The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:59:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncle Sam  (Read 6618 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« on: October 17, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »

Washed and waxed the little Caddy and headed south with a couple co-workers to Sounio (Poseidon's Temple) on the southern tip of Attica, about an hour from Athens.  Below is proof that I do indeed treasure the thoughtful going-away present given by a fellow AMer:

Of course it rained and all my labor on the car was for naught.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »

Poseidon would indeed approve!!  Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »

I wonder how that went over with the locals.

How you say, in Greek,

"Ugly American Tourist."

Nice hat.

Hey -- Ken says Hi, I was talking with him after he changed email addresses and he passed regards along.

Hope to hear him on 160 this winter.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »

Yeah he's got the Gates up on 75, but he needs a better antenna.

Thankfully due to the semi-crummy WX the place was almost deserted otherwise it probably would have prompted the usual protests, strikes, and riots that are commonplace here.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 05:37:44 PM »

Look'n good, John...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 07:32:33 PM »

Hi John,
Huz and Tom Vu missed your HD ride. Those low profile tires were begging for mercey on the PT. We missed ya.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »

hmmm that has to mean you got all ur radio stuff too including lin-yar??
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:45:56 AM »

Nope.  My stuff is still in Piraeus awaiting resolution of a dockworker's strike.  These guys are paid an average of $150,000 a year, can take unscheduled "rests" when they get "tired", and then work overtime.  The port of Piraeus has seen a 75% reduction in container traffic since 2007 due in part to it its extremely poor reputation as being an expensive bottleneck, in the shipping world.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSL949301620091009

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 04:05:55 AM »

well, damn.  Sad

I hope you get yer muddy-water slapper soon. Your presence on the scene over here is missed.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »

John said:
Thankfully due to the semi-crummy WX the place was almost deserted otherwise it probably would have prompted the usual protests, strikes, and riots that are commonplace here.

Hey that's not so bad. When we were there, the local faction of Red's Brigade paraded down by fleet landing in Piraeus. Also whilst walking down the street, we were approached by some fellow asking if we wanted to buy any hashish. Telling him "No!", we walked around the corner to find the cops watching him. Later I found out there is no such thing as 'entrapment' in Greece. Also, we got such a heavy dose of 'Midnight Run', that the liberty lines to go ashore were very thin.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »

Well the strike is over and hopefully I'll get my stuff tomorrow.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »

Great shot Johnny. We most certainly missed you at the fest. Todd, Joe, Tom and I had a blast and we drank a few beers in your honor!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »

Washed and waxed the little Caddy and headed south with a couple co-workers to Sounio (Poseidon's Temple) on the southern tip of Attica, about an hour from Athens.  

AT-TI-CA!  AT-TI-CA!

Good shot, Johnny!   The Greeks love U.S!

We're all loaded for bear on 40M and ready when you get the new system running. There's a few more AMer/DXers coming on board, so you will have a good audience, OM.

Hope to hear ya soon.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:53 AM »

Yessir! Now all we need is James Brown singing 'Living in America' ala Rocky 4.  Grin Grin

As Steve said, we sorely missed your twisted sense of humor at NEAR-Fest this time, as well as the ride there and back. We did honor you with a toast at the AM Dinner, so if you woke up out of a dead sleep screaming, that might be why. It was uneventful this time, nothing for you to spit your food out for.

Looks like you're having a good visit there. Now get on the air, dammit! B-R-R-R!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »

I almost choked to death last spring laughing so hard.  Missed you guys lots.

Got my stuff so I gotta get to work getting an antenner up  Also I can apply for my license now that I have the S/N of the FT-1000MP (the SV telecom authority requires serial numbers of equipment for foreign licensees).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015