The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:57:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2EWL Special - How Vintage SSB started in Ham radio  (Read 20512 times)
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« on: November 20, 2009, 01:32:52 PM »

This topic is a little off topic on an AM forum, but I just cannot get over how innovative Tony Vitale was when he developed a phasing type mobile transmitter based upon the BC-458 command transmitter. I might be wrong, but that two band heterodyne scheme from a 9 Mhz crystal with a 5-5.6 Mhz VFO set the standard for LSB on 80M and USB on 20M. I have scanned the article from the early 1950's, and posted a link to it.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/W2EWL/W2EWL_Special.PDF

What strikes me reading the W2EWL article is that the passion to innovate and further the state of the art was big at that time and it was for SSB when the appliance operators ran AM!

So can anyone construct a time line relating the W2EWL special, Central Electronics (CE 10a. 10b, and 20a) introductions, and the Lakeshore Industry "Phase Master" transmitter? Who did what first, and who copied whom?

Jim WD5JKO

Here is some more vintage SSB history I uncovered with some web surfing courtesy of Google:

http://www.ac6v.com/73.htm

Tony Vitale  W2EWL who lived in Denille NJ wrote an article in CQ in the early1950's  entitled "Cheap and Easy Sideband".  It was a 9 Mhz USB phasing generator tweaked for optimum suppression on LSB and an ARC-5 used as a 5 Mhz VFO.  It summed the 9 Mhz USB signal and 5 Mhz VFO to work on 20 meters.
Sum mixing does not invert the USB signal.  It used  difference mixing to work on 75 Meters, causing the USB signal to be  inverted to LSB.  At this time commercial SSB rigs were virtually non  existent.  Shortly after this article was published, Wes Schaum &  Joe Batchelor formed Central Electronics and utilized a similar design to  make the 10A, 10B, & 20A. The few hams using "Ducktalk" had only the  capability of USB on 20 meters and LSB on 75 meters.  Thus the  convention was set.  When other rigs like the 10A, 10B, & 20A  came along, they followed the precedent that had been set by the "Cheap and Easy Sideband" article by Tony Vitale.  I met Tony in 1975 when I worked for Cessna. Tony retired in the late '70's and died in the mid  80's.

http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Lorne/w2ewlside.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Lorne/w2ewlfront.jpg

here  is another one built:
http://www.ohio.net/~ka8wtk/458/458.htm

Some  more history:

Single sideband This is not to suggest that no amateurs  were developing the art in the SSB field, still a controversial  area.

Tony Vitale WZEWL, made many a convert with his cheap and Easy  S.S.B.''
('March 1956) an ingenious phasing-type exciter built in and  around a surplus BC-458 transmitter.

Murray Crosby, WZXSY,  described his ''product detector'' in May, l 956 and made it impossible  for anyone during the following years to peddle a sideband receiver that  didn't have something labeled a ''product detector."

In September 1957  Howard Wright, MQPNB, one of the early sidewinders described the "Third  Method of S.S.B. Generation" a system primarily of academic  interest.

In 1960 the 7360 beam-deflection balanced-modulator be was  introduced and in the same year Joe Galeski WWIMP described his three-tube  complete filter sideband transmitter which certainly must have set some  kind of a record for minimums.

By 1960 the pattern of  linear-amplifier design was firmly established; tetrodes operation ABl for  high-sensitivity applications, or grounded-grid Class B triodes when 30 to  100 watts of drive was available.
Historical articles from  the
1964  issues of QST.  Submitted by Jim Linn, WB8RRR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Central Electronics reflector:
Sent: Mon, November 9, 2009
Correction folks.  Wes Schum started Central Electronics  without Joe Batchelor in 1948 after he was released  from active military duty.  His first series of products had to do with  language lab and hearing aid equipment for the profoundly deaf.  These were  marketed by the J. Warren Company. The 10A, and the 10B had been released and  development of the 20A was essentially completed when Joe and Wes met by  chance at a Chicago-land hamfest in 1954.

Joe, like many others, had leveraged the vast depths of WW-II surplus to make sideband rigs available in the very early 1950's.  His rig was built using the BC-696 as a transmitter foundation, but with an on-frequency 75-meter  phasing generator.  Wes, however, developed his CE exciters, using a 9MHz heterodyne scheme as an all-band manufactured product expressly for radio amateurs. Other than the BC458 pressed into vfo service (as he could buy  a palletload of them for twenty bucks) the CE exciter line was a pure ham radio product.

The CE 10A was first advertised in QST magazine in September 1952, however, the little set was available to Chicago area hams for some time prior to this  country-wide marketing move. Wes was aggressively spreading the word about  single-sideband at area hamfests well before he could  afford hist first QST ad.

Joe's initial contribution to Wes's Central Electronics. in 1954-1955, was the design of broadband couplers of the 600L amplifier....although his association with Wes was initially forged by their joint collaboration on a revolutionary no-tune transmitter concept each shared:  the 100V.  The amplifier was built to give folks a first taste of no-tune technology. Joe had  to relocate to Chicago from Walnut Grove, GA as his initial broadband coupler design was not readily reproducible for manufacturing.  How the  couplers became such was through the intense labors of Wes and Tom Clemens  W9OKA (SK).  Wes understood the sensitivities of manufacturing processes  whereas Joe continued to search for perfection in an imperfect world.  Yet,  it was Joe's genius that yielded the innovations that set CE apart and  fortunately garnered the interest of Zenith and Karl Hassel.

So, if ever there was a "Odd Couple" pairing in amateur radio's  history it has to be Wes and Joe's association during the 100V's  development.  You could not have paired two entirely opposite  personalities onto such a complex and technically demanding project,  intentionally, without a lot of sparks and fire.  Somehow, they made it  work.  I have the schematic of Joe's W4EGK 75-Meter SSB Exciter/Transmitter  and will be happy to post if it is of interest as well as a picture of Wes and  the first 100Vs coming off final test. 

73  Nick, K5EF

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »

Hams were designing phasing-type exciters back in the late 40's. There are a number of articles in QST during that period that were not that difficult to build with junk box parts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

The first articles that I know of on the subject of practical amateur SSB appeared in R/9 magazine in late 1933 and early 1934.  First, there was an explanation of what SSB was, then basic theory on how it worked, and finally a construction article for a 75m SSB transmitter.

The SSB signal was generated at barely ultrasonic frequencies, filtered with a L-C filter made from audio transformers, and then heterodyned twice to reach a limited segment in the 75m band.

This is not hearsay; I have all three instalments of the article in my magazine collection. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »

Here is a transmitter I think was built from that article..... (a bit out of focus, but you get the idea)

* 458-1.jpg (55.67 KB, 640x398 - viewed 1124 times.)

* 458-2.jpg (32.98 KB, 350x451 - viewed 758 times.)

* 458-3.JPG (85.19 KB, 640x480 - viewed 824 times.)

Bill KA8WTK
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »

This is not hearsay; I have all three instalments of the article in my magazine collection. 

Don,  This sounds interesting. Maybe you can scan and post them one at a time. I bet Pete will look the other way concerning the copyright issue since the authors and the publication are all long gone..

Jim,
WD5JKO
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 01:08:18 PM »

Don,  This sounds interesting. Maybe you can scan and post them one at a time. I bet Pete will look the other way concerning the copyright issue since the authors and the publication are all long gone..

Jim,
WD5JKO

Actually, R/9 Magazine has been succeeded by CQ magazine. The question to ask is whether CQ Magazine cares what you do with R/9 articles at this time.

Further, the link you provided displays a QST article which might raise the eyebrows of Headquarters staff since there's no indication that permission had been granted to post the article.

There was also a great SSB construction article in GE Ham News 1950 (Nov/Dec issue) called SSB Jr. I believe Ham News had several SSB contruction articles back in the 50's.

In Nov, 1948, CQ had an article on Phase Shift Exciter. Also, in 1953, they ran a article, starting in March 1953 and spread over 5 issues, called "Getting Started on SSB".

k6hsg

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »

I have a National HRO receiver that has a chassis attached to the back that I think is the circuit described in the ARRL "Single Sideband for the radio amateur"  first edition page 103.  The article is by Donald E. Norgaard, W2KUJ, listed as W6VMH in the fifth edition of the same book.  It refers to a July 1948 QST as the source for the reprint.  The article is titled "Single-Sideband Reception by the Phasing Method".
 I bought it on EBAY and haven't done anything with it yet.  To busy working on my AM rig.

John, K6HSG

John,  K6HSG  Tucson, Arizona
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »

Actually, R/9 Magazine has been succeeded by CQ magazine. The question to ask is whether CQ Magazine cares what you do with R/9 articles at this time.

I'm not sure if CQ Magazine has any control over R/9 copyrights.  In the early 30's, the publishers of R/9 and Radio closely collaborated and both originated in California. Each one even ran ads for the other in their magazines, but they very deliberately emphasised that they were two separate, independent magazines, until late 1935 when it was announced that starting in January of 1936 the two magazines would merge into one publication.

R/9 was a small format magazine like the old CQ and QST while Radio was large format, about the same size as those publications to-day.  The merged publication retained the name Radio, but went to the small format like R/9's.

Radio magazine continued publication through WW2 and for a while after VJ Day, but shortly after the beginning of the War when ham radio was closed down, they changed from a predominantly amateur radio publication and became devoted to industrial electronics.  After the war, the publishers of the pre-War amateur oriented west coast magazine regrouped, moved to NYC, and launched a separate amateur publication under the title CQ.  The format, style, content, authors and editors of the early CQ's were virtually the same as the old pre-War Radio. About the only thing that appeared different was the title printed on the cover, the location of origin and the cheaper binding of the early CQ's. All the while however, Radio continued its existence as a separate publication, but as an industrial electronics rag with little radio content, commercial or amateur.

So the question is whether or not CQ would have any controlling interest over Radio or R/9 copyrights after this somewhat complicated series of mergers and spin-offs.  R/9 did not simply morph into Radio, and Radio did not change directly into CQCQ started out as a brand new publication that continued the format and content orientation that had been abandoned by Radio.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 03:21:06 PM »

"Further, the link you provided displays a QST article which might raise the eyebrows of Headquarters staff since there's no indication that permission had been granted to post the article."

So did the ARRL post copyright protection back in the 30's, 40's, 50's? If not then the content is public domain. You cannot retroactively do that. If they did post, then the copyright protection has since expired. Did they renew? If not, then this content is public domain. 

http://inventors.about.com/od/copyrights/a/expiration.htm

When Copyright Protection Becomes Public Domain

Published before 1923 - now in public domain
Published from 1923 to 1963 - When published with a copyright notice © or "Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]" - copyright protection lasts 28 years and could be renewed for an additional 67 years for a total of 95 years. If not renewed, now in public domain.
Published from 1923 to 1963 - When published with no notice - now in public domain
Published from 1964 to 1977 - When published with notice - copyright protection lasts 28 years for first term; automatic extension of 67 years for second term for a total of 95 years.

It is too bad we cannot get back to discussing radio. This "legal" issue reminds me of taking my 12 year old daughter to the ballgame. At the ticket counter, several unsavory looking fellas were passed by until it was my daughters turn. She was taken aside and thoroughly searched by a lady cop while 10 more suspicious looking people were waved by.

Jim
WD5JKO

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »

Actually Jim, you brought it up. But, to answer your question, the copyright notice for each issue of QST, or at least the May 1958 QST from which the article came from, appears on the Table of Contents page, left side, under the Offices banner, 3rd paragraph.

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »

Actually Jim, you brought it up. But, to answer your question, the copyright notice for each issue of QST, or at least the May 1958 QST from which the article came from, appears on the Table of Contents page, left side, under the Offices banner, 3rd paragraph.

Pete,

OK, so after 28 years does the ARRL renew the copyrights as they expire? If not, then the content becomes public domain. It seems that the ARRL makes blanket statements to protect their material from day 1, back to the nineteen-teens. If they renew, then Pete you have a great point. If they don't then we are missing out on a lot of neat radio stuff while trying to protect something that is already public domain.

Maybe someone with a legal perspective can chime in.

Jim,
WD5JKO
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 01:30:43 AM »

Google is doing an online library project, with the objective of scanning every book that was ever published and putting them online as they go out of print.

There is a copyright issue with books still in print, and they say they will respect the wishes of the authors of out-of-print books who object to putting it online, but if they cannot find the original author or copyright holder and the book is out of print, they have reached an agreement with the author's guild, to make those books available by default.

http://www.dailytech.com/Google+Author+Groups+Attempt+to+Address+Book+Scanning+Concerns/article16831.htm

- - -
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 02:28:40 AM »

Google is doing an online library project, with the objective of scanning every book that was ever published and putting them online as they go out of print.

There is a copyright issue with books still in print, and they say they will respect the wishes of the authors of out-of-print books who object to putting it online, but if they cannot find the original author or copyright holder and the book is out of print, they have reached an agreement with the author's guild, to make those books available by default.

http://www.dailytech.com/Google+Author+Groups+Attempt+to+Address+Book+Scanning+Concerns/article16831.htm

But will they offer browsing them for free?

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »

But will they offer browsing them for free?

I think so, at least until the public gets acclimated to using the service.  Probably via ad-generated revenue.

- - -
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »

On the peter Millet site with lots of technical books on line, Pete talks about the copyright issue, and links to ways towards searching whether copyrights have expired, or are renewed. He does post several vintage ARRL handbooks as recent as 1959. He also states that anything copyrighted prior to 1923 is public domain whether it was renewed or not. He does not specifically discuss old QST magazine issues, but if the ARRL does not renew the copyrights for the old handbooks, then why would they bother, month by month, after 28 years, renew each and every issue of QST?

It sure appears to me that this forum needs to reconsider the policy of what can be posted, and what cannot be posted. If the excuse is legal concerns, then maybe the moderators need to review the legal aspects of copyright laws.

Here is some info pasted from Peters website

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

"I've found that most of the technical books published before about 1964 never had their copyrights renewed, so now are in the public domain.  So I am endeavoring to digitize and post some selected books relating to the "vacuum tube age" of electronics here.

I have checked to the best of my ability to confirm that these works have expired copyrights and are now in the public domain.  If you have information to the contrary, please contact me at:

xxxx@pmillet.com

Some books online, copyrights expired:

Radio Amateur's Handbook, American Radio relay League, 1936, 536 pages
The venerable ARRL handbook, 1936 edition.  Many of us learned all about tubes from this book (OK, in my case, one about 30 years later than this one).  Practical information on electronic fundamentals and tube circuits, and lots of ham projects - transmitters, receivers, antennas.  Cool catalog section at the end.

Download full text with index, CAUTION *VERY* LARGE 55MB PDF file
Radio Amateur's Handbook, American Radio relay League, 1941, 552 pages
Here's another edition a few years later, full-color catalog at the end.

Download full text with index, CAUTION *VERY* LARGE 79MB PDF file
The Radio Handbook, William Orr (editor), 15th edition 1959, 810 (!) pages
This is sort of an ARRL handbook on steroids.  Very complete, covering basic theory though practical construction of mostly ham radio equipment, though much applies to any vintage electronic project.  Has some transistor and semiconductor info but 90% vacuum tube, even a circuit for a tube-based VHF walke-talkie!  There are even sections on "high-fidelity techniques" and "electronic computers"!  Even includes a math section and info on how to set up your workshop (I like the "workshop-in-a-closet"!)

Download full text with index, CAUTION *VERY* LARGE 61MB PDF file
The Radio Handbook, Editors and Engineers, 7th edition 1940, 608 pages
An earlier edition of the above Radio Handbook, this has more of the feel of the ARRL handbook of 1940.  As you would expect the circuits in this older book use some older tubes, and no mention of semiconductors.  There is a section on "radio therapy", if you want to build your own diathermy machine!

Download full text with index,  18MB PDF file

It's too bad that this thread concerning the history of SSB ended prematurely, and apparently for no good reason.
The eyebrows at the ARRL that are being raised are most likely discussing how their FAQ does not mention copyright renewals, and expiration, and how people are still worried about old ARRL content that is already public domain.

So Pete, I could be wrong concerning the copyright issue with old QST's, but since several of the old ARRL handbooks were never renewed, then why would the ARRL's time and expense be spent year after year, month after month to renew this old stuff after 28 years?

It seems to me that discussing this old content is both a positive for the ARRL, and Ham radio. It appears however that some folks rather keep this content secret, and possibly bury it with them when they become SK.

Jim
WD5JKO
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »

Hi all,

Just an update on the ARRL copyright issue. I emailed the ARRL (permission@arrl.org) concerning the 1950's article I posted on my web space written about the W2EWL special. The email is pasted below in red. I was hoping the ARRL would clarify how they handle expiring copyrights. Do they just let them expire, or do they renew? If they renew, do they renew just certain content? Guess what? In two days, December 27th, my email to the ARRL will have been in their inbox for one month, still unanswered. I do not think the ARRL wishes to clarify this issue. As things are now, moderators of various forums fear legal issues from the ARRL, and police those who attempt to post anything from the good old days. If it was ever Copyrighted, then you can't post it - ever.

Maybe others can push the issue with the ARRL.  Go ahead and email them. I think we will find out that the ARRL content becomes public domain after 28 years, plain and simple.

permission@arrl.org

Jim
WD5JKO

Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 4:05 PM
To: permission@arrl.org
Subject: Need Clarification/Permission

Hi,

I recently posted a 1958 QST article, and I was reminded that I needed permission from the ARRL to do this because most if not all QST issues are copyrighted. Here is a link to the article:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/W2EWL/

I looked into the issue a bit and what I found was that all copyright materials prior to 1923 are now public domain. Newer stuff expires at 28 years of age, and can be renewed for 67 years more if renewed soon after expiration.

So does the ARRL automatically renew expiring copyrights, or do these simply become public domain after 28 years? If your copyrights expire without renew, then why does the ARRL FAQ not mention this?

If the posted article has been renewed, and has a valid copyright, then do I have your permission to keep it posted?

Jim
WD5JKO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015