The AM Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:58:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Rally  (Read 22368 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: November 13, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »

Anyone have any news on the Heavy Metal Rally for this year and when it will occur?  Who intends to participate? This will be my first with the 813 Maul.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »

Hi Bob,

I just received my copy of ER the other day. The Rally is scheduled for Dec. 27th, and begins at 6:30 PM EST.

I for one will be participating, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Hope this helps!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:35:14 PM »

Hi Bruce,
I haven't received my issue of ER yet.  Maybe today.  Thanks for the heads up.  Looking forward to it.  Hopefully some of the big guns will be there.  They've been hiding lately.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »

I'll be back on 80m by then.

Maybe this year, "down low" will be a popular place to park.

After all, contests are exempt from any voluntary band coordination and have the right-of-way over all other activity.

Riiiight Huh?

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:55:40 AM »

I'll be back on 80m by then.

Maybe this year, "down low" will be a popular place to park.

After all, contests are exempt from any voluntary band coordination and have the right-of-way over all other activity.

Riiiight Huh?

Just contests...?

That's day to day activity, I thought.......

DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »

Excuse my ignorance , but what is this Heavy Metal Rally?

Is this another regional, East Coast thing? Huh

We landlocked ethanol types in the Midwest want to know Grin

Thanks

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WV Hoopie
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »

Will someone post this years rules? Yeah, I know, it is more of a AM promotion thing. Just want to make sure the Junkston Desk still qualifies Grin

Craig,
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »

the muddy water slappa only weighs 100 pounds, not heavy enuff to qualify.

That's all right, the HB rigs will. yeh, somebody post the rulez.
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »

Excuse my ignorance , but what is this Heavy Metal Rally?

Hi Phil,

It's a nationwide on-the-air operating event featuring the heaviest AM rigs, as defined by a combination of weight and power.

The event was conceived by Bill, KDØHG a few years ago, and there's a trophy and published accolades for the winner. 

Top stations have been defined, at least in part, by the numerical count of stations worked during the hours of operation.  I think there also has been a popularity poll among remarks sent in.

For some people, myself included, enjoying the turnout is more important than filing a log or trying to work the maximum number of stations.

In years past, myself and Bob, W2ZM, co-anchored a frequency and took turns all night funneling stations through. Some people would stay, and we would chat, others would come and go, collecting the calls of those gathered.  It worked well, because it served both the contest-types and those who wanted to sit and visit.

Bob put in 14 hours straight, and I put in about 11 that year.

W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »

the muddy water slappa only weighs 100 pounds, not heavy enuff to qualify.

That's all right, the HB rigs will. yeh, somebody post the rulez.

Put the Slappa inside the fridge and use it as the cooling system. Pow, instant 600lb tx'er.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »

my ol buddy Parker in Romney W8HSC actually built a transmitter in a fridge. I saw pictures of it last time I ran over there to visit. he didnt have any money to buy a rack so he used the fridge instead. Did a great job. had the meters mounted on the door, which worked the same way.

I miss park, he was a good guy.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »

my ol buddy Parker in Romney W8HSC actually built a transmitter in a fridge. I saw pictures of it last time I ran over there to visit. he didnt have any money to buy a rack so he used the fridge instead. Did a great job. had the meters mounted on the door, which worked the same way.

I'd love to see the pictures if you have them somewhere!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
WV Hoopie
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »

Parker & W8HSC rang a bell. Had to dig out the old logs, found Parker and his address, worked him Oct. 26, 1979. I use to pass through Romney once or twice a year.

Craig,
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »

There was that fella that was in ER that had the 'Kelvinator Kilowatt'. Now that was a kool rig, (pun intended). And would qualify for Heavy Metal Rally.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »

THIS coming Sunday, kids!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »

After mounting the Viking Bud, it's variac, VFO, Amplifryer and audio gear in the 6' rack I made 260 Lbs of "legal limit" A.M. !!!

I'll be there!
KL7OF

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »

Look for W7W from Tum Tum, WA.....20 meters, 75 meters and 160 meters.....I have really enjoyed the Rally in the past....I'll be looking for YOU!!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »

I'll have to re-tune the MK-214D for 160m. Its been awhile since I played with it down there but nothing like 'rock solid'  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »

BILL,
Nice to see the LED VU going into the red every now and then

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »

I'm looking forward to listening in on this.  Maybe participate next year if I have anything heavy.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »

I'm looking forward to listening in on this.  Maybe participate next year if I have anything heavy.

This is really a come one, come all event for AM. Call it the CQ sweepstakes evening for A-ngel M-usic. In the last 10 years of listening and participating I have heard and worked some of the finest sounding stations in the country. many of which (unfortunately) only hit the plate switch once or twice a year. This is big Rob and I hope conditions are good. Get that transmitter on the air and to heck with the points. Lets all get on and have a real fine AM night.

Mike
www.w8bac.com
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »

This is really a come one, come all event for AM. Call it the CQ sweepstakes evening for A-ngel M-usic. In the last 10 years of listening and participating I have heard and worked some of the finest sounding stations in the country. many of which (unfortunately) only hit the plate switch once or twice a year. This is big Rob and I hope conditions are good. Get that transmitter on the air and to heck with the points. Lets all get on and have a real fine AM night.

Mike
www.w8bac.com
Okay Mike but I'm currently running a plastic radio driving an amp.  I think you have to meet a weight or power requirement.  It's not a big deal; I'm happy to listen.   Maybe by next year I'll have the HT20 going and the outboard plate supply for the amp built.  I'll strap them all together with duct tape and they should weigh > 300 lbs.   Cheesy

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »

A couple of you asked for the "rules"....

Here you find them:

http://www.ermag.com/forum/thread.cfm?TID=236

K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »

KØA will be on the air from Kansas City.
Millen heavy metal this year.

* DSC03460-1.JPG (243.42 KB, 600x800 - viewed 451 times.)

* DSC03463-1.JPG (180.42 KB, 480x640 - viewed 492 times.)

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »

250lbs or 250 watts AM.   Anyone can participate but if you turn in your logs, you should be 250w or 250lbs+ of transmitter.

I am going to run the GK500C.   I have three RXers in the room for recieving on diff bands.  All my other rigs are to small in power or not functioning so I am with the one.

ALOT of people dont take this seriously and ALOT of people bend the rules..  So do what ever you want to have fun. Thats the point fun.  I know several that will be running Flex radios and Alphas. I know a guy running a ranger and an SB220. 

Its just a great time for AM and have fun and enjoy it!

Clark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015