The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:56:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Tallest Structures in the World ... Blaw-Knox pix  (Read 4857 times)
W1VD
Contributing

« on: October 02, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »

Stumbled onto this list of tallest structures...lot's of radio towers on the list but no K1JJ Cry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_masts

and these pix of a 314 meter Blaw-Knox at Lakihegy Hungary used on 136 and 540 kHz. Interesting diplexer pix on pages 2, 3 and 4.   

http://www.waniewski.de/id414.htm

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »

and these pix of a 314 meter Blaw-Knox at Lakihegy Hungary used on 136 and 540 kHz. Interesting diplexer pix on pages 2, 3 and 4.   

http://www.waniewski.de/id414.htm

Two impressive photos.  The Blaw-Knox, and Mrs. Eva Balla, the very good German speaking engineer. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »

Never knew Blaw Knox were in Europe until now.  That one is taller than the WSM if I'm not mistaken, which may make it the biggest diamond of them all.  Sure wish they had some photo of the base insulator.  The one at WSM is massive.  Two Lapps opposing each other with a pin (more like a big rod) to keep them from slipping so the tower can rotate with the wind torque on the lower insulator.  I'm always amazed at the guy cables they use.  They must be 2 to 3 inches diameter.  If I got the text right, the Blaw Knox is used on 137 KHz (I'd like to see that matching network) and the smaller tower nearby is used on the medium wave band.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:05:43 PM »

Never knew Blaw Knox were in Europe until now.  That one is taller than the WSM if I'm not mistaken, which may make it the biggest diamond of them all.  Sure wish they had some photo of the base insulator

It's on page 3.  http://www.waniewski.de/id416.htm

There are still 4 or 5 surviving Blaw Knoxes in Europe - about the same as the number in the US.  I think maybe the tallest one of them all was in western France near the coast, but was destroyed during WW2.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »

Now that's a nicely done setup for a hot tower!   You can sure see the $$$$ all over the place there.  Thanks for pointing me to the page with the insulator and tuning house Don.

W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »

Rob

The LF and MF signals are diplexed into the Blaw-Knox. A number of LF enthusiats use Lakihegy's LF signal (135.430kHz) as a propagation indicator. Tonight they're easily 30 dB out of the noise as measured in a 1 kHz BW...on the east coast.   

* Lakihegy100403.mp3 (147.42 KB - downloaded 189 times.)

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »

Okay.  I wonder what the small tower is for then?  I wonder if they have any kind of loading on the Blaw Knox.  As is, it is about 45 degrees vertical on 135 KHz.   It would make a pretty good vertical portion of an inverted L  Cheesy

Rob

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »

Here's a Blaw Know look-alike in wood!

* 19370624[1].jpg (130.41 KB, 604x900 - viewed 420 times.)

* 19370624-pic[1].jpg (23.55 KB, 321x600 - viewed 386 times.)

* 19370625[1].jpg (140.25 KB, 606x900 - viewed 398 times.)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »

Somebody could probably make one like that with pressure treated wood that might last 30 years or so but it would probably be less expensive to use pre mfg metal stuff. There was also a large free standing wooden radio tower built in Scranton, PA by  a Roman Catholic Priest but I cannot remember if it was for ham use or commercial to spread the gospel.   

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »

The Blaw-Knox antenna and transmitter plant at Lakihegy, Hungary is most impressive, and beautifully maintained, as evidenced by the photos provided by W1VD.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »

Here's a Blaw Know look-alike in wood!

Wow....   a 100' tower made from wood and only one set of guys.  Interesting it tapers to only 4" at the top.  Those dudes back in the 30's had real brass BA's to erect something like that. I can't imagine myself climbing up there and raising the wooden sections with a gin pole - nope.

Though, having been designed by a bridge engineer, it was probably a solid structure. Notice the many buildings around it... Shocked

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »

I have an article in a 1935 R/9 magazine that describes a 180 ft. wooden Blaw-Knox look alike built by W6AM.  Instead of the usual single set of guys at the middle of the tower, he anchored it to the top of one of his 90' wooden utility poles.

It would be very difficult and expensive to build one to-day.  One of the requirements for the W6AM tower was knot-free wood, and the sections were 20' long.  The article says he personally inspected each piece. Try to find a 20' length of knot-free wood anywhere to-day, even #1 grade.

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015