The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:17:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA3FLE SK  (Read 7967 times)
k3zrf

« on: October 17, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »

Just received word myself today.

Roger Stevens aka wa3fle aka "the fleeski" passed away June 3rd, 2009.

Roger had received one of the first double lung transplants in 1997 having been diagnosed with IPF.

He was very active on 75 meter AM in the the late 60's and early 70's.

He was one one hell of a horn player.

We had a lot of fun.

For his obit: http://www.tributes.com/show/Roger-Stevens-86096083

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 04:13:19 PM »

His website had not been updated for some time and some of the discussions showed his numbers were headed downhill. You could see this coming.

At least he got to see the political situation change to what would certainly be more to his liking before he departed.

I never met Roger but it is obvious that he was very courageous and also was a source of information and comfort to others with similar health problems. 
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear this;  I had been wondering about Roger lately.  

I first met Roger through my father who worked with him for a while on a technical writing job.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »

Wow, Roger and I go back to novice days. Bummer
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »

Sorry to hear this news. I enjoyed talking with Roger back in the 70's. He certainly knew his way around the insides of just about any kind of audio amplifier. As VW said, his effort to inform others about IPF was admirable.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 07:48:19 PM »

Roger was among the first guys I talked with regularly on "The Big 85" in the mid-1970s when I got an HF station up and running in Maryland.

I have a couple of snapshots taken of him, Moe, WA3MKS, Kevin WB4AIO and myself at the York (Penna.) Hamfest in 1975 or 1976.  I remember thinking I was meeting and hanging out with rock stars.

I immediately got the impression Roger was a helluva nice guy at the outset. And in later years, having survived his health crisis, his compassion and empathy served him well and undoubtedly provided inspiration for others.

W2JTD

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:36 AM »

Rest in peace, Roger.
He suffered unbelievably and stayed positive about it.
We are all better off for having known him.

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 02:08:42 PM »

Thanks Dave for letting us all know of Rogers passing.  The last email I got from him was earlier in the year.  It sounded like he had just dealt with yet some more  complications.  Based on the severity of his illness, I believe he beat all expectations on how long he survived. 

I first heard Roger on the air in the mid to early 60's.  I vividly remember his modified Ranger along with his Astatic JT-30 microphone.  That combination sounded so good that I bought a JT-30 for my DX-60 but guess what, it did not come close to Rogers sound for obvious reasons!  I remember running tape on him and his good friend Mark Steven's better know as K 3 V VG.  Unfortunately, Mark died of Leukemia many years ago.  Those 2 guys were a blast to listen to and I am sure I have many hours of them on tape.  Roger had a real laid back style on the air. After I got my Ham ticket in 1966 I then had the pleasure of working Roger many times on the air.  In recent years he spent much of his time helping those work through the medical maze who had similar illness as he did.  I know he got a great amount of gratification helping others and he was a tireless advocate of breaking down barriers.  Our last technical conversation was about the restoration of tube audio amps.   For several years he did operate my repeater and on several occasions talked to Bill, W3DUG through it.  He had tremendous admiration for his wife Judy and I am sure she is going through tuff times.  He will certainly be missed by all his friends but I will never forget the great QSO's we had over the years and it all started with the Ranger and that JT-30!
Joe, W3GMS         

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

Sorry to hear of his passing. He was one of the first calls I remember hearing as a JN SWL in 1975. May he rest in peace.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »

A brave person indeed. May he finally rest in peace.

Roger made us appreciate the good health many of us have.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »

Never knew Roger but used to read the boatanchor archives from his site back in the mid-90s, and ended up learning about his medical issues as a result. Pulmonary Idiopathic Fibrosis, never forgot it. I remember reading about the transplant as well as so much else there. IIRC, he was big into music as well.

Another one gone. RIP, Roger.   

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »

Roger made us appreciate the good health many of us have.

Very true.

He kept his smile -- that's most of the challenge, feeling good where the medicine can't reach.

* WA3FLE.jpg (174.69 KB, 300x258 - viewed 482 times.)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:10:24 PM »

Wow, that's sad news.  I remember talking with Roger quite a bit back in the '70s.  It sounds as if he really put up a courageous fight.

Rest now in Peace.  Steve C.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »

Sad news.  I used to talk to Roger when I lived in MA but hadn't heard from him since.

That's a terrible disease.  I had never heard of it until my mother was diagnosed with it.  She lived 8 months following diagnosis, with the aid of an O2 machine.

Since then I probably couldn't tally the number of people I have known who have succumbed to it on both hands.  I think a person would have a better chance with a cancer or AIDS diagnosis.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015