitter at a time so all I have to do is remember which one is in use.  Probably the one with the lights on!

All I have to do is use a 2 pole antenna selector switch that connects the RF output of either transmitter to the input to the SWR bridge, HO-10 and tuner to the antenna.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015