The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:25:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting files from PC Word to Mac  (Read 14906 times)
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 10:05:14 PM »

Looks like you've solved the problem, Steve !! Great !! And thank you for sending the files to CQ.

And thanks for your input, Bruce, I didn't know a machine could handle both Mac and XP simultaneously.

However, Bruce, giving CQ a PDF file wouldn't permit them to format the pages. I have all the new chapters in PDF, but they wouldn't help the CQ people.

Incidentally, for anyone who'd like to read Chapter 25 that will appear in the new 3rd edtion of Reflections, it's been on my web page for quite some time at www.w2du.com. Just click on 'Preview Chapters from Reflections 3.'

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »

Rob, thanks again for your help. However, when using 'save as', and then pulling down the pull-down menu 'save as type', adding the new conversion file didn't add any new type to the menu, nor did it show any way to access the 'conversion' function. I'm still frustrated with that new file I downloaded today.

Walt

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »

The recent crop of Macs can run Mac OS X, Windows and Unix, all at the same time. With the virtual machine software out there, PCs can run multiple OSes simultaneously too.

And thanks for your input, Bruce, I didn't know a machine could handle both Mac and XP simultaneously.

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 11:03:10 PM »

Hi Walt,

I believe that pack may have simply added format compatibility between the version of Word on your Win2K machine and versions of Word from Office 97 through Office 2003. That's not a bad thing, but it certainly didn't help you with what you needed done today, and it most likely did not add any new format capabilities that would show up in the "Save file as" drop down. If I stumble across the pack that helps with cross platform publishing formats I'll PM you with a link.

I'm going to need my slide rule and my daughter's old calculus book to understand your article Walt!

:O)

Rob

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 10:24:04 AM »

I want to thank all who participated in helping solve my problem, especially to Steve, who actually performed the conversion and sent the product to CQ. We won't know right away whether the machine at CQ can use Steve's product until it's tested there. We won't know until sometime next week, because Gail, K2RED, the managing editor is on vacation until then. She is performing the work on my book.

I hesitated earlier in attaching the file, Chapter 25 of Reflections 3, because I wasn't sure the equations would come out correctly. But since I've already shown you how to find the file on my web page with the equations shown correctly, I'm going to post the file as an attachment here, just to see if the equations will come out correctly.

Thanks again, guys,

Walt

* CHAP25.doc (136.5 KB - downloaded 213 times.)

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

Looks good in Word; hopefully it'll convert well to Mac OS.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W4EWH

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »

This issue is going to be whether or not the people at CQ are willing to view his article if its in html and then type all of it into their word processing program.

That's not what I had in mind. I asked if the file would render correctly in a browser in order to find out if MS Word would convert the equations to HTML, but I assumed that everyone would understand that the next step was to open that file using Word for Mac, and thereby employ HTML as an "interchange" format.

Sorry I didn't make that more clear.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »

Bill, Rick picked up on your suggestion and emphasized it to me. So I saved the file in HTML as an interchange format as you suggested. All the equations came out ok, except that one came out on top of the text, even while using Internet Explorer, the same as it did using Microsoft Office.

On the other hand, Rick says it came out all ok on his machine, so maybe that'll work. Depends on whether the machine at CQ will handle it correctly.

Thank you Bill and Brian and all the others who helped solving my problem.

Walt

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015