The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:55:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Value of a GPR-90 rack model  (Read 7709 times)
KM1H
Contributing

« on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »

I was looking at this today and have a tentative hold put on it until I go back to the hamfest tomorrow AM.

Its been completely recapped and aligned by a well respected collector. Has the covers and is very clean. Front panel has a few scratches on top right.

Asking $400.

Carl
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 11:02:13 PM »

Carl

Clean units in factory cabinets fetch $550 - $700 on ebay lately. I'd rate the receiver as okay ...nothing special. They certainly don't live up to the hype. You won't loose money at that price, though.

See any other interesting receivers?

http://www.w1vd.com/TMCGPR90.html

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »

Carl,

The TMC GPR-90 in the factory cabinet is the one that everyone wants. Rackmount-only units go for considerably less $$$.

Nowadays, I think a nice, clean GPR-90 in good working condition with the cabinet goes for around $500 to $600 up on e-Bay, although I have seen some go for much more depending upon the condition, originality, and how badly somebody wants one. I saw one go for $2200 awhile back, but the days of those exhorbitantly high prices are now gone. The very earliest GPR-90s (1955 production only) do not include the internal XTAL calibrator.

Without the cabinet, I personally think $400 is a bit high, although it sounds like most of the electrical restoration work has already been done for you. I think a fair hamfest price for the GPR-90 you have described is around $300.00.

Be forewarned; in my opinion and in the opinion of many others, it is not the best receiver in the world, for either AM or SSB use. I think it is one of the prettiest receivers ever made and it is certainly well-built, but it is not a great performer. I have had two of them, and the one I have now (with the original factory cabinet) with the rare matching TMC GSB-1 SSB Adaptor is a keeper. You can see a photo of mine below.

I think TMC should have kept to doing what they did best; world-class, best-of-breed HF radio transmitting equipment. None of the TMC receivers I am personally acquainted with are stellar performers.

Hope that this helps!

Bruce

* TMC GPR-90 & GSB-1 of 8-8-09.jpg (250.99 KB, 1050x592 - viewed 1261 times.)

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »

Agree with the others - $400 is a bit much for one w/o the cabinet.

Indeed, it's not the best performing receiver I own - but it is my favorite.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
kg8lb
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 06:31:45 AM »

Indeed, it's not the best performing receiver I own - but it is my favorite.

You bet !
 If you decide not to get it I would love to have the contact info. having owned many, many receivers the GPR-90, properly aligned is one of my favorites among the boat anchor types. Beautifully built from high quality components. A real joy to operate.

This pair also have the matching GSB-1s and speakers.

BTW,This one , not really a super clean example but having the cabinet of course, sold on Ebay recently for $710:

N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »

Yes, they sure do look nice!

Makes you want to get one just to look at it.

Brett
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »

I passed on it and it was gone a few hours later. Too many flaws and nit picks in the sunlight. I figured $200-300 alone on a refinished panel plus then a cabinet and bottom plate. $400 was too much just for looking pretty.

Blew enough cash these last 2 days including for a near mint 32V2 and 75A3 which has an AM and SSB filter and factory calibrator. Either one was less than the GPR-90.

Got lots of other buzzardly stuff also which will keep me busy this winter. Enough to fill the car both days and taildragging home. Included were a pair of 28A 115/230V 7.5kva Variacs, $90 for both.

Carl
KM1H
kg8lb
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »

Sometimes the second look in good light is all it takes. Patience pays often pays off and a better one may show up later at a better price.
  Another person who doesn't mind a few cosmetic issues is probably a very happy person tonight as well.

I am looking to get one for my new shack in the mountains near Gatlinburg TN. Cosmetics are secondary, just looking for one to get working well. I have a spare cabinet NIB so that would not be an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015