The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At least ONE of the 3892 crew has a good-looking daughter.  (Read 16248 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 12:57:48 PM »

The video didn't piss me off.  I thought it was funny, and that it would be amusing for poking a little fun at No Balls & Co.

Actually, the poor girl probably just hit a mental blank under the pressure of the situation.  I have had the same thing happen myself, for example when I suddenly can't think of the name of a person I have known for years the very moment I am introducing them to a stranger, or when I can't think of a key word I need to express a thought, even though that word is one I use every day.

Believe me, I know.  I taught in secondary education for 22 years.

Don that's called a brain fart. We're getting them more often. Stop stansding in front of the microwave oven.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »

It's nothing new. Were any of you taught that Woodrow Wilson segregated the Army? That he was a big believer in eugenics? That he was probably out of commision from a stroke for many months but he did not turn over the reins to the VPn (his wife likely ran things)?

Ed said:
I get frustrated with the school system here at times. Like when my oldest came home from High School and told me that his science teacher told the class that the Apollo landings were faked.

I agree with you, Ed. What really tweaks me is when school districts will 're-write' history in the name of political correctness.

That one sounds more like a case of personal agenda than political correctness.

I never so much observed deliberate misinformation, as deliberate omission of information.

I can recall when sometimes significant current or historical events would somehow come up during a class discussion, and absolutely no-one in the entire class would have ever heard of it.  It had been completely glossed over in history, social studies, government and literature classes.
ka3zlr
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »

And everyone here has a right to step up at your local School board and speak up.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »

And everyone here has a right to step up at your local School board and speak up.

Yea like they will pay any attention to you.  Ha!  You better take an army to the meetings.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »

I recently met a 15 YO who didn't know there was an ongoing war in Iraq, nor one in Afganistan.      Really.

klc

What? Me worry?
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »

Until this post I never really paid any attention to 3892,3 or the slopbuckets who for some reason have to adjoin and splatter into the window from 3873 to 3885.

But I did give a listen to these guys and they sounded more like Chicken Banders than real hams.

I can't count the number of times they just talked over each other. Pure chaos IMHO.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »

..or 3872 on which Frank enlightened me last night on WFDNet, 3733.  Grin
Unreal.  Guess I'll have to listen more.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »

Coupla points here...

Special Education Teachers are a good thing. They truly help students who have various problems and disabilities. Nothing wrong with Special Ed.

When I was 16 I graduated HS.
In 7th grade my term paper for history was 100 pages long, mandated at that length minimum. Typewritten, no self correcting or computers, thanks...
The "text book" was called "The Encyclopedia Of American History" and was something like the size and thickness of the Radiotron Designers Handbook, a day to day accounting of events in American history.  That was just the text. We read Sandburg's Lincoln and Henry Steele Commanger as well. In 7th grade. 8th and 9th was more of the same.

Was that at some elite private school? Nope, that was at Creston JHS 79 in the Bronx NY...

We were bright kids, and they pushed us - there was also the "not as bright" classes, and they did not get this sort of syllabus by any means... many of them went off to the HS "trade schools" back then...

Things appear to be somewhat different these days, not sure how or why.
But that might be an illusion since there were many classes of students who were not as capable as my group even in the same school...

I think things are more glaring now because of the instant and wider access via the internet and TV compared to the few streams of this sort of thing "back in the day"... 

Just my 2 cents worth... zinc centers as they are...

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Ed WA4NJY

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »

Being in the government school system for several years, I know what made the
SC contestant be at a disadvantage.  She was absent during Map Awareness Week.

Ed
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »

We were bright kids, and they pushed us - there was also the "not as bright" classes, and they did not get this sort of syllabus by any means... many of them went off to the HS "trade schools" back then...

You are getting at the root of the problem.  In many school systems, all kids (except for special education classes) are automatically placed into a university-bound curriculum, while the "vocational" classes are phased out for "budget" reasons or because someone has decided that all kids must meet new "state standards".  Many kids haven't the interest, the ability or neither to go to university, and need preparation for success in the world of plumbers, mechanics, carpenters, janitors, construction workers, bus drivers and other "blue collar" occupations (including electronics technicians), more so  than academics beyond learning to read, write, calculate, and express themselves well.

Some kids, even highly intelligent ones, are bored to death in advanced chemistry,  pre-calculus and academic literature classes, and end up misbehaving and ruining it for those who really are interested in the subject.

Perhaps  they should do away with  compulsory education altogether beyond the grade 8 level and allow kids to drop out, but allow and encourage them, even after they have reached adulthood, to voluntarily return to school to finish their education once they have had a taste of the real world and their fill of cleaning grease traps and asking customers if they want fries with that.  Former drop-outs would likely be more motivated to succeed in school after those experiences.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »

Perhaps  they should do away with  compulsory education altogether beyond the grade 8 level and allow kids to drop out, but allow and encourage them, even after they have reached adulthood, to voluntarily return to school to finish their education once they have had a taste of the real world and their fill of cleaning grease traps and asking customers if they want fries with that.  Former drop-outs would likely be more motivated to succeed in school after those experiences.

The problem with that Don is that instead of flipping burgers, cleaning grease traps and mopping mall floors, many of these dropouts are seduced by the easy money and allure offered by street gangs, criminal activity and dope selling.

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »

It's nothing new. Were any of you taught that Woodrow Wilson segregated the Army? That he was a big believer in eugenics? That he was probably out of commision from a stroke for many months but he did not turn over the reins to the VPn (his wife likely ran things)?

Ed said:
I get frustrated with the school system here at times. Like when my oldest came home from High School and told me that his science teacher told the class that the Apollo landings were faked.

I agree with you, Ed. What really tweaks me is when school districts will 're-write' history in the name of political correctness.

That one sounds more like a case of personal agenda than political correctness.

I never so much observed deliberate misinformation, as deliberate omission of information.

I can recall when sometimes significant current or historical events would somehow come up during a class discussion, and absolutely no-one in the entire class would have ever heard of it.  It had been completely glossed over in history, social studies, government and literature classes.

Of course the same thing applies to mainstream news media.

Why isn't THIS making the news in the US?

I first heard about it on Radio France Internationale on 7265 kHz, while tuning through the 40m band the other night.  An anti-junta rally at a stadium, when troops moved in and murdered over 100 people.  Women were stripped naked and raped in the street.  Further violence has produced more deaths.

It was the top news item on Radio France, Deutsche-Welle and Vatican Radio, but absolutely nothing on the local radio or TV news, on the commercial or the public stations.  This morning, about 3 days after the fact, it rated a 10-line paragraph in an obscure corner on page 2 of the local newspaper.

The only way I could find anything via internet news was with a Google search, and it showed up only on Yahoo's UK website.

With the US policing the entire world and our troops in over 100 countries, involved in "nation building" on multiple fronts, you would think that world events like this would at least grab a little more media attention.  I would have thought that an event of this magnitude would have generated banner headlines everywhere.

No wonder United States-ese are so ignorant of what is going on in the rest of the world.

The death toll from a crackdown by Guinean security forces on opponents of the military junta has risen to 157, a rights group has said.

Security forces on Monday opened fire on tens of thousands of protesters urging military ruler Captain Moussa Dadis Camara to step down.

The deaths at a stadium in capital Conakry spurred international condemnation and the threat of sanctions from the African Union...

Junta Troops 'Slaughter 157 At Guinea Rally'

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »

No wonder United States-ese are so ignorant of what is going on in the rest of the world.

They are ignorant of what's happening in their own country. The lamestream media doesn't cover the violence on our own southern border. Why would they cover some minor violence in another country?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015