The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Rally  (Read 22074 times)
KE6DF

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »

Is there any problem with participating if your rig doesn't meet the qualifications?

I realize you can't win and would be disqualified if you submitted logs, but can you get on and rack up QSOs just for the fun of it?

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 02:49:06 PM »

Is there any problem with participating if your rig doesn't meet the qualifications?

I realize you can't win and would be disqualified if you submitted logs, but can you get on and rack up QSOs just for the fun of it?

I guess you can.  I think I took the "heavy metal" part too literally.   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »

Fred said:
KØA will be on the air from Kansas City.
Millen heavy metal this year.

Now that is a sweet looking rig, Fred!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K9ACT
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 06:41:11 PM »

I guess you can.  I think I took the "heavy metal" part too literally.   

Seems like we all do it for fun and so few send in logs that, with a  bit of luck, nobody will except some guy with a Soft Rock and take the trophy.

K9A will be rocking the 8000's on 75 meters with my eyes glued to the Ip meter to make sure I don't go to radio jail.

I will make a few puffs on 160 with the 810 rig but the Heavy Metal takes priority.

And of course, I will be streaming audio and video all night on

http://stickam.com/k9act

If you sign up at sitckam (free) your face will be there too.

Jack K9A

K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »

Fred said:
KØA will be on the air from Kansas City.
Millen heavy metal this year.

Now that is a sweet looking rig, Fred!

Who's Fred?

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »

Yep.. Anyone in AZ that is not going to participate is more then welcome to come to my house for coffee and AM action on Sunday Dec27th. We are starting at 4:30pm

C
W3SLK

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »

Mike (who I thought was Fred) said:
Who's Fred?

Heh, heh! My bad! I looked your call sign up and inadvertantly dropped the 'A' from KA0ARA.  Tongue Thirty lashes with a spaghetti noodle for me.....

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 12:41:58 AM »

All 's Good..... Mike
Hope to work ur station Sunday, Sunday ,Sunday!!!!

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 08:50:01 AM »

Are there any changes in the rules from last year?  There was some talk about the rules being modified, but I haven't seen or heard anything with respect to this.

Can someone post the rules for 2009?  That would be great  Cheesy

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 09:11:42 AM »

I posted the link to the rules yesterday.... but here's a cut'npaste.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like the contest to start at 6:30 PM Eastern Standard time. That's 5:30 Central,4:30 Mountain, and 3:30 PM Pacific time. There is no official stop time, it stops when everyone gets tired or the band gives out.

What is the Heavy Metal Rally? The Heavy Metal Rally is a night for friendly AM QSOs, and it is open to anyone using commercial ham gear, restored broadcast, military, homebrew, anything that's AM capable. This is an AM event!

The Rules Suggested Frequencies: 1885 kc east of the Mississippi, 1915 kc west; 3830 kc, 3870-3890 kc, 7160 and 7290 kc nationwide. Let's not forget the possibility of working some European stations on 40 meters this year! Simple Scoring: You get 1-point-per-contact on each different band. If you work the same station on both 80 and 160 it counts for two points.

You get 1 additional point per contact if you are using all tube-type heavy metal.

There is 1 point for each different state worked. So, if someone works 20 stations in 10 different states with a Johnson 500 (for example), the score is: 20 contacts + 10 states + 20 tube points = 50.

Qualifications The idea behind the Heavy Metal Rally is to encourage the use of big tube-type transmitters that run the full legal limit. The winner should be running a rig weighing 250 pounds or running at least 250 watts. This includes big homebrew, military, and vintage commercial ham gear, and Class-E solid-state rigs as long as they meet the qualifications. For example, some vintage Navy rigs weighed in at over 300 pounds, but only produced 100 watts of carrier, that's still Heavy Metal! I suppose this includes the K7DYY transistor rigs too because they run the full legal AM limit. An imported transceiver running 25 watts into a heavy Henry amplifier qualifies too, but are these really what the Heavy Metal Rally is about?

We welcome the participation and the sound of smaller transmitters like Elmac AF-67s and Viking Rangers, Valiants, DX-100s, ART-13s, etc., but you can't win unless you're running a Heavy Metal rig! This is Heavy Metal night!

Contest Log Submissions Completed logs should be sent by email to Ray@ERmag.com or by US mail to the Electric Radio address printed inside the rear cover. Please have your point totals calculated when you send in your log, and be sure to mention the equipment used during the rally, and don't forget the photos! Last year the winner got a nice Heil Classic microphone, and we will have a prize this year for the event winner. I would like to run a special photo column with photos from this year's event, so don't forget to send me photos this year!

Have Fun and Keep Those Filaments Lit!

[Edited by nb9m on 12/17/09 01:15 PM]

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »

Wow, 6:30PM Eastern - Late!  Last year I think I started in at around 8:00AM or so, and continued until midnight.

Interesting that there's no stop time.  Does that mean it could go on for days  Grin  Huh

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »

Interesting that there's no stop time.  Does that mean it could go on for days

OKAY!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »

Last issue of ER, 5:30am(?) stop time next morning.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 06:42:57 PM »

EVERY night should be a Heavy Metal Night.

Maybe even Tim and Marcy are back from the honeymoon.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »

I heard Tron on this afternoon.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

Wouldn't you know it, last night all of the transmitter meter readings looked screwy and it looks like Mr. 304 is going gassy after 5 years.

Just dropped a 'new' JAN 1947 bottle in, reset bias, neutralized and loaded up.
Hopefully no more Murphy for a while.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »

Same here Bill. RF in the audio of the Viking Bud. Outta nowhere!!!

Re-wired the studio. It looks gone but we'll see!

Murphy was an optimist!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »

My imported exciter does not measure up.  Cry

Still in the lightweight division. I'll listen in on a heavy receiver the 75A2 or the RAO.
W3SLK

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2009, 12:08:14 AM »

I have my 'Limey Rig' at the ready. I'm hoping to hook up with Max from across the pond on 40M so that it may speak to the land whence it came  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »

My imported exciter does not measure up.  Cry

Still in the lightweight division. I'll listen in on a heavy receiver the 75A2 or the RAO.

If'n you can squeeze 250 whats outta the leenyar yer covered, Tim

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K9ACT
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »

The only date I have seen is Dec 27, 6:30 PM EST.

This would be Sunday night and not much fun for the working class.

Saturday night would make more sense and is probably what was meant.

Would someone please confirm the date?

Jack K9A
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 11:11:47 AM »

Jack, It is indeed 12/27.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 12:44:23 PM »

Last year people complained that it was over Xmas.  It was changed to the 27th sunday. This year, Everyone is complaining that its on sunday and that people have to work on monday.  Its a no win I guess Smiley

Unreal..   Murphys law steps in.   THe king ran rock solid.. now, its arcing again when I unkey!  Right before the Rally. 

C
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

The breaker will go poof. I am this close to taking the damn cover offa that box myself and trying the snap on choke thing. To me it's like opening a box to hellfire & brimstone  Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015