The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:58:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When did a Router (rooter) become a rauter (as in out)??  (Read 8761 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: November 05, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »

Alright, someone besides me must have run into this..... Back in the dark ages of phase 3 DECnet, WAY before Cisco or any of the other modern router companies existed, we built network equipment, including Routers (pronounced rooters).

Every class I attended on the subject pronounced a router as a rooter.   Everyone I worked with called it a rooter.  The song Route 66 calls Route 66 root 66 and not raut (as in out) 66.

Fast forward about 30 years, and virtually everyone in IT calls a router a rauter (like out and not root).  Of course, my natural inclination is to use the standard pronouncation of rooter, and other IT folks look at me as if I'm crazy.

My unabridged Webster's dictionary states quite clearly that the preferred pronouncation is rooter.  Rout (as in out) is a different word.

Wha happa?

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »

So how do you pronounce the power tool "router". ?

I have heard people say something like:
"What route (raut) do I take to get there?.... route (root) 12 ?"

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »

Regional linguistics?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:46:09 PM »

A discussion in 2005:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/414316.html

A discussion in 2004:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=15631

Probably a topic that doesn't require a lot of brain pounding unless you're having a very slow day.

One could also ponder why some words are pronounced the same but spelled differently.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »

to-MAY-toe

toe-MAW-toe
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »

Lets call the whole thing off!  Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »

One could ponder a lot of things.

Roll Eyes

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »

The rooter / rauter discussion is made more interesting by the fact that rout (raut) is a DIFFERENT word, and this is the root word of the tool called a router (rauter).  Also means to remove by force, etc.  In absolute terms, rout and route should be pronounced differently due to the E vowell following the consonant preceded by a vowell or a diphthong  The E modifies the vowell sound, making it long (there are exceptions, after all - this *IS* English :-)

However, all of the research I have been able to muster reveals that r-out was historically a colloquial pronunciation of root (route), but that this colloquialism has become the "standard" pronunciation.

Usually this sort of thing happens over a longer period of time and that's what makes it interesting  Cheesy

Another word that goes back a LONG way is aunt (or is that ant?).  Going to see the insects this weekend dear :-) ?? I learned ah-nt, but lots of people I know (particularly from the mid-west and western n.y.) say ant and of course the meaning either way is completely clear.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »

Steve,

I'll bet you're proud of saying "rooter" to the computer geeks just like we OT's are proud of saying "kilocycles" to the newbie hams.

We want to let the newbies know we've been around a while.  Newbies have youth and endurance. OT's have experience and that is proved by knowing the old terms.  

George, W1GAC used to love saying "condensor"  just to put us newbies in our places.  So keep saying "rooter" around the newbies and be proud of it! ... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 03:19:57 AM »

So why don't you yanks pronounce the 'L' in solder ? Aint English wonderful!

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 04:02:15 AM »

So why don't you yanks pronounce the 'L' in solder ? Aint English wonderful!                                                                       
There's an "L" in sodder?      Who knew?    Tongue
Anyway... it's late... time to catch some zeds!   Tongue Grin

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 05:46:14 AM »

Steve,

I'll bet you're proud of saying "rooter" to the computer geeks just like we OT's are proud of saying "kilocycles" to the newbie hams.

We want to let the newbies know we've been around a while.  Newbies have youth and endurance. OT's have experience and that is proved by knowing the old terms.  

George, W1GAC used to love saying "condensor"  just to put us newbies in our places.  So keep saying "rooter" around the newbies and be proud of it! ... Grin

T

Usually, I use "their" pronunciation  Wink  Generally, when talking with other IT people and the conversation involves routing, I will say "hey, do we rout packets around here or route (root) them?".  Sometimes I get a little laugh, and about 80% of the time we rout (not root) packets  Cool

Hey, got a soddering i-ern?  I find the L is just barely spoken, and the R in iron is similar.  But, they are there slightly modifying the sound of the word.  However, that may be a New England thing (like aunt and not ant, rooter and not rauter, etc).

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »

You all on the east coast talk funny anyway! Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

The other night I overhead some W9's talking about how differently people talk in Canada compared to the US.  Maybe the guys in that QSO need to get out more. I would say that the differences in speech between New England, the rest of the east coast, Canada, Upstate New York, the Mid West and the west are all infinitesimal compared to the way people talk down here in the Southeast.  Ever listen to the Wally 'n Richard show on 3878?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »

One of the funniest conversations to hear is when a GI from N. Ireland hooks up with someone from the USA deep south.  Both sometimes have extreme trouble understanding the other.

For example, some Irish say "it" for "8" -  I heard two guys going back and forth repeatedly trying to get a "58" signal report through.  The Irish guy kept saying "it" "it" IT!"   The southern guy got totally confused... Grin

After a while of working DX in Europe it becomes easy to tell what country is calling in just from the accent. I can tell a Bulgarian from a Yugoslavian ham - or Moscow from a Polish one.  The Italians are so easy to pick out as well as the French.  The Germans are also very distinctive. The UK hams are probably the easiest. I still have a little trouble picking out the Aussies from the UK guys simply cuz I don't hear the VK's as often as UK.

As I've often told Steve/HUZ, (DXer Extraordinaire) when holding court and having a DX pileup calling you, the mark of experience is to listen closely to the deeper layers and pick out the accents to the rarer countries. Anyone can come back to the loud western Euros - but detecting say, an Arab or Greek accent and picking him out of the loud crowd is lots of fun.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »

Regional speech patterns are interesting.

Living in Iowa one hears a lot of "Fargo" like speech patterns here since we have many German and Norweigan offspring here. Many Canadians I have spoken with have the same type of pronunciation and speech patterns.

I have parents who live near Murray, Kentucky and they don't sound like southerners, even though they have lived there most of their lives.

Even though I lived in the South growing up, I still have problems deciphering what some Southerners may say. Case in point: We went to a restaurant in Paducah Kentucky one Sunday. A waitress ask me a question three times before I realized she was asking if I wanted a potato dish from the potato bar.  Cheesy

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »

Not only can the English speaking world generally understand each other (ok, with difficullty if'n your from the Isle of Mann or Queens Borough), but we can even interbreed.   Grin

Amazing.

Be proud of your minor differences; stand up for your heritage.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 10:45:10 AM »

Yes, very interesting. There are variations within regions. In the so called South, there is quite a difference in the typical accent found here in eastern Virginia compared to a typical accent from say Alabama.

I also hear differences in the coastal Maine guys and those from southern New England, like Connecticut.

Regional speech patterns are interesting.

Living in Iowa one hears a lot of "Fargo" like speech patterns here since we have many German and Norweigan offspring here. Many Canadians I have spoken with have the same type of pronunciation and speech patterns.

I have parents who live near Murray, Kentucky and they don't sound like southerners, even though they have lived there most of their lives.

Even though I lived in the South growing up, I still have problems deciphering what some Southerners may say. Case in point: We went to a restaurant in Paducah Kentucky one Sunday. A waitress ask me a question three times before I realized she was asking if I wanted a potato dish from the potato bar.  Cheesy

Phil - AC0OB
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »

I think the name was changed so they could charge more money.
Rooter reminds me of a pig I saw last week who got loose and dug up the farmer's front yard. It was a pisser because he was out by the street digging up a trench with a goat and chicken standing there watching him.
Still looks like a rauter tiller went over the whole front lawn

We pronounce the "L" out of respect for the best
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »

Not only can the English speaking world generally understand each other (ok, with difficullty if'n your from the Isle of Mann or Queens Borough), but we can even interbreed. 

Or from Jamaica.

Here is an interesting BBC site with clickable audio clips of speech patterns from various parts of the UK.

Particularly interesting is Scots, which some believe ought to be classified as a separate language from English, not just a dialect.  (Not the same thing as Highland Gaelic or English spoken with a Scottish accent).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/index.shtml

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ve6pg

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »

it is a local thing....i get a kick out of people saying "ruff", for roof...folks in western n.y. seem to add the letter "a" to alot of words..."cair" is the word i hear for car...the grocery store chain "topps", is known as "tapps"...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 12:17:03 AM »

I warshed the car
Wow, Did you see that Zed R 1 Corvette pass by?
Thats a sweet Zed 28 camaro!

When the Navi in my Lexus offers three ways to the Ham fest...  I ask, What route (out) do you want to take?  Not What root do you want to take.

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015