The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:57:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astatic D-104 repair  (Read 39496 times)
KK4RF

« on: December 05, 2009, 01:49:20 PM »

Gentlemen:
     Anybody here try the RB Micro replacement parts to repair the D-104? At $25 it looks good as long as it sounds good. My D-104 has a dead element. Any ideas?   ---Marty, KK4RF---
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »

Check ebay for old beat up D-104's.....
My prize D-104 was won for 12 bucks.  It was in AWFUL cosmetic shape.  Pitted chrome and bad paint on the base.  But a little TLC and it looks better than new!  The element is great!  It's an unamplified, no ptt on base or stem.  Just as plain as you can get but it sounds really good going into the 12ax7 audio front end.

I followed some of the tips found on http://www.k3hkr.com/D104_repair.html

Diet Pepsi rubbed into all the chrome de-pitted it great!  It's like magic! (the secret is the phosphoric acid and go with diet so you don't have sugars)

Mothers Chrome and Mag polish restored all the luster.  Sanded, primed and spray painted the base with Rust-o-leum Hammered Gray and it looks original.  That RB micro has felt for the bottom cut and ready to apply.

Point is, cheap old beat up D-104's on Ebay just might yeild you an authentic HiZ Astatic crystal element.  I simply would rather one instead of these "replacements" that are out there now.

AMI#1684
KK4RF

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »

John,
     Thanks for the tip and the helpful link. I'd like to repair the one I've got with a new element if possible. I've heard that Radio Shack used to sell cheap electret mics and wondered if anybody had used one of those into an old D-104. Think I'll check Radio Shack's website. Thanks again.---Marty, KK4RF---
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »

Marty,

Check with Omnitronics. see info below. They used to sell the elements, but that was six years ago.

Jim
WD5JKO

> -----Original Message-----
> From: D Gregg [mailto:dgregg@omnitronicsllc.com]
> Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 9:30 AM
> To: Candela, Jim
> Subject: Re: D104 Mic element needed
>
>
> Jim
> We sell the PMC320 crystal elements for $19.99 plus $7.00 shipping.
>
> Duane Gregg
> Senior Technician
> Omnitronics
> 440-593-1111 ext.212
KK4RF

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »

Jim
     Thanks for idea. I'll give Omnitronics a call this week.
               ---Marty, KK4RF---
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »

Most of those little mic cartridges don't come anywhere near a good D-104 hooked up to the right audio amplifier.

Many sound pretty bad.

If you google around enough freq response charts are out there.
KK4RF

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:52:58 PM »

Gentlemen,
     It is with much chagrin that I report that my D-104 microphone has not been dead all this time, but in fact was only hooked up wrong internally. This mic had been given to me with an improperly wired plug. I hadn't considered this before now. I got into it, hooked it up to my Globe Scout with clip leads into the base and it seems to work OK presently. I now need to get a plug for the end of the cable.
     Anyway, thanks for all the help. Wish I'd looked before I leapt!---Marty, KK4RF---
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »

STill, it's good info.

Did you get ahold of Omnitronics anyway?
Several others might need replacement cartridges.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »

That's great Marty after all.  It makes me wonder how one can test a D-104s xtal cartridge without just putting it live in a circuit.  I ask because I was given a REALLY bad shape D-104 by someone who found it in an actual flea market, knew I was into radio so they picked it up for me.  It's wired for some 8 pin probably cb transceiver.  Would putting an AA battery across the xtal make it put out static noise like on a small speaker?  Moreover, would this damage it?  What about an ohm check... what should we see? Several million ohms?  I would think that reading might not necessarily mean it's all good.  Aw the heck with it, I'll just pull the head and sub into my good non-amplified D-104 stand and see... but what if i didn't have that option?  Doh, I should just scope it and look for good audio on the scope.

AMI#1684
KK4RF

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »

Gentlemen:
     I didn't call Omnitronics although I did look them up on Google. It's also from Conneaut ,Ohio, hence I suspect that must be a company that took over Astatic.
     I'm ordering a couple of the 1 pin amphenol-type  connectors so that I can hook up the D-104 to my Globe Scout and my newly-acquired Hallicrafters HT-40. I can then compare the old Turner 350-C hand mic with the D-104.
     I'm not certain what the D-104 element should read on a VOM. It has a high impedance element, but that's impedance and not necessarily resistance. I'm certain that somebody reading this posting could give a good answer on this question.
     Actually, the way I tested my D-104 was by clip-leading into the base of the mic, and connecting the leads to the mic input on the Globe Scout. I then turned on the transmitter into a dummy load and I watched the audio waveforms  on my newly-repaired Heath SB-614 scope/monitor.  Things looked good. I'm not certain how it will sound on the air yet, however, as my antenna is on the fritz. That's a project for another day.
     Thanks to all who've replied. I really learn a lot by reading what's on this website. It's one of the best on the net.
                                      ----Marty, KK4RF---
KI4ES
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »

Mouser stocks some replacement crystal elements that some are buying and remarketing with a 5X mark-up.  They sound pretty good.  Catalog page link:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/640/1823.pdf

The 25LM024 Kobitone is what most folks use.
W8UJX

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »

I picked up a D-104 at the flea market a few years ago.  The mic looks pretty good and works but I am wondering if there is any way you tell if the mic has the authentic HiZ Astatic crystal element?

Jerry/W8UJX/CA
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »

I picked up a D-104 at the flea market a few years ago.  The mic looks pretty good and works but I am wondering if there is any way you tell if the mic has the authentic HiZ Astatic crystal element?

Jerry/W8UJX/CA

Here is a pic from http://www.k3hkr.com/D104_repair.html site.  The tin covered diaphram in the center of the inside of the head is a D104 cartridge, replacements do not look like that at all.

* D104_head_parts.jpg (58.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2575 times.)

AMI#1684
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »

Try Amateur Electronic Supply in Milwaukee.

I bought a Astatic element from them 2 or 3 years ago. Who knows what they've got in the back room..
W8UJX

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »

Thanks John,

Looks like I have the original Astatic xtal element.  The wind sock was firmly attached to the element but I raised one end enough to see the element.  In addition, there was a label on the back of the element holder that read, “Made by Brush Development Co. or The Astatic Corp”. 

Jerry/W8UJX/CA
KK4RF

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »

KI4ES,
     I didn't see your name. Thanks for the Mouser link. That particular element has a 9,000 ohm impedance. Is that enough for tube transmitter like a Globe Scout or Hallicrafters HT-40?
     Thanks again to everyone.
                                      ---Marty, KK4RF---
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »

The Kobitone elements are not a suitable replacement for a genuine D-104 element.

They will "work" but don't expect good tone like you get from a properly terminated healthy D-104.

If you spent a lot of time in the artillery please disregard this post.
W8UJX

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 09:05:59 PM »

I have heard the original Astatic element provides the best response.
That's the reason for my original post.
Tnx,
Jerry/W8UJX/CA
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone called that number I posted at Omnitronics? Yes that was in 2003, and the company webpage switches to another, but that gentleman who I posted his number and extension might still be there.

you folks might laugh, but I dropped my D104 many years ago, and the Mic was shot, low output and severe distortion. So I said, what the heck, and I took the darn thing apart. I used a razor blade around the outer edge of the foil diaghram, and broke the glue seal at the middle rod. The crystal element was intact. The inner rod, or piston was as I recall (been 20 years now) glued at each end. I had no glue (looks like glyptol would do), so I used hot candle wax. Yes hot candle wax at each end. All I had that night. Then I found some gasket sealer and glued the diaghram back on. Then more wax at the center to seal the rod to the diaghram.

Did it work? Hell yes!! It not only worked, but it sounded pretty good too. Then the following summer the garage got hot as heck (Texas summer), and I suppose the wax melted. Give it a try, YMMV.   Tongue

Jim
WD5JKO
WB6NVH

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 01:04:53 AM »

If I recall correctly, there was an article in Electric Radio about repairing the elements just that way.  I have the impression that the stuff is actually a hard wax rather than a glue.

Somewhere, on one of the other forums or maybe a different topic here, a bunch of people were complaining that the "replacement" D104 cartridges on eBay are not close to genuine but rather Oriental telephone earpiece elements bought from Mouser and marked up.  And that they do not sound as good.

Putting something else into the D104 would just result in a D104 stand and holder retaining something unrelated.  Sometimes that can sound pretty good, such as some of the electrets, but it's not a D104 anymore!

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 02:05:02 AM »

Even Heil has a replacement element but it's not anyting like the D-104.  But it probably sounds okay.  Anyone ever hear one?

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/parts/d104.htm

* D-104-lg.jpg (16.47 KB, 500x500 - viewed 2474 times.)

AMI#1684
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »

that looks lke a little condenture mic. I would question itz frequency responce with that little hole.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »

I just did a little more research on it and it's their HC-5 mic element.  Good to go for "Modern rigs" but if you have a vintage rig they do include an XT-1 High Impedance transformer.

I don't think old beater D-104's are that difficult to find at ham fests and even ebay.  I've always had good luck with them having intact, good original xtal cartridges.

AMI#1684
KK4RF

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »

John,
     I did check ebay the other day and there were tons of D-104s up for bidding on. That may well be the best approach. Hopefully my old D-104 will hang in there.
                 ---Marty, KK4RF---
NR5P

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »

I just got done repairing my d104.  The diaphram was all dented up, the wax was loose going to the crystal, and the diaphram was loose going all the way around because of the glue being dryed up.  I used an exacto knife to get the non dryes glue off around the diaphram.  Then I straightened out the element and glued the crystal back down(It has little plastic legs) MC-320 element.  used super glue for the element and remelted the wax on the "stick" going to the crystal.  If that is missing you can probably use wax from a candly, I used a lighter to melt it.  I still have yet to see how it works though
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015