The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:47:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEAR-Fest VI: Six Days on the Road...  (Read 11927 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:38 AM »

..and I made it home Monday night!

What a 'fest, and what a trip. Not your average jaunt to a hamfest with an overnight or two, but more of a radio vacation of sorts (with associated minimal sleep, of course). Pulled out of the NC driveway Tuesday afternoon Oct 13th bound for RadioHUZ in Williamsburg, VA.  Had a nice dinner and spent the evening with Steve and Carol, then hit the road Wednesday morning with Steve heading north for Long Island Radio WA2PJP. One jump start, many miles, and far too many tolls later we arrived for a tour of Joe's commercial tower site and his home radio room and collection. Another great dinner (biggest steak I've ever seen) and late night playing with the McIntosh stereo system, think we got to bed around 1:30AM Thursday only to wake up early to hit the road in time to catch the LI Ferry at Orient Point to CT.

At this point we split up, Steve headed out to pick up K1JJ while Joe and I drove north to VT for a visit to the Randolph house (no housing market recovery there) to inspect the completed work started in August. Up the road another 15 miles to my folks' place where Joe received a tour of my former tower sites, old radio rooms, and a fine home cooked turkey dinner complete with pie, courtesy Ma & Pa Bigelow. Then it was off for NH, to our motel on Rte 4 near Deerfield. We arrived around 9PM followed by 'HUZ and 'JJ at 1AM or so, having found snow in CT.

Friday morning greeted us with snow flurries as we headed out early for breakfast at the diner before heading over to open the show. The flurries were the worst of the wx though, and were over long before we got to the fairgrounds. Friday was the lesser of the days wx-wise, but the better day for goodies as usual. Most of the day was overcast, temps in the low-mid 40s with a stiff breeze at times. Managed to score a nice old buzzard hand-held mic, box of old tubes, and a few other goodies before heading off to the AM Dinner Friday night. Turnout for the dinner was great, considering the doom-and-gloom outlook of some folks on the air and online about the wx. We had a dozen folks this time.

Saturday was the better of the two days, temps in the high 40s to low 50s and sunny, with only the occasional breeze. It was also the busier, especially at the gate. By midday Saturday the Shriners were ready to pack it in so I headed down to pick up the funds and unused tickets. Before they could turn things over to me, several more vehicles pulled up, so they sold them tickets. Finally the fez gang hit the road, while I stood there and sold tickets for another ten minutes or so. It was certainly clear to me that the 'flop' predicted by some certainly wasn't happening.

The end of the 'fest wasn't the end of the journey, however. From the grounds we headed south to Area 51, home of K1JJ. After grabbing dinner at a little Italian place nearby, we arrived at Tom's place for an evening of entertainment in the form of homebrewed rigs and wall-to-wall DX. Joe bugged out around 10:30 or so looking at a 4-5 hour ride home. Tom fired up the gear and Steve worked station after station until somewhere around 2AM Sunday morning. I hung in there until 1 or so, but the eyelids just got too heavy. One thing was clear, though: a 2 over 2 over 2 stack on 40m makes you whirlwide! The pair of 80m loops really worked well too. It was funny to hear these DX stations referring to Steve and Tom on a first name basis, like neighbors.

By noon Sunday after a great breakfast from 'JJs mom, Steve and I were on the road again. Fearing a blizzard in PA, we were instead treated to sunny blue skies and temps into the low 60s at one point. Not bad! Afterall, we still had one more stop to make at the home of KB3AHE and KB3OMT. We got to Frank and Carol's place around 6:45 after hitting road construction delays on I-81. They treated us to an excellent dinner of 'real BBQ' (which restored my faith after the bad experience I'd had with NC BBQ) along with the usual great stories. We unloaded Frank's delivery (oof) and spent a bit longer relaxing before finally getting back on the road at 10:45 Sunday night, arriving back at HUZRadio just before 2AM Monday. No DX tonight, just sleep.

When we finally woke up Monday morning, Steve's wife Carol had another excellent breakfast waiting for us. We then took a good tour of the HUZtennas, and worked some folks on 40m including Rob W1AEX and Buddly WD8BIL. A final unloading of Steve's vehicle and loading up of mine, and I was on the road for NC by 3PM or so.

Along with the extended trip (and because of it, really), the AM Pony Express was a big part of it. Between the two vehicles we hauled the following:

- HT-20 and HT-18 for W1JHS in ME from K4OZY in NC

- HP Signal Generator for WA1HLR in ME from WB2CAU in NY

- Gonset Comm IV Aviation xcvr and GenRad BB xcvr for WA2PJP in NY from KA1KAQ/4 in VT

- Heathkit Marauder for KA1KAQ/4 in NC from WA2PJP in NY

- HV Plate Xfmr for KB3AHE in MD from WA1HLR in ME

I also had a friend in VT haul two large sections of a 300G BC transmitter back up to VT to my storage as we couldn't possibly fit them in. Combined with the stuff we bought at the 'fest, We were loaded, or at least - the vehicles were.

What a trip. Can't wait for the next one. Just glad it's a few days off.  Wink

* O.P.Ferry.JPG (433.66 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 343 times.)

* NF6_Dinner5.JPG (385.85 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 385 times.)

* Mic1.JPG (390.15 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 326 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »

Many thanks to Steve and you for the "AM pony express" ride for my transfoma! !
Feeding youse guys was the least I could do!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »

I bet the rear springs on the HUZ mobile would have a good story if they could talk.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »

THe Big Black Suburban woulda sneered at that tiny load  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KB1IAW

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »

Hey, Todd, that's a long hike! Glad that you made the trip, it was great to see you and Joe again.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »

Frank, you take the prize for transformer failures. Sounds like it is time to homebrew one.
HUZ take heart, Frank floated the CT with a bridge rather than run a 240 volt line.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:30:41 PM »

What is the actual problem with the CT when using the transformer as a bridge?  Does the CT short to the core?  What if the transformer was floated on Plexi and also enclosed in a plexi case for safety in case it DID short to the frame?   Would that solve the problem or do winding turns generally get shorted that takes it out?

HUZ plans on 240 on the pri and using the transformer in bridge, choke input. There is a CT there.

I've never had a CT short like that and almost always use them in bridge. But maybe I've been lucky to get well insulated CT transformers...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »

The CT insulation has to handle 1/2 the voltage (RMS) now multiply that with 1.41 so at peak you are darn close to 70% on a node that was at ground before. A short to the core could also go to the primary. You have to look closely at the CT to see if there is enough insulation. Steve's transformer was pretty hard to see in that tight package. Once he gets it out he can have a closer look. It might be safer to run a cap input filter and ground the CT. Or you could just go for it and if it blows rewind the thing since it is open frame.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »

Yes, now I see...

A short to the core could easily short to the primary. That sounds like the risk.

I would give it a shot on Steve's transformer anyway, cuz otherwise, he will be way below required voltage.  Even if it blew, the vender seemed like such a nice guy, maybe he's take it back next time we're there...  Grin Grin Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:09:30 AM »

Frank, you take the prize for transformer failures. Sounds like it is time to homebrew one.
HUZ take heart, Frank floated the CT with a bridge rather than run a 240 volt line.

Frank,
         that is the basic long range plan. I have a really nice 150lb ba buster that shorted from the high side to ground. When I get some of the other schtuff cleared off of the bench, I am gonna wind one that will give me what I need with a standard FWCT rectumfryer and a choke inpoot filter!!

The shame of it all is that the original Kenyon cube (that was not rated for fwb) lasted 9 years of hard running before it finally failed!! Go Figger  Huh  Huh

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB1PRV
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

Hi Todd,

I'm a friend who met you at NEAR FEST III. I really enjoyed your company at the AM Dinner this time. Great conversation and excellent food. I just doesn't get any better. I'm happy that your doing well in NC. Hope to hookup with you on the radio and also to see you next spring.

Ken - KB1PRV 
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 05:36:58 PM »

Thanks Ken. It was great seeing you along with the rest of the AMers who turned out for the dinner. Really enjoyed the conversations (did a lot of listening, good schtuff!) and the food was overkill. Ended up eating the rest of mine at the Fairgrounds the next day.

It's always good seeing the old gang again as well as new faces. Saw Al 'VTP shortly after he pulled in and was searching for a spot to set up. Enjoyed a brief chat in the AM corral with Paul 'IAW sans N1PS. Was thinking Dave 'EAD stayed home but finally ran into him on Saturday afternoon. He even promised to get on 40m soon. Got to deliver a lot of interesting equipment around the fairgrounds for folks, which was a lot of fun as well. Stopped for a chat with Wayne Green on one pass, still an interesting guy after al these years.

I bet the rear springs on the HUZ mobile would have a good story if they could talk.

We actually stopped just down the road before Candia so that Steve could put some air in his tires. Between his hunk-o-iron and the chunk we hauled down to Slab along with the Marauder and sig gen in the back (and two large boxes of mics and stands from VT), he was full up!  You're right, Johnny - the Suburban wouldn't have broken a sweat, though the HUZmobile tooled along FB, H-I. Grin

BTW - spoke with George Rancourt yesterday on the phone, he promises to not only reschedule his spy radio forum for spring, but to make it bigger and better. I know a lot of folks were looking forward to it, so don't miss the spring event.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

Todd,

thanks for taking the time to write this report; it was fun reading it.  One wonders if there were any hams at the fest who were not AMers.  It's starting to sound like a mostly AM thing.  But anyway, wow that was a lot of driving.   And through densely populated parts of the country too.  You guys must be around 22 years old  Cheesy no way could I do that now.

<<< - HT-20 and HT-18 for W1JHS in ME from K4OZY in NC>>>

wow someone else got an HT-20.   I know of two guys besides me who have them now.  I know there are more out there but it doesn't seem like many.  I wondered why and did a little research and found out that it listed for around $450 in 1952 when the Viking 1 in kit form (roughly a comparable rig) was listing for $209 from EFJ.   No wonder Halli sold so few.  If you're like me you were glad it had handles on the front panel  Smiley

rob
k5uj

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »

LOL. There were a few people checking out that HT-20. It's a good thing the guy was supposed to pick it up did or there may have been a brawl!

An excellent write up Todd. It's as though I was there.

My biggest regret is that I didn't break out the camera at PJP's place and get some shots of his big tower and all the beautiful radio in his shack. Bonehead move on my part.

I've included some audio of Rob - W1AEX on 40 meters. He was full quieting and lots of modulation!

Todd,

thanks for taking the time to write this report; it was fun reading it.  One wonders if there were any hams at the fest who were not AMers.  It's starting to sound like a mostly AM thing.  But anyway, wow that was a lot of driving.   And through densely populated parts of the country too.  You guys must be around 22 years old  Cheesy no way could I do that now.

<<< - HT-20 and HT-18 for W1JHS in ME from K4OZY in NC>>>

wow someone else got an HT-20.   I know of two guys besides me who have them now.  I know there are more out there but it doesn't seem like many.  I wondered why and did a little research and found out that it listed for around $450 in 1952 when the Viking 1 in kit form (roughly a comparable rig) was listing for $209 from EFJ.   No wonder Halli sold so few.  If you're like me you were glad it had handles on the front panel  Smiley

rob
k5uj

* w1aex19oct091657z7290.mp3 (275.19 KB - downloaded 167 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »

I would go cap input filter and keep looking for bigger iron if the CT is close to the primary or core. Maybe try selecting the lowest primary tap until mag current is in the knee. That should be a good voltage for working out the bugs. Floating the core just invites secondary to primary short that could be very unsafe. Not like a modulation transformer. Imagine sending a couple kv back into the house wiring....
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »

I showed up at the Toddmobile just as he was lugging out the HT-20. As he was asking me if I knew what it was I was reaching for my wallet. Oh so close Roll Eyes

But I had to settle for a common garden variety 32V2 and 75A3 instead a short walk away. Grin

Carl
KM1H

wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »

Hey gang..and hi to you Todd..sure was nice to run into you between the big vendor buildings at Nearfest..from 100ft away as I made my way down the center row I spotted ya right off..may I say sumptin Todd?..you do have a real knack for relating ur travels
at Nearfest or on any other subject for that matter..I was looking forward to yet another recounting of ur exploits and you did not disappoint..great job!!..by the by that mention to you that after a decade of hanging my hat on 10mtr AM..I am indeed going to erect the wire for 75 and 40 since ol' Sol just won't co-operate anymore..give me a few weeks and shazamm!  73 Todd  de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »

Here's mine; as you can see it needs some work before I pair it up with my 75A3 here Carl (how's that for a coincidence), but something tells me ur 32V will match up with the A3 a lot better than the HT20 would Cheesy  I expect you'll be playing ur 32V2 like a violin in a few months.

I listened to the W1AEX clip; I don't think he could have possibly sounded better and been on the radio.

RobK5UJ

* ht-20.jpg (409.46 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 334 times.)

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:27 AM »

I gotta get my HT-20 on the air.  It's working FB and almost mint, just needs to be connected to a VFO and T/R relay with the SX-88  A good project to tackle when I'm home this Dec.

To whoever the new owner of that HT-20 might be - a couple of issues with that xmitter:

1)  The plate tuning shaft on mine was fiber and broke when I got a bit enthusiastic cranking the knob.  Dunno if that's factory or not, but be careful when yoinking on the tuning knob because if you bust the shaft:

2)  ...you will truly HATE disassembling the RF shielding - to those who've taken apart a KW matchbox, there's about 10X the number of screws  Grin

3)  I don't think mine was used much, if at all.  The parasitic suppressor off the plate of the 4D32 was fried.  I replaced the resistor inside, and tuned it up on 10 into a dummy load, only to be greeted with copious amounts of smoke blowing out the top (parasitic suppresor fried again).  I copied the Collins 32V design (wound a different coil) and it worked FB.

4)  It doesn't lend itself well to PTT operation.  The xmit switch is, as I recall, a 3-pole toggle switch that switches the primaries of the power xformers.  One could install a relay, but I didn't in mine due to its pristine condition.

And Steve's little PT cruiser held an amazing amount of stuff the time we took it to NEARFest, including a passel of hnyellowjackets  Grin  Got a lot better gas mileage than the Suburban also.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »

JN, Tnx for all the HT20 information.  I need to start compiling everything I'm getting and finding on it.  I am the second owner of mine, serial no. 303.  The first owner, the ham who sold it to me, did a TR mod years ago in which he replaced the front panel switch with a 3 prong jack that mates to a cable that goes over to a relay in a 275 w. matchbox.  I have not yet had a chance to open everything up and see what's going on so I have not been able to decide whether or not to leave it all as-is.   He sold me the whole thing as a package, the matchbox, 122 VFO, rig, and a Shure 520 mic and cabling.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »

It's near mil-spec.  About 5 caps in the whole thing that need replacing - a few coupling caps, bias filters, that sort of thing.  Rest are oil or good quality ceramic or silver mica.  Truly a Fine Business HiHi OM rig indeed.  I really need to get mine on the air. 

It'd be easier with a slice of Ma Bigelow's berry pieee.....Grin

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »

Okay, that's good to know.  Say, I apologize for the digression but I've found someone who knows about this rig and I have a few points about it I've been wondering about...please bear with me Cool ... I've heard the mod. trans. is unobtainium these days so if it gets smoked ur s.o.l. so with that in mind I've been wondering how much head room I have for going over 100% positive and compression.  I was thinking the 807s are a pretty stout pair for 100 w., but the other mod. components like the tranny I don't know about.   The previous owner said the fan can make some noise (I don't think the other 4D32 rigs have fans so the fan itself is an interesting addition) but I am thinking there are surely ways quieting the fan.  Good to know about the caps--sounds like a lot of my work will be cosmetic and cleaning and such  and the standard work such as putting in a 3 wire power cord, testing the tubes, reseating them and cleaning contacts; and the caps.  The bezel on mine is pretty badly warped and cracked--I'm thinking about removing it and the TVI mesh over the meters and running it plain while I have it.  Maybe silk screen the front panel.

Rob K5UJ

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »

It's near mil-spec.

It sure looks it. Maybe if I ever get one it will mate with the SX-73/R-274 that has been lonely.

Carl
KM1H
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »

And then after a period of gestation you will have some Hallicrafter puppies.    Grin

Maybe if I ever get one it will mate with the SX-73/R-274 that has been lonely.

Carl
KM1H

w1jhs

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »

Just a quick note to say tnx to John k4ozy for the ht18 and ht20 and to Todd for transportation from NC to Nearfest. Both rigs are safely in my basement, boy is that ht20 heavy!!!

Now to do the ht20 justice and get it on the air with the sx73 which was also from k4ozy.

73  Jack
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015