The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:33:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visit SE Asia Radio Adventure  (Read 4360 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: November 16, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »

hello Gang,
We're planning a family trip to the Philippines. And I want to do some operating there. I know the ropes to get a temporary permit but was wondering what ideas yous guys would have for an effective antenna?
I wanted to keep RF away from the neighbors. People are jammed close together there. So, I'm thinking of a flat piece of land we own about 200 feet away from my wife's parent's house. It's flat and large but no trees to sling shot any antenna. Anything available for small time cheap DXpedition and would go through as airline baggage? I'd be willing to spend a little extra for baggage and probably leave there for a future visit.

Thanks

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1JS

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »

I saw one of these when an HRO rep. visited our radio club just last Tuesday:

http://www.superantennas.com/html/yp-3.html

Not cheap, but quality construction.  $380 at HRO, plus you need a mast.   

* a_Yagi_with_Crowd_2007[1].jpg (156.41 KB, 700x517 - viewed 405 times.)

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »

Fred, all you need to do once you get there is make it known you need a couple of temporary masts erected on the vacant property.  You can have all this done for you relatively cheaply, as opposed to bringing some antenna with you.  Maybe bring a dipole, ladderline, and a Johnson 275W matchbox and have the local boys erect the whole thing while you sit back and watch the drama while sipping a beer  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:23:54 AM »

hay Johnny, whats your current radio status? havent heard an update recently.  Huh

Phred, do whut Mr. Novice say. That same money down there would buy you a lot of help...... Grin or is it buyoff Huh?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:22:51 PM »

Passing around more than just money may help out with possible RFI issues.

klc

* Liquid bread.jpg (6.45 KB, 75x198 - viewed 392 times.)

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »

I will have to learn how to shift the gears in my life. It's a totally different way of living there. Folks in the USA cherish their vegetation time in front of the flat screen (Cant say tube anymore) and get annoyed when there are issues of RFI.

I'll deal with the locals and all of the problems that will come from language barriers if/when we move there. It's frustrating now to get the architect to understand how we want a future retirement house built so we can air condition and have enough electrical capacity for MOP radio and our western lifestyle. I cannot live in a bamboo shack with a flourescent light and a stand fan.

I did come across the "BuddiStick" a vertical with some radials and center loading coils. OR I could bring my High Sierra motorized mobile antenna and some radial wire, but the Buddistick fits in a nice case for easier baggage handling.

Johnny's having trouble finding some more coax for his adventure half way around the whirl.
John, You shudda brought a portable yagi wit ya. The one posted earlier.

FRED

Fred KC4MOP
K3ZS

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »

When I operated /OZ I took along a roll of stranded hookup wire and a small homemade L-tuner and SWR meter.    The lot was very small at our rented home,  and after a few futile attempts to string  up the wire somehow, I gave up.    I ended up using the TV coaxial lead-in as antenna.   I loaded up the shield as an end fed wire.  I assume the mast and TV antenna sort of acted like a capacity had.    Worked many locals on 80M and a few contacts on 20M with some friends back in PA.   At the time I heard JY1 but could not get a hold of him.    It was not the best antenna for sure, but I could do a lot of listening.    It was probably no more that 30 feet at the most.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015