The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:14:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those d$&* plastic ethernet plug latches (RJ45)  (Read 6745 times)
n4wc

« on: December 19, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »

Does anyone know of a "trick" (something simple) on how to secure a broken latch RJ 45 plug in its socket without gluing the d$%* thing in?

Maybe I need to spend money on a Radio Shack crimp tool and spare plugs.  Too bad they don't sell them at the "Dollar" store!

Not a professional computer guy, just a hamhanded on a regular basis latch breaker.

Bill   N4WC

Bill Cook
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »

Cut a small strip from a business card or some slightly heavier type paper. Place it inside the jack, along a side, and insert the RJ45 male connector. It should provide a snug fitting.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »

The most common reason for that latch breaking happens while trying to pull the cable through a bundle of other cables.  That's almost a 100% possibility of breaking the latch.  When trying to snake a cable through a bundle either temporarily tape the  connector over with tape and then pull it through or grasp the connector with one hand protecting the latch and pull the cable through the bundle with the other. Otherwise try Pete's suggestion or get the tool kit to repair the cable and attach a new connector.

There are cables now that have a protective piece that the latch folds under.  That helps avoid this problem.

Al
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:44:58 PM »

Don't bother JS-ing the old cable.  Buy a cable with the protective hood that stops the clip from snagging.  I wouldn't bother re-terminating an RJ45 cable unless pulling in a new cable is a PITA.  Even my free time is worth more than that...

Ian VK3KRI
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »

At work a few years ago, on my issued Apple laptop, I broke the little plastic tab in the female connector that the latch locks onto.  Accidentally yanked the cable a little too hard when I picked up the laptop and forgot that the cable was still connected. I could shove the plug into the socket, but nothing to hold it in place and the slightest tug would pull it out.  I inquired about getting the connector replaced and was told that the laptop would have to be completely disassembled and it would cost about $300 to fix it.  All because of a little piece of brittle plastic not much bigger than the head of a pin. So I was always careful that things would be positioned so that the Ethernet cable wouldn't get even the slightest tug while I was using it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »

Don't bother JS-ing the old cable.  Buy a cable with the protective hood that stops the clip from snagging.  I wouldn't bother re-terminating an RJ45 cable unless pulling in a new cable is a PITA.  Even my free time is worth more than that...

Ian VK3KRI

Yep
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »

I have installed thousands of those plugs.   They are super simple to replace. But yes, You need the tool. 

C
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:51:11 AM »

Were that the standard was the AN/MS type!

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA1ZGC
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »

Does anyone know of a "trick" (something simple) on how to secure a broken latch RJ 45 plug in its socket without gluing the d$%* thing in?

Yep. All you need is a tie wrap, a sharp shiny thing, and five minutes of your time:

http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/diy-project/repair-broken-ethernet-cables-with-tie-wraps-103521
n4wc

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »

AHHHH!  nice!
I knew duct tape was good for everything except ductwork ;-)
Ty wrap or is it tie wrap that is just neat!

Thanks

Bill

Bill Cook
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »

That's why you just forget about using stupid Ethernet and go wireless Cheesy

It's built into every new mac and almost all PC laptops now.

I'm sure that 'Wireless'  will never catch on ......

Merry Christmas to All ... Ian VK3KRI
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »

I see no reason for stand alone PCs and or Ethernet cables.   You can get a top of the line laptop now with a big screen, huge Drive and loaded with memory for $699.  They all have wireless built in.  Put a simple and cheap wireless router near your cable modem or DSL modem and you have freedom. 

It really takes down the amount of crap in your station. Just a laptop, a power cord and you. 

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015