The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: about to through this apache out the window  (Read 12425 times)
NR5P

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »

I didn't have it on its side THAT time when I was applying plate voltage.  but I had earlier.   It's almost got all new tubes in it now.  I might as well replace the rest while it's down.  Also going to go ahead and replace the rest of the caps to.  I'm going to wait until i get it going first.
NR5P

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 10:52:09 PM »

ya I thought about changing that to operate on the power switch and just let it warm up a while before operating. 
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 11:07:06 PM »

Put the rig on a power strip. You should not have power to it when you are not home anyways. 

The Japanese Audiophools will give you BIG BIG money for those Mullard EL34s Smiley

C
kg8lb
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »

The EL-34s are operating in the Apache on the ragged edge of their design limits. Most power tubes resort to plate cap terminals as they approach these voltages. With the Apache the margin for error is small. Some operators ,in an effort to "take it easy" on the old rig will load the final below the rated current. With the Apache, with just a little too much audio this can result in some higher than intended voltages in the modulator. In damp environments or even in the case of  dusty EL34 sockets arcing is not uncommon. There have been plenty of Apaches with carbon tracked sockets from this condition. I had one that actually welded the tube pin to the socket contact. The next likely spot for an arc is inside the tube itself.

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »

The Japanese Audiophools will give you BIG BIG money for those Mullard EL34s Smiley

Yea, the following web sight sells them for $425 / pair!

http://www.audiotubes.com/el34.htm

** See the two UTUBE video's on the EL-34 at the same website  listed above...

I bought a Gonset G50 off Ebay, and to my surprise instead of a pair of 6L6 modulators, it had a vintage pair of Genalex KT77's! Those are worth a lot if a NOS matched pair. A nice surprise.

Jim
WD5JKO

KC2IFR
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »

The El34's will work just fine.
Bill
NR5P

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »

is there actually a noticable tone difference in the different tubes that would concern us?  I play guitar and I no they say it makes a difference in guitar amps but unless you a/b them I don't know if you could tell.
kg8lb
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »

Keep the sockets clean and dry. Make sure to back off the audio when the final is loaded lightly .  Recessed sockets help but they can still flash over to adjacent pins.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015