The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:34:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: front-panel repainting  (Read 10962 times)
KK4RF

« on: October 24, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »

Gentlemen,
     My Globe Scout 680-A works pretty well now but the front panel looks pretty bad. Does anyone know of a service that would strip the old paint off and repaint to look like the original?
     Any suggestions appreciated.
                         ---Marty, KK4RF---
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »

C'mon help me out here... the guy who took over for Dee W4PNT (Huh) was on the air on 75 AM last week talking about restoring Johnson stuff - he'd be the "go to" guy I would expect?

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »

Bear,

That is Chuck Hurley but I think he only does EF Johnson gear at this point.

Rodger WQ9E
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »

Try Howard Mills, he has a lot of different screens outside of the Collins equipment that he is known for. Ya never know

304-876-6483

w3hm@frontiernet.net
KK4RF

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »

Gentlemen,
     Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes. 73s,  Marty, KK4RF
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »

Marty,

I would keep an eye out for a parts or non-working unit with a decent front panel.  Having a front panel painted and relabeled via silk screen is typically going to cost much more than you probably paid for a lower cost transmitter unless you want a show or "collector quality" piece.

Radios that have engraved front panels (like many National receivers) are inexpensive and easy to do at home but unless someone has already put together a silk screen for the 680 it is going to be a pretty expensive job. 

I have been looking at some of the clear backed decal and laser printer generated silk screen articles and I plan to try some of that this winter.  I have an RCA AR-77 and a Howard 490 that both need extensive cosmetic help and will be a good test project to see how well these techniques work for me.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Fred k2dx

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:00:58 PM »

Rodger, please keep us informed of your results with the overlay.
KK4RF

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »

Rodger,
     Thanks for the suggestions. I've been coming to the realization that I might just have to get used to the ugly face on my Globe Scout. Oh well, at least the old rig sounds pretty good on the air.
             ---Marty, KK4RF---
kg8lb
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 06:24:53 AM »

Sometimes an "ugly" original is more desireable than an over-restored re-finished panel and box. Some honest patina does no harm. Having seen some of the overdone ultra glossy Johnsons, an original piece with a scratch or two looks pretty darn good. EFJ never put multiple coats of clear over automotive urethane.

There is only one original finish.
WQ9E

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 03:37:26 PM »

And as we say, "real rigs glow in the dark" so keep the lights out, enjoy the glow from the filaments, and in the dark you won't be able to see the front panel very well.   Wink

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »

If you find someone that does the WRL panels please let me know. 

Wb6YEC does the Johnsons.  Look real nice.  A few others. Look in the back of Electric radio magazine. I never took any of my restos this far. I just clean, touch up, and go through the rig. I just finished my Valiant.  Done all at home.

Looks alot better now that I got the correct bolts for chassis.  I used Threaded rods before and it really bugged me.  I dont have a good front panel shot. But I cleaned it all by hand and touched up areads and waxed it.  The knobs got cleaned in dishwasher. All in all.. Not a show piece but a nice old valiant.

same thing on my Glob 500.  I wish I could redo the panels on it one day. Some IDIOT planted a High Voltage sticker on teh front and after removal the paint was thin. You can see where it used to be.  I was looking for someone that could make me a nice big Globe WRL logo that I could slap over that blemish.

Anyone got any pictures of projects they want to share?  I am sure some of you have incredible restorations. I would love to see them.

* Photo_082409_005.jpg (46.72 KB, 640x512 - viewed 631 times.)

* DSCF3374.JPG (202.71 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 617 times.)

* DSCF0012.JPG (373.24 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 667 times.)
KD7KOY
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »

You might try this
http://www.mcgpaper.com/decalpro.html

There is another that you print and rub-on, looks more like silkscreening.
They use it on custom cups, glasses, metal flasks etc.
More steps but looks good.
http://www.pulsarprofx.com/DecalPRO/index.html
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:19:50 AM »

Haven't heard anything from him in quite some time Marty, but Mike Shelton KE4LGX of Total Electronics Co took over the paint and silkscreen business of Lynn N0ALO sometime back. Lynn had to have had over 100 screens for different front panels as well as many of the matching paints for different BA gear. Mike stopped selling paint some time ago IIRC, but was still doing panels last I knew. Wouldn't hurt to drop him a line to see if he is, and whether or not he has the screen for your panel.

Last email I have for him is KE4LGX@yahoo.com

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KK4RF

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »

Todd,
     Thanks for the tip. I will e-mail Mike as you suggest. I also want to thank all who've replied to my query on this topic. Thanks again.  ---Marty---
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »

Tonight while tooling around I found this on the AADE site.  He makes a very good C/L meter if you ever need one.

http://www.aade.com/sexypnls.htm

This is an easy way to do your panel.  Looks good too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015