The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:11:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modulated waveform?  (Read 4590 times)
Edward Cain
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »

I don't understand the waveform of the 400 Hz modulated rf output from my BK 200D signal generator. I expected to see something similar to the output of my URM-25F (attached jpg). Instead I saw the second waveform(attached jpg).

What am I seeing from the BK instrument?

First time I've tried to attach pics to a message. Hope it works.

Ed

* URM-25F.JPG (63.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 312 times.)

* BK 200D.JPG (54.1 KB, 640x480 - viewed 341 times.)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:02:58 PM »

Check the ripple on the power supply of that generator.
Edward Cain
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »

Thanks BIL,
   I'll check that out. But don't be misled by the apparent difference in frequency of the two waveforms. The BK output is shown on a different timescale. The modulation? is, in fact, 400 Hz as best as I can estimate.

Ed
WV Hoopie
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »

Hey Ed,

I've seen a waveform pattern just like your second one! Only it was on my URM-25D. Went through that old beast and did the Dallas Lankford capacitor replacement stuff. (his URM-25 Notes 11-88 rev 1-94) Good pattern on the O scope now.

As a reminder to the choir, a good tech in a quality workplace sends his test/calibration equipment to a metrology lab on some sort of a schedule. Results should be kept in a data base of the test equipment and what stuff it was used to check or calibrate.

Always had a sigh of relief when the lab reports came back and the equipment was up to snuff. Bad day at the salt mines if it didn't.

Can't afford that on my own dime any more, but always do my darnest to test the test equipment somehow first. Got to wonder how many hams get bad results working on their radios because their test equipment was an auction place special in perfect working condition. Huh
WV Hoopie
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »

Thanks BIL,
   I'll check that out. But don't be misled by the apparent difference in frequency of the two waveforms. The BK output is shown on a different timescale. The modulation? is, in fact, 400 Hz as best as I can estimate.

Ed

Compare apples to apples. Different sig-gens at the same freq and 400 Hz, use same scope and same scope settings. What do you see?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »

The first waveform shows one signal modulated by another.

The second one shows the two signals with little or no intermodulation.  Just the sum of two signals at widely different frequencies.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »

The first waveform shows one signal modulated by another.

The second one shows the two signals with little or no intermodulation.  Just the sum of two signals at widely different frequencies.

Yup!  That's what it is

Al
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »

I think Buddly nailed it. Hay Bud!
Edward Cain
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 02:16:51 AM »

Thanks to all who replied. I seem to have fixed the problem by doing what the manual says and terminating the output with 50 ohms. Doh! Previously I was going direct to the scope thru a 10 meg probe.
   I don't, however, understand why the difference in impedance would change a modulated waveform to an unmixed superposition.
   In any event, I can use the generator.

Ed
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »

With the high impedance, you are likely picking up 60 Hz from various fields in the vicinity of your probe (test equipment power supplies, lights, AC wiring).
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »

I have a B&K E-200D signal generator and found that the high impedance mircrophone connector on the front panel (lower right) was susceptible to interference.

I replaced it with high quality BNC panel mount connector and problems dissappeared.

While I had the covers off, I cleaned all switches with Deoxit which improved frequency and output level stability.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 10:43:35 PM »

The B&K may have a crappy modulator design that needs the output circuit to be terminated to work right. Well as long as it is working, and you know about the termination requirement, you are good to go.

The only issue is that the item you attach it to could disturb the termination and therefore the wave. So just always double check the waveform.

Or, use a 50 Ohm 10dB attenuator on the B&K, if possible. That will firstly terminate the output well, and secondly give some isolation between the generator and the circuit to be injected.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015