The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:19:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Pirate Radio' the movie  (Read 21085 times)
W1UJR
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 09:04:18 AM »

A book by a pirate we all know...who went on to found WBCQ.
Read it some years ago, back when WBCQ was starting out, a good read.

Of course now, the internet has really given everyone "access to the airwaves",
can't see much need for "pirate radio" using RF unless you're fresh out of broadband.  Wink

http://www.amazon.com/Access-Airwaves-Fight-Free-Radio/dp/1559501634

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »

can't see much need for "pirate radio" using RF unless you're fresh out of broadband. 

Something I could never see the point of was the pirates who played music on slopbucket with stock SSB ham transceivers.  There used to be a bunch of those just below 40m. Even if you could manage to tune them in correctly, their audio was terrible, worse than an early 1900's Edison cylinder or a tin-can telephone.

Unless you could get a strapping AM signal on the air with decent audio quality, the whole thing would have been a waste of time.  I recall hearing that some FCC official called the signal quality of Radio Clandestine "professional".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »

AHHH Yes Don,
I was treading in a dangerous way on 6955 for a while with REAL A.M. audio from a  modified T368 and there was quite a competition for listeners between me and another pirate, Radio Metallica, Ron Boot(?)
Monitoring times reported a lot of comments about KRAP and the good sound. Got into S. Africa one strange December night. A lot of folks sent tapes and it was pretty good for the distance covered. The S African reception was really beat to death. YOUTUBE wasn't so popular back in the mid 90's.
Allan was definitely a radio warrior and the movie seems like it leaves a lot to be desired. Was Allan consulted for any of the movie's production?
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »

It would amaze me if the FCC even bothers with pirates any more unless there is a complaint. Even so, one would have to keep a regular or announced schedule to get busted these days it seems.

Maybe this activity was popular from the 60's to the 90's. I did not hear one pirate on halloween, that should say something.

For the movie I suppose we would have to wait for the DVD with the "dirtectors cut" and "deleted scenes".

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »

The original version has been available on DVD since August 18, 2009:
http://www.amazon.com/Boat-That-Rocked-Blu-ray/dp/B002D0L0XG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258336437&sr=8-6

And, there's also this feature length documentary called Pirate Radio USA that's been out on DVD since December 11,2008:
http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Radio-USA-Jeff-Pearson/dp/B001NMT8F2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258336437&sr=8-2

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
John K5PRO

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »

Saw the movie this afternoon in Santa Fe. It was predominantly the sex and rockNroll story of the DJs themselves, as fictionalized by some interesting and funny characters. Some good old music, Hendrix, Who, Stones, Moody Blues, etc. Also had an ancient Gates console, a Spotmaster cart machine, and few other relics. They never showed the transmitter side, or any engineering guys. When the ship was sinking, the transmitter amazingly stayed on the air until the studio was nearly completely underwater. Nice stunt. Our local audience gave applause at the end of the film, as the DJs managed to keep it on the air despite the prime Minister's effort to have "Radio Rock" shut down. This indicated the age of the audience for this film today, lot of early boomers and ex-hippies.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »

When I was 10 years old,  I rode my bike down to a TV repair shop and purchased a Sig generator for $2.  Took it home, Wired in an input lead from my Stereo, ran that to an OLD CB antenna on the fence. It transmitted around the block. I would play tapes and ride around on my bike with my Sharp portable stereo playing.. Does that count?  LOL   

Clark
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 11:58:05 PM »

Yes it does!

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 12:10:15 AM »

LOL... I guess I am a pirate.. Arrrggg.. Swab the deck! Tie the Skurvy dog to the yard arm!   Arrrgg! Shiver me timbers!

I am going to try to catch this movie!

C
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »

A book by a pirate we all know...who went on to found WBCQ.
Read it some years ago, back when WBCQ was starting out, a good read.

can't see much need for "pirate radio" using RF unless you're fresh out of broadband.  Wink

http://www.amazon.com/Access-Airwaves-Fight-Free-Radio/dp/1559501634

This discussion led me to buy a copy, which just showed up at my door. From what I've read so far it's worth a read. Interesting guy!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »

Scroll down and click on the "pirate radio" clip to hear an interview with one of the real pirate DJs, Johnnie Walker. He was one of the voices that filled the airwaves from ships off the English coast during a time when the BBC offered very little pop music. Walker worked for Radio Caroline.

http://www.hereandnow.org/2009/11/rundown-1113/#6

Here is a web site that sells CD's of recordings of 1960's pirate stations

http://www.pirateradiosales.co.uk./

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »

can't see much need for "pirate radio" using RF unless you're fresh out of broadband. 

Something I could never see the point of was the pirates who played music on slopbucket with stock SSB ham transceivers.  There used to be a bunch of those just below 40m. Even if you could manage to tune them in correctly, their audio was terrible, worse than an early 1900's Edison cylinder or a tin-can telephone.

Unless you could get a strapping AM signal on the air with decent audio quality, the whole thing would have been a waste of time.  I recall hearing that some FCC official called the signal quality of Radio Clandestine "professional".

The reason I have heard for using slopbucket is that due to the lack of a carrier, the FCC's DF systems cannot lock onto te SSB signal and DF it, but if one were to use AM, the DF system can lock onto the carrier and they could DF the pirate. It's a way of not getting caught, as I understand.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »

That would be false.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 10:07:52 PM »

http://www.frn.net/special/prsg/xmitters.html

Here's where Ifound that. It sounds like a bunch of BS, especlly when now that I thinkof it, the reciever there would add a carrier in place and  the signal would still peak in the direction of the transmitter.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 10:52:39 PM »

I saw the movie last Saturday....Gee, good movie but where the hell were the engineers ? Ya think they would have goofed on them in the plot but no ! They didnt even show the transmitters ! BOO HISS !

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 09:16:09 AM »

Saw it last night on Comcast pay per view. Fun movie as a reminder of the times and music. As others have said BA shots were few but enjoyed it. No heavy message, no Oscar perfromances, good music and just fun
Carl

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 01:39:12 AM »

Maybe I'll try to rent or buy the original version.

Neither one ever showed at any of the local cinemas.  No fiery explosions or cars flying through the air to thrill the the local yokels, I suppose.

This is supposed to be The Land of the Free, we're opposed to censorship, etc.  Yet, inevitably, whenever a foreign-made film comes to the US, they delete scenes before they release the US version.

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »

Don, you're BACK  Grin  hope everything okay.  I have not even had any gear fired up in a few weeks.  Too hot; too much stuff to do around the house.   Hope the doghouse out at the tower is going okay.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WA3VJB
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »

It would amaze me if the FCC even bothers with pirates any more unless there is a complaint. Even so, one would have to keep a regular or announced schedule to get busted these days it seems.

They're more often found on low power FM, rather than shortwave. I suppose that's where they expect the best "listenership" for whatever message it is they're trying to get across. It's really easy to buy low powered FM transmitters, transmit into a ham 2m antenna or whatever, and drive them with a cheap audio mixer.

A few years ago I found a guy who could be a technical match for the TimTron, who had set up and was running a clandestine AM station that I heard on the way into work.  I thought it was interesting he picked the less-populated "expanded" part of the Standard Broadcast band to set up shop.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/12/22/pirate.radio/index.html

And when compared to using "radio" at whatever frequency, I also wonder whether the "blog" and its variations have taken the place of radio signals for broadcasting a message.  The internet, and cheap access to it, was not around when bootleg / pirate radio stations were at their peak.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »

Don, you're BACK  Grin  hope everything okay.  I have not even had any gear fired up in a few weeks.  Too hot; too much stuff to do around the house.   Hope the doghouse out at the tower is going okay.

Past 8 days on Cape Cod.  75-80° F by day, 50's-60's by night.  Microscopic humidity, at least compared to here. Loads of sand, sun, seafood and local microbrew. Big family get-together, so plenty of party time.

WX reports talked of high 90's down this way, including a few triple-digits.

Only negative was that damned Cape Cod Canal fog horn beeping at the crack of dawn even when it's crystal clear and no fog in sight.

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »

They're more often found on low power FM, rather than shortwave.

And when compared to using "radio" at whatever frequency, I also wonder whether the "blog" and its variations have taken the place of radio signals for broadcasting a message.  The internet, and cheap access to it, was not around when bootleg / pirate radio stations were at their peak.

I suspect the new breed of pirate was in diapers when medium wave and shortwave AM was king so it is off their radar.  They want to do the radio they know and their pals listen to.  Not complaining make no mistake.  I want them up there on VHF where they have limited harmless range.  Also, you can set up a VHF FM station in a day.   All the gear you need is (or was) on eBay.   100 w. class C amp, and software defined exciter.  I imagine they can fill the hard drive with days of music and away they go.  Putting up the antenna and feedline is about like putting up a TV antenna.

I"m not sure the internet gives pirates the same degree of satisfaction.    Where's the excitement in doing something legal?  I think these guys (I bet they are all males) get a charge off of doing something against the law.  You can't call yourself a pirate if you are just putting out a stream on the internet.

Anyway, so much for my attempted forray into the mind of the pirate woo woo  Shocked  I'm just glad  I have never wanted to get into that myself.

So, Cape Cod eh?  Pretty nice Don--welcome back to the hot zone hi hi.   I hope that by now, the heat will break in a few weeks.  I'm begining to feel like fall operating is not too far off.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »

I'd forgotten about this, but here is archived the "Voice of Revolutionary Vinco" website a few years ago, and it is gone now.

It was put up by the daughter of the former Pirate.. She had the tapes and made MP3's of them. It's all disappeared in a cloud of smoke apparently except my copy and I can't find it anywhere else, or find the daughter/webmistress much less anything more about the pirate.

It is a pity that unusual things like this fade away. It's really a good candidate for the prelinger internet archives.

So, come on, Let's Learn Vinconian!  http://bunkerofdoom.com/vorv/

vreej nite!

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »

Talk Like A Pirate Day  19 September  2010

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

KLC

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015