The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok.. Thats about enough of this.. (DOG turns on Globe king 500.)  (Read 5234 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: October 28, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »

This is now the 5th time I have come in the radio room find Toby the 75 lb Golden retriever laying down with the Globe king 500 ON!

I am unsure if he is doing this on accident or he is turning it on for the heat.  This time, It was running there at idle and he was curled up around it. 

The Transmit switch is right there.. Lucky for him and for my GK500, He just lit the filiments.  I have unplugged it.. WHen I use it, I will plug it in.. Cant chance it anymore. Its not hooked to an antenna all the time..

Clark

* Photo_032609_001.jpg (344.6 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 281 times.)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »

Teach the dog to talk, get him a ticket (which should be easy), then turn him loose with the King.  His conversation skills would probably be more interesting  than many humans on the air.
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »

Ah Ha!  That explains all the barking on 75m!!

Rich
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »

LOL!!!!!

We where just talking about that.. A guys dog was barking into his VOX enabled Icom over the air for 20 minutes LOL..

At least I did not find Toby pawing the D104... 

Clark
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »

Good looking dog, Clark.

There was a severe QRMing problem on CW some years ago. I can't rmember the exact details, but they DFed it to a ham's house and found the cat pawing the CW paddle.  Guess he was imitating his owner.  Not sure why the rig was always on, but that's the story.

One of the funnier times on AM was maybe 15 years ago when there was a large group on 75M doing break-in. The Tron dozed off (lively conversation) and must have laid his face on the TR switch. He then started up a storm of snoring that went on for about 10 minutes. I made a phone call to him and you could hear it ring on the air. He picked it up, sounded confused and hung up. The snoring continued. I called a second time and he unkeyed with a snort... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:56:49 PM »

Maybe he needs some of this.

* pet-sweat.jpg (29.5 KB, 375x433 - viewed 251 times.)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »

LOL!!!!  

We had a local guy here that would fall asleep mid sentance.  Unreal... Just talking along and then nothing.. Just a Carrier.. Then you would hear snoring and he would wake back up... Then say.. Oh man.. I dozed off again.  

About six months later I met him and one night while at his house I realized what the problem was.. He was addicted to pain killers. He had major back surgery and the doctor gave him some kind of pain killer that you suck out of a tube like a lolly pop.  He must have had 4 or 5 in the 2 hours I was there.. As the time went on he got more and more tired and dozed off right in front of me.. I left the house.

Thanks for the comment on Toby.. I have had him since Feb.  Rescued him from death.  Someone left him chained up in the backyard with no food or water for 4 or 5 days.  He has been a real friend and is now happy and healthy.

Clark
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »

Clark,

Looking closely at Toby I see his choppers are nice and white. Do you brush them?

I have an electric toothbrush for which I use my old brushes for Yaz's teeth. He lets me spend about 2 minutes brushing his teeth about every 3 days or so. I also do his gums. I use chicken flavored doggie toothpaste...  Grin

Gum disease, just like in people, can do lots of harm to organs, so I work hard at it. Yaz also gets his inside ears cleaned with ear cleaner and cotton at the same time. What a life.  He's worth it.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »

LOL!!!!  

We had a local guy here that would fall asleep mid sentance.  Unreal... Just talking along and then nothing.. Just a Carrier.. Then you would hear snoring and he would wake back up... Then say.. Oh man.. I dozed off again.  

About six months later I met him and one night while at his house I realized what the problem was.. He was addicted to pain killers. He had major back surgery and the doctor gave him some kind of pain killer that you suck out of a tube like a lolly pop.  He must have had 4 or 5 in the 2 hours I was there.. As the time went on he got more and more tired and dozed off right in front of me.. I left the house.

Clark

morphine on a stick, some people call it. 4 or 5 in 2 hours is way too much.

Some have the narcotic painkiller fentanyl citrate. Others are laced with morphine or hydromorphone.
http://www.opiates.com/actiq/

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015