The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:20:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DRIVE IN MOVIES  (Read 21831 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »

And listen to about 1000 watts of audio.

Some of those theaters boast 10000-15000 watts.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »

Terry said:
Speaking of Danville area drive ins. There was a guy by the name of David Bell who lived in Danville who was a part owner of that one. He was also a ham an somewhat a mentor to me. Did you ever hear of him Mike? He must be an Sk for decades by now.

Yep, the old Point Drive In. Does pretty brisk business in the summer. I never heard of him but I'll check one of those call-sign data bases for the area.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K9PNP

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »

quote]When I was in the army we had a lot of mobile radios that used 1.5 volt tubes and 2.5 volt tubes. When someone would forget to turn off the radios before starting the jeep, the kickback from the starter took out about 1/2 dozen tubes. Did that happen in those old car radios? [/quote]

Fortunately, the car radios were off line during the start cycle in most cars.  Apparently  the 6 V octal tubes were also a little heartier than those used in the "mil specs" radios of the day.  I've had that happen to me, too, with the military radios.  It still happened at least up thru the RT-524 [VRC-12 series] but there it took out the power supply module and, if you were really unlucky, the 6 sedly 4th ethelon maintenance].power transistors that are mounted on the chassis directly [which was supposedly 4th echelon maintenance].  The "protection circuits" designed to prevent this never were installed for some reason.  Of course they were not part of the installation kit, either.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 11:51:20 PM »

Ever since the wholesale transition from carbon arc lighting for film projection, to high pressure xenon projection lamps, the public has been largely deprived of the brilliant saturated color many of the film directors and their studios shot during the course of making a film.

This is due to the very high replacement cost of these xenon lamps, and their fairly short operating lifetime. The movie theater chains, in an effort to reduce the maintenance costs of the projection equipment, actually reduce the voltage applied to the lamp by typically about 25%, thereby extending it's operating lifetime. At the same time, the image reproduction quality suffers due to the reduction in luminosity.

I recall a group created several years ago by a number of well-known film directors to try to force the big corporate theatre chains (National Amusements, et al) to run the normal (unreduced) luminosity of the projection lamp, so as to show the film the way the director wanted; i.e., the correct and dramatic rendition and portrayal of the color. I don't think this went too far, as the theatre chains did not quite see it the same way as the directors did. My experience is that some of the smaller, non-corporate theatre chains that value art over profit are willing to project films in their houses at full luminosity. There is a local (and quite small) theatre in Huntington, NY that Janet and I frequent regularly to see films projected in full brilliance and with absolutely superb sound reproduction.

I don't believe any of the studios are shooting film with optical or magnetic soundtracks anymore; I think all films intended for mainstream theatre projection now have the soundtrack on a separate CD that is provided with the film itself. The CD is electronically synchronized with the film. The original talkie format released in 1927 (Al Jolson's "The Jazz Singer"), known as the Western Electric/Warner Brothers Vitaphone System, employed a 30" diameter phonograph record  mechanically coupled to and driven from the film projector so as to maintain correct sound synchronization. Optical sound-on-film recording and reproduction technology was developed by both RCA (their Photophone Sound System) and Western Electric (the Mirrophonic Sound System) in the very early 1930s, and that spelled the demise of the Vitaphone system, although a number of low-budget movie studios and theatres contrinued using the Vitaphone format through the early 1940s. It was cinema sound that was the public's first real introduction to high-fidelity sound reproduction in the early 1930s.

Talkies in the 1920s and early 1930s were the epitome of high technology, and some of the most talented and famous engineers associated with the development of modern audio recording and reproduction, such as Dr. Harry Olson of RCA, were closely involved with their development.

It was highly prescient that the "Jazz Singer" closed with Jolson uttering the famous words, "you ain't seen nothin' yet!".

Perhaps one of the greatest all-time misjudgements of the public by a businessman was made in 1926, when Louis B. Mayer of Metro-Goldwyn Mayer stated his opinion as to the future of talking films vs. the then popular silent films, when he said, "nobody wants to hear actors talk!"

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 11:07:04 AM »

Bruce I had no idea that these new-age crap theaters were reducing voltage on the bulb to extend life and we have to look at degraded pictures.

Bill KC2IFR and some others here have had the experience to present to the public a movie in all of its glory and brilliance. I'm glad that there is a movie theater around that permits you to see what the director invisioned.

What I see in these multi-suck theaters is a really terrible visual experience. Dark pics and out of focus. Loud multi-channel sound WOW......that's it!!!
We're still going for the IMAX 3D. That might be the only way to see the ultimate of everything!!!!

I see better pics at home on the Blue-Ray and HDMI plug on my Sony proj TV 57"

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KC2IFR
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 06:14:59 PM »

Bruce,
Nice post.......most accurate. Not sure about running xenon lamps at reduced voltage. I had a LOT of experience with the early xenons and found that reducing the arc voltage (thus reducing the current) would cause an unstable arc and if it didn't extinguish, it would wonder around the face of the anode causing the "sweet spot" on the screen to wonder also. No matter what folks think about the life of a xenon lamp.........its still a LOT cheaper that using consumable electrodes.........ie: carbon rods. If the xenon lamp is installed properly, cooled properly (very important), and operated at the correct voltage, it will last many hours. And as for cooling........the lamp exhaust fan should be left on for a while AFTER the arc is extinguished and the power is shut off.
Where most early failures occur is in the seal between the electrodes and the quartz envelope. If u have ever heard one if these burst, u know what Im talking about!

Bill

W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »

Hi Bill,

I had no idea that you were involved as a theatre projectionist!

I have always been fascinated by the whole cinema process, from the shooting of the film and recording of the sound, to the playback in the theatre. Most folks have literally no idea as to the complexity of this process, particularly in the days of optical sound-on-film recording and reproduction. A wonderful reference as to this entire process is the "Audio Cyclopedia" by Howard Tremaine. BTW, in my opinion, any real enthusiast and student of audio should have this book.

In my case, this interest goes back to 8th grade, when a classmate of mine informed me that his dad was a projectionist at the local movie palace in Northport, NY, where I grew up. He and his father invited me down to the theatre one night, and I vividly recall the graciousness his father displayed, showing me in detail the Simplex projectors, the brilliance of the carbon arc in the lamphouse, when to start the other projector running on cue, as the previous reel of film was completed; you get the picture. Later, he took me backstage, where I saw for the first time the enormous Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theatre loudspeakers behind the screen. There were three of them; left, center, and right. These were not the smaller A-7 Voice of the Theatres (of which I have a pair) that most of us are familiar with, but the huge A-4 system that stood probably 12 feet in height and 10 feet in width, including the multicellular horns and compression drivers for high frequency projection and dispersion control.

So how does the sound (especially the high frequencies) from the loudspeakers pass through the theatre screen relatively unattenuated? The screen is actually a porous material, and this porosity also provides the benefit of the screen not moving due to air currents from the air conditioning or heating system, etc.

My friend's dad also told me that the projectionist's union was one of the most difficult unions to enter, at least at that time, which was around 1967. It was pretty much a father-to-son job as I recall.

This being the case, my friend (who I still keep in touch with to this day) did enter the projectionists union after he graduated from college, and ran films on a part-time basis to supplement his income for years. I used to visit him in the local multiplex, where he would be solely responsible for running the projection equipment in 10 theatres within the multiplex simultaneously! With the modern equipment, such as the Castle table, etc., this now became possible.

A few years ago, he quit the business. His son had zero interest in entering the projectionist field and became an electrical engineer instead. Probably a smart move.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
KC2IFR
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 08:56:40 AM »

Bruce,
I started out as a projectionist in a bar at Killington Vt. Long story! I wound up as the head projectionist for a chain of theaters in Rutland Vt. and I had a small business repairing projection and sound equipment in mom and pop theaters in upstate NY and new England. I worked on mostly old equipment, from Western Electric sound equipment (yup......the old stuff) to Simplex, Century, and Ballantyne projectors. More on that stuff later.
BTW.......check out this site.........this is the future. There is one cinema in Albany using this system.
http://www.bigscreen.com/about/help.php?id=36

Bill
KC2IFR
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »

More stuff!
Someone on this thread mentioned the power supply for the exciter lamp that supplies  the light for the sound heads. The only supplies I have ever seen were ether DC or AC. The AC supplies were used for drive ins because the car speakers had no bass response therefor the AC hum was not a problem. Indoor theaters used a very stiff DC voltage to power the exciter lamp. Before the advent of optical stereo, the frequency response of the average theater sound system only went out to maybe 8KC if u were lucky. I used a 7KC loop to adjust the focus of the exciter lamp on the film soundtrack.
When they came out with "Cinema Scope".......they also introduced stereo that used magnetic tracks on either side of the 35 MM film. This required the installation of mag sound heads that were mounted just below the feed reel  on the top of the projector in a unit called the "pent house".
As for the many different amplifiers used in theaters and drive ins.........there were many and most were built like tanks. Power levels were from about 15 watts for the old Western Electric amps to 500 watts or more for large drive ins.
The drive ins used a 70 volt distribution system  for the car speakers.

Bill       
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »

I understand the motion picture releases these days are color timed (balanced) for xenon illumination.  Yeh, carbon was neat stuff, but xenon enabled less attention to the projection process saving exhibitors lots of bucks.  With xenon, films could be "plattered" alowing them to be run on a single machine eliminating change-overs. Thus the popcorn-jocks could run the films and quality projection went into the toilet.

Oh well.  Anyway, I have a 450 W Christie xenon lamp on my home 35mm system and it's not at all that bad.   Carbon, in a home environment, would require ventilation to the great outdoors.  A small xenon doesn't produce much ozone, and is safe to exhaust indoors...and helps warm things up on cold winter nights while the xyl abd I are enjoying flicks on the big screen.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »

One left over here, The Sunset Drive-in on US19 north.
Grafton D.I. just shut down a couple of years ago.   So the county had 5 , now 1.

In other news,
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 03:06:01 PM » Quote 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Rob K2CU on October 20, 2009, 02:57:18 PM
Even in 1970 a car radio was optional, and to many, a frivolous and dangerous driving distraction.

What does this mean? 

Jeeze, my OM used to complain about heaters in cars being a luxury.   The paint was worn out on the drivers side too where he laid his arm in the summer with the window down all the time.   Everybody in the sales biz was deaf in the left ear.  Remember those wire back seat thingies that you used to sit on for air circulation in the summer?   

Cup holders? h... you were lucky to have an ash tray.  Coffee, cig, standing up kid (or girl), steering wheel, shift knob, sales hand-outs and pen all quite handy for your typical jaded, cool and dextrous driver.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KC2IFR
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 06:39:05 AM »

Jeff,
No doubt carbon is a thing of the past. Xenon is far superior to carbon for all the reasons u listed and more.
35 MM at your house??
What do u use for the projector(s) and where do u get the prints?

Bill
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 08:04:35 AM »

Bill, yes have 35mm at home.  I use a Brenkert BX-40 on a Simplex SH-1000 soundhead with stereo solar cell pick up.  Trailers are easy to find, features somewhat of a different story.  Here's a couple of sites for you:

http://www.35mmforum.com/

http://www.film-tech.com/

(Copper Country)
KC2IFR
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »

OK Jeff,
That Brenkert BX-40 is a fine machine. Brenkert equipment was expensive for its time and was built like a tank. I think Brenkert went under because of its price.....not its quality.
Thanks for the links.....Ill check 'em out.

Bill
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:27 AM »

I was trying to "quote" Bill on the exciter lamps but it's a long post and the usual jumping up and down happens. I guess for AMFONE I'll have to run FireFox.

I thought I interpreted what I saw in a Bell & Howell 16mm projector as an oscillator circuit to drive the bulb. It would be a much easier task to lite the bulb with a high freq A.C. signal than trying to lite up with a pure D.C. voltage. The built-in amp in that projector would roar when the protective cover was removed from the exciter lamp housing. That was during my military days in sunny South Viet Nam. I ran the projector in the "club" and picked up the movies from some military depot in town. We even had a cinema-scope lens for that puppy. We would put up extra sheets for those movies.....WOW!!
But you are on track Bill. I did a search and found the requirements for a Century sound head and they lit the bulb with 9Volts @ 4A.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »

Very interesting thread!  I've been  a 16mm collector for years, and have  at least 4 16MM projectors and an Elmo TRV16G telecine machine.    As well, I took cinematography in college, and understand film-making well.

You just can't beat a projected film. There is a difference in quality, atmosphere and perception that can't be described!

Any film collectors would well be advise to check out http://16mmfilmtalk.com/ . It's a film collector's forum.   eBay is  a good source for 16MM prints.  Or, I could provide non-eBay sources.  A lot of those sources also  sell 35MM prints.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KC2IFR
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »

Jeff......
The film-tech site is GREAT.
Thanks for the info........

Bill
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »

OK Bill, go ahead and sign up on the Film-Tech website.  They'll be glad to have you and then you will be able to post questions, etc.  

Brenkert designed the BX40/80 series starting just before WW-2.  The BX-80 had counter-rotating double disolving rear shutters and the BX-40 had a single rear shutter.  They came out with the BX-60 shortly after the war and it was a little more light weight with the main casting in aluminum, but it was still a rock solid machine.  Brenkert Light Projection Company was in Detroit. RCA bought out Brenkert in the early 50's to compliment their (RCA photophone) soundhead business.   But RCA didn't put much investment into the motion picture business causing it to go out in the mid-50's.

Of note, "Gone With the Wind" (or as the film buffs say: GWTW) premiered in Atlanta on Brenkert projectors.  Brenkert also made an excellent motion picture projection arc lamp, there are examples of both their projectors and lamps still in use in theaters today.

(Copper Country)
KC2IFR
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 04:56:25 PM »

Jeff,
I stand corrected........the company I was thinking about was Motiograph.......great stuff.
I saw more Brenkert lamp houses than I saw projectors......
Some times getting old sucks!
We have to talk more about the "old" stuff........
Bill
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »

Bill, yes have 35mm at home.  I use a Brenkert BX-40 on a Simplex SH-1000 soundhead with stereo solar cell pick up.  Trailers are easy to find, features somewhat of a different story.  Here's a couple of sites for you:

http://www.35mmforum.com/

http://www.film-tech.com/

Hi Jeff,

That is incredible; having a operational 35 MM cinema projection system in a home environment! I have read about amateur enthusiasts and collectors of this film format, but the thought of the sheer size of the equipment (and the need for a large projection screen) in a residence is impressive to me.

What do you use for loudspeakers and amplification in this system?

In retrospect, it's really no different from those of us who run converted broadcast transmitters in their amateur stations, etc.

Bruce

Jeff W9GY

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »

Bruce, its a pretty modest set up here in the shack.  The screen is approx 4 X 8 feet and the projection throw is about 15 feet.  So I use some short focal length lenses.  Nothing fancy for audio, just a small preamplifier off the solar cell followed by my vintage McIntosh MC-40 amplifiers and a pair of old Marantz tower speakers. 

Like any of this stuff "it's the journey, not the destination" if you know what I mean.  But it's nice to operate the machinery and see the large images.  Your not gonna find first run stuff to project, but trailers and odd reels are fun to look at.

BTW I have a Gates BC TX (BC-1G) in the corner.  HI!

(Copper Country)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015