The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:28:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tum Tum in Ohio  (Read 3805 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« on: November 23, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »

Last night on 75 meters I signed out with Tron and Dave W2VW then slipped up to 3885 for a quick listen.  I heard a familiar voice from Colo., KD0HG. Bill was pounding in and it was only 8:15PM EDT. I nearly fell out of my chair when he turned it over to Steve KL7OF in Tum Tum, Washington and I could actually hear him. What, is it midnight or something?Huh

I called in after Steve's 'ol buzzard about the tube shoot and Bill quickly turned it over to me.

We had a nice 3 way chat. Steve was S9+5 at times and Bill stayed at a rock solid +20.

Here's looking at ya Steve. I'm sure I'll be hearing you more this season.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »

No, it's called a peak in propagation near sunset - 5-6 PM where those guys were. During this time of the fall/winter, the best time for those of us on the east coast to work the guys out west is probably 7-9PM our time - assuming the QRM is low.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »

It was maybe an hour past sunset here and Steve mentioned that the sun was just then setting in Washington state.

Good hearing you, Bud!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »

OHH...... so that's how it works??? Ya learn sumpthin new everyday.

Thanks Steve! OBTW, that transformer we emailed about is now at the post office. I hope it works out for ya. If not, just pass it on.

Thanks Bill, it's always a pleasure hearing the AM Voice of the Rockies!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:26:44 AM »

I was listening into you, Buddly - Tron, Dave and later Bill and Steve in Tum Tum as I worked in the shack.

Bud you were very strong listening on the west delta loops, while down on the local dipole, showing lower angles. I could copy Steve in Tum Tum FB at about 58.  But it was surprising hearing Bill/HG - he was fading rapidly up and down about the same strength on the low dipole and high loops. It was as if the band couldn't make up its mind as to the proper angle it wanted to use from CT to Colo... Grin

I'm siked to put these new rigs thru their paces - hope to be on in the next weekend or two for coast-coast wid the HuzMan.  Thank Godzilla the corntest is over.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KL7OF

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »

Great to work you guys!!   Bud...Your signal was building as the QSO went on....Bill in Colorado was very strong ...Around 10 PM local time I worked WA1QIX and WB2CAU... The entire country seemed to be coming in on 75 as I was able to work the east coast the midwest and the west coast all at the same time...Good radio evening....Steve
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »

That's good to know, Vu. Just yesterday afternoon I was able to get the inverted Vee a bit higher. I went from 40ft at the feed point, 15ft at the ends up to 60ft across the entire antenna making it a true dipole.

Seems to have made a nice difference.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »

That's good to know, Vu. Just yesterday afternoon I was able to get the inverted Vee a bit higher. I went from 40ft at the feed point, 15ft at the ends up to 60ft across the entire antenna making it a true dipole.

Seems to have made a nice difference.

Yep, I think so.

Coincidently, I did something similar two days ago.  I had been experimenting with the local dipole at 50' and the ends at about 40'. I used my other antennas as a reference for quick A/B switching over a month's time.

Just yesterday I raised the dipole up to 60' center and 55' ends. I see a difference even into Europe for low angle. It seems that as we approach the 1/4 wave area (60' or so) the dipole comes to life for farther out stuff, as you might expect.

Youse gots your ant at a nice height now, OM - esp the dipole being flat and also being in the semi-middle of the country for shorter hops stateside..

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015