The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:04:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you, Mr. R-390 Thief.  (Read 10003 times)
AB5S

Look what four daughters will do to you.

« on: October 14, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

I had two nice, 6-foot Navy gray R-390 mounting racks
in my yard in Nevada, Texas.  The heavy steel 4-square
ones with the solid bottoms.  One even still had its
nomenclature plate.  I made the mistake of saying
I was going to work out a trade on one of the local
Dallas repeaters (stupid me) Undecided.  Well, they walked away
one dark night.  Lots of other things a common thief
would want were untouched; he took only the racks.

So.... if you see an R-390 person bragging about his
two new racks, please tell him that, when he gets
a moment from his stealing, he might drop me an email
and let me know how he likes his racks.
WV Hoopie
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:48:06 PM »

Dave,

Just another doper more than likely. Gotta get a fix for the meth habit. Can't leave anything out or unlocked. Several times a year there is someone walking down the street where I live. Every couple of houses they walk up to the front door and try to get in. No money to keep them in jail here in Lane Co Orygun.

wd8kdg
Craig,
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 03:18:50 AM »

Things must be really bad in the Dallas area.  I have a cousin who lives there, in a nice upscale suburb just north of the city.  One of those HOA concentration camps, but she is not a ham and doesn't have any interest in antennas.  However, she wanted to replace her shingle roof with a metal one and they told her that metal roofs were forbidden. Every house in the development is surrounded by a high wooden or stone fence.

She says everything must be locked  down every minute of the  day. One day she didn't lock her garage and within a couple of hours, a thief stole a box full of all her tools.  She says if you are out mowing the lawn and you run out of gas, you can't just leave the mower sitting if it is visible from the street and go to the house to get the gas can. If you do, by the time you return, the mower will be gone.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:05:24 AM »

You might quietly sign up on a few R-390/R390A reflectors to see if the subject comes up.

What was the nomenclature tag on there ?  That alone is like a VIN number since they're not too common.  If the plate starts circulating ...

Any images for Be On the Lookout ?

If not -- do a Google --
I seem to remember some shots taken dockside North Korea USS Pueblo, that included some interior shots of the equipment bays -- your racks might be the same model holding up the R390As that are seen in those images.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:18:08 AM »

that stinks.  Dallas is the only place I ever had anything stolen from me.

Watch EBAY too. that place is a fences dream.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1GFH
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:54:21 AM »

Also check local scrap metal yards. The steel racks may have been sold for cash by the pound.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »

Interesting I thought Fort Worth looked pretty safe at night. I thought nothing of walking around at night with a couple hundred in my pocket.
Since there seemed to be plenty of cops on the street.
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:46:06 AM »

Well that's simple check the closest junk yard something like that is a quick turnover, around here they were cutten the cat converters off of the cars an trucks...it slowed down a little this past month..

Jack.

W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

Time to bring in mandatory carry laws.
An armed populace does wonders to cut down the rate of criminal behavior.
About time we started taking back our country from the illegals, criminal class and sociopaths.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »

Time to take back the country from the traitors who control the beltway boobs
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 02:29:55 PM »

Don't forget your local Craiglist
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »

Funny thing happened to me the other day. I was beginning construction of a K9AY loop and I had a nice piece of aluminum out there to mount the control box and attach to the ground rod. It was gonna make a nice install. Roll Eyes
I have spent hours re-tracing my steps of that day going every where I could have been that day and that piece of aluminum is GONE!
I might also be experiencing a massive brain fart too.  Shocked

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »

Time to take back the country from the traitors who control the beltway boobs

Man, you took the words out of my mouth

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »

Up till now the presumption around here, being that the populace at home is armed and will use said arms, means that unless your place is clearly not being used no one will dare to steal anything. Of course this is still a reasonably rural setting, although the 'burban types have begun to buy up fields and put up homes with manicured lawns. Now you might have a manicured lawn, I do not, nor would I want such a thing... but my opinions and views count for not a thing in the larger scheme of things...

perhaps what is needed in some parts of the country - places where things magically disappear from yards - is the rough equivalent of a "small animal trap". That being some "desireable" object(s) that are set to trigger a series of flash cameras and a very very loud alarm simultaneously upon being lifted... that and maybe auto dial the 911 with a pre-recorded message "...this is an automatic alarm at <your address> a burglary and theft is in progress <repeat>..." that would do the trick.

Then be prepared with a video camera with sound to record the arrival of the constabulary... then call the local TV stations and explain that you have a very nice feature story for them... that will likely reduce the amount of such crimes in the area for some time to come... this last part is optional.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »

perhaps what is needed in some parts of the country - places where things magically disappear from yards - is the rough equivalent of a "small animal trap". That being some "desireable" object(s) that are set to trigger a series of flash cameras and a very very loud alarm simultaneously upon being lifted... that and maybe auto dial the 911 with a pre-recorded message "...this is an automatic alarm at <your address> a burglary and theft is in progress <repeat>..." that would do the trick.

Then be prepared with a video camera with sound to record the arrival of the constabulary... then call the local TV stations and explain that you have a very nice feature story for them... that will likely reduce the amount of such crimes in the area for some time to come... this last part is optional.

_-_-bear

Instead, how about a large pit full of spikes under said object Smiley  or incredibly heavy thing suspended over object of value.   I like the pit Idea because you can just fill it in when done and plant a garden over it. neat.  The heavy thing gets messy...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »

Happy thoughts... but rather illegal - for the record.

I prefer the "virtual trap" using the video &/or the still cameras... quite effective.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »

posted for "Entertainment Only, not to be taken as advice of a legal or practical nature."

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
WV Hoopie
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »

Happy thoughts... but rather illegal - for the record.

I prefer the "virtual trap" using the video &/or the still cameras... quite effective.

_-_-

Hey Bear,

here in Orygun there isn't enough money to keep the meth heads in jail and they know it. druggies are back out on the street stealing before the ink is dry on the first offense.

S&S&S: Shoot, Shovel, & Shut-Up
WQ9E

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 11:10:54 AM »

There are some positives with the traditional branches of Islam and the Meth heads would find it far more difficult to steal (and do their shake and bake Meth cooking) minus their hands.

Frankly, since all they want is their Meth I have no problem with some large Meth ranches somewhere in the wilds of Nevada.  Fence them off with concertina wire, hire some unemployed to guard against them leaving, toss in the ingredients for their drugs and let them have a ball without bothering anyone else.  Perhaps the same ground could do double duty as a storage point for spent nuclear fuel rods-they probably do need a source of heat to cook their drugs.  See, I do have a heart Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 02:05:34 AM »

Burglars and thieves are sometimes shot here in Dallas. They are pretty much on notice and usually try to pick soft targets.

Maybe the R390 rack thieves got lucky or maybe they were smart and knew your coming in and going out. If they heard this on the repeater, you got a couple hambones looking to be SK's.

We have a real zombie problem here in South Oak Cliff. Zombies, as we know, mostly come out at night but a few who have not been totally converted still walk during daylight. It's like a filthy disease, the crack and meth and cigars laced with embalming fluid. Your thieves may not have been zombies. Might have been hams. That is really disturbing.

The local zombies know very well that my property is to be avoided because of the risk of lead poisoning. The visible and concealed surveillance cameras help to both ward off the attentive thief and catch the dull one. More than one person here does not own a vehicle. The phone goes to a machine. The door is not answered if the visitor is not known. I realize not everyone can take all of these advantages. The visible regular-looking cameras and concealed low-light cameras are a good start. I use the monochrome ones because they are far more sensitive than color ones.

I am sick and tired of the thieving, burglaries, and general punk BS perpetrated on the citizens in my neighborhood. So are many of the other neighbors equally fed up. We call the police on suspicious persons alot, and the police show up quickly for that call. For whatever reason, in Dallas, if you have a suspicious person, the cops show up prety quick. Several times, the person is already a criminal and has been located and gets arrested for something else.

Crackheads and Thugs Loose in Your Neighborhood?
Constant parade of midnight walkers?
Hooks and Creepy Crawlers eyeballing your property?
Had Enough? Fed Up with Evil Clowns?

Get the "Ghetto Blaster(tm)"!

* 1.jpg (60.79 KB, 730x557 - viewed 439 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 05:58:41 AM »

Um, Pat...remind me to call ahead before a visit. Grin

But of course, it's getting bad enough here in Balch Springs.  Plenty of theft and vandalism to go around.

For the record, I pray that I don't have to draw down on someone.  But if need be, I will.  Especially now, what with having to take care of my older sister.

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
AB5S

Look what four daughters will do to you.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:08 AM »

>...Your thieves may not have been zombies.
>Might have been hams. That is really disturbing.

Thanks for writing, ya'll. 
No doubt in my mind this was a ham.
He had help, because there were too heavy for
the average guy to handle alone.
There were lots of other easily-fenced items around,
including targets for the many "mexican metal merchants"
that regularly work the rural areas around Dallas.
He knew exactly what he wanted. 
I hope they fall on him and break his neck.

>...Get the "Ghetto Blaster(tm)"!
Mine is 12-gauge.  Chased away a "zombie" with it last year.
I've defended my family with a .45 auto once
and would do it again with a smile.
I have no moral problem whatever
with sending a filthy criminal to "his father below."
I'd feel worse about shooting a rabid dog.
But we were away to visit grandma for a couple of days.
At least I wasn't so stupid as to say on
the repeater that I was going anywhere;
I shake my head every time I hear someone do that.
73 Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015