The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:52:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triad M12AL is in the shop for connections check etc  (Read 2190 times)
w1vtp

« on: November 03, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »

Got my Triad M12AL in the shop for checking primary / secondary windings.  First noted is that the primary is split with taps of red, yellow and black.  The secondary is one continuous winding with 6 wires on it.

My friend WB2SKC wants to use an 4 wire ohmmeter to check for resistance to get the secondary taps mapped out.  I'm going to suggest a "plan B" if we still can't figure it out by driving one of the primary windings with AC - probably red / yellow wires since that seems to be the highest resistance.  Trigger a scope of that drive and then use a second probe to check the secondary. Just clip the ground to any wire and then check the other wires with the probe tip.  If the phase goes to 180 degrees than that is toward the bottom of the windings.  The higher the voltage in that phase should be taking me toward the bottom of the taps.  After I find the "bottom,"  I would go the other way to find the highest voltage -- each increase of voltage would be taking me farther from the "bottom" connection.

At the same time, I should be able to figure out the turns ratios.  The current plan is to use this in a 2 x 4D32 modulating my 4D32 RF deck that I got from Bob, W1SET's estate.  Should work.  Comments, suggestions are welcome.  Hey, it would be even better if someone had the connections paper that Triad put out.  I lost mine.

Al
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »

M12AL 125 watt mod sheet was just posted a month ago or so.  Also Steve 'HUZ may have it on the AM Window by now.

Here you go.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=20346.0

RICK  *W3RSW*
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »

M12AL 125 watt mod sheet was just posted a month ago or so.  Also Steve 'HUZ may have it on the AM Window by now.

Here you go.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=20346.0

Gosh!

Thanks A LOT guys.  This forum and the guys / gals are the best

Al
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »

Update:

Well, thanks to Gary and others (the HUZ man, I think) I have a copy of the data.  Armed with this we took the beastie into the lab and excited various hookups and seem to have things figured out re: connections.  One thing of note: some of the coloring on the wires seem to have darkened -- gunge that needs to be cleaned off or aging of the wires -- dunno yet but we had to do some creative reading of the wires to have a match.  Most wires are two colored.  Sometimes the main color is mentioned and the stripe is second.  Other times its the other way around.  Must've been a Friday when that sheet was typed out. Grin

Next step is to play with a "toy"  -- some sort of complicated inductance machine that will measure magnitizing inductance and other such exotic stuff.  I must say that the xfmr seems well built.  The "lams" are thin and the weight bodes well for low frequency response.

I'm relying heavily on Guy W1FRM's input on this as he has already built a modulator of this class.  He's been a big help As you guys have been also.

One more comment:  the power supple / modulator deck is going to be HEAVY!  I hope I don't bust a gasket lifting this stuff Grin

Thanks, Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015