The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:21:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald Nov.10 1975  (Read 5268 times)
WB2G
Contributing

« on: November 07, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »

Livonia Amateur radio club on 3865,They said it was slow,give them a call,I know it's SSB ,BUT IT IS A SPECIAL EVENT,info in Nov. QST.Joe WB2G

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:54:34 AM »

I love Gorden Lightfoot's 'matching' song too.

When I lived farther north and the snow started flying in October, we'd play that ballad over and over just to get the feel for the coming winter.

...always gave me a spooky feeling for the forces of Nature.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Detroit47

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »

I recall fishing on the Detroit river and seeing Edmund Fitzgerald. She was a big boat when you where close to it. I guess that dosen't matter on lake Superior though. Superior has a long history of sinking boats in November.

N8QPC
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »

Ah, yes...the Big Fitz. I was a freshman in high school when it went down with all hands, 26,000 tons of iron taconite pellets headed for the auto industry in Michigan. Can still remember Harry Reasoner reporting with the cheesie (by today's standards) graphic behind him. Some feel she was jinxed from the start since someone had a heart attack and died at the launching.  

Ended up doing a lot of research on it over the years, still have a paper report from high school somewhere in a box of junk. IIRC, CG report said that operator error was responsible, hatch covers not secured properly (they weighed several tons so supposedly the crew didn't bother to tighten down the clamps) but many years later someone discovered an error in the charts showing an incorrect depth around the shoals where they passed near the Canadian side of the lake, trying to avoid the heavy seas. So, many now believe she scraped her bottom and was taking on water until she plowed into a wave and never came out, nose diving to the bottom with the engine driving her down.

Got to Gordon Lightfoot twice, the song always drew wild applause. Well, 'wild' for a Gordon Lightfoot crowd, that is.  Grin

Wish I had the 80m aerial up now. Wonder how much the solid state box would object to the 40m dipole?  

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »

Can't seem to find them on the bands, too bad, not sure when they are on until.

Fascinating but tragic story.

Here is a link to the audio file with the radio transmissions between the Coast Guard and ships during the loss.
USGC radio op asked the master of the other vessel to come about and look for the Fitzgerald, interesting
back and back between the two.

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/VVL/dbnumbers/DB7449.mp3
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »

Thanks for the link Bruce, fascinating but sad!

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »

Canadians really treasure Lightfoot as they do all of their own that make the big time. When he got sick a few years ago, my ex wife (who could receive OTA canadian TV) said his health reports were a fixture for 2 weeks.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »

I worked them on 40 meters yesterday, N8F from Whitefish Point Lighthouse, Michigan. There were other stations and clubs on this weekend too.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

Damn, wish I'd known they were on. Just got down from cleaning leaves out of the gutters and moving a few things to the attic, fired up the KWM-380 and worked W0JH on 7261.88 from Split Rock Lighthouse in MN. Also a Fitzgerald special event station. He mentioned several stations who were on from Whitefish Point yesterday but said he hadn't heard them today.

Heard absolutely zero on 3865.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »

I was brought up in Canton NY near the St. Lawrence River and I would have been a freshman as well. My next door neighbor Jack McSorley was actually the captains brother.

Mike Wu2D

These are the good old days of AM
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »

My buddy Don, W9KQD, has been aboard the Fitz.  Think it was a scout tour in Milwaukee back in the 60's.  He fixed TV sets aboard the ore boats when he lived in Duluth - Superior and seems he fixed an old B&W TV aboard the Fitz in the early '70's.  The Arthur M Anderson (just ahead of the Fitz when she went down that stormy night) was seen off Michigan City Indiana in Lake Michigan about two weeks ago.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Ken - K2UPI

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »

When I was a Novice and later a new General I used to sked with the 1st Mate of an ore boat when it was on
Lake Ontario between Wolf Island and west end of the lake.  We were on 40 meter c.w. and as I recall he was
running a Heathkit DX-40 and a National NC-125.  He rigged up a Zepp antenna that would have to be taken
down during loading and off loading operations.  Good memories.   Cheesy

Ken/K2UPI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015