The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 01:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TASH Antennas  (Read 6863 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« on: September 24, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »

Looking at http://www.arrl.org/qex/2009/07/feature.pdf while I was checking out biconical antennas for another project above 2 meters.

Anyone tried one of these?  Works worth a damn?

Would be interested, getting ready to take a few painkillers and try stringing up an antenna so I can play this winter.

--Shane
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:12:26 AM »

interesting but looks like they only have a design for 14 mhz and higher.  It reminded me of the so-called Fractal antennas.

If I had a really restricted plot, I'd try it.  Scale it up and tell everyone it's a "modern sculpture".

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:19:24 AM »

For the effort, you'll do much better with a random piece of wire and a tuner.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »

I like it, but it would get very large like any antenna for the lower frequencies.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

interesting but looks like they only have a design for 14 mhz and higher.  It reminded me of the so-called Fractal antennas.

If I had a really restricted plot, I'd try it.  Scale it up and tell everyone it's a "modern sculpture".

I was actually thinking of something like that.  It's got BW like a discone, but doesn't stick out like one does... You might could get away with that in front of the ol mobile home in Mesa, Az. (grandparents lived there)....  As you say, it could be a piece of ugly (modern?) art.

Looks like a bunch of quarter waves.  Interesting antenna, though. 

--Shane

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »

Yea paint it pink or aquamarine and you're set!

I was actually thinking of something like that.  It's got BW like a discone, but doesn't stick out like one does... You might could get away with that in front of the ol mobile home in Mesa, Az. (grandparents lived there)....  As you say, it could be a piece of ugly (modern?) art.

Looks like a bunch of quarter waves.  Interesting antenna, though. 

--Shane

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »

I sent the TASH PDF to my antenna designer buddy Spence (KW2S), just to tweak him. Nothing gets an antenna designer more riled up than when I send him a "magic device that can double the range of your cellphone". This usually gets a rise.   

"Gave it a quick read. Not one word about efficiency, simulated or measured, despite comments in opening paragraphs.  Smells bad.  People are still fascinated with SWR. Will give it a more careful read soon. "

-Spencer

And Later...

"OK...

Now I am convinced that this is a case of simulation masturbation.

<shred>

S"

These are the good old days of AM
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »

Compromise, as usual.  In order to get a broad banded antenna, you have to give up something else.  Efficiency, simplicity, or Huh

Gain antennas are the same way, Get gain, FB ratio, tight pattern, in exchange for decreased bandwidth and increased mechanical complexity.

When it comes to antennas, the reason there are so many discussions and arguments is because there is NO SINGLE RIGHT ANSWER and frequently the results are highly subjective and anecdotal.  Even guys with Network Analyzers will argue over which parameter is most important to optimize.

You can radiate RF with almost anything and after that everything else is subject to designer preferences.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »

Maybe they forgot the R.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »

Steve said:
Maybe they forgot the R.

Grin  Grin  Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:49:16 PM »

The R.. Can't be much on that thing.

The next gen of antenna snake oil could be a spool of resistance wire wrapped around a fiberglass rod tough.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:02:22 PM »

That's thing about antennas there is no wrong way Just follow protocol and experiment I like Loops I like Bazookas I like Beverages Have fun build em all an notice the changes.. Smiley

An experiment with feed lines all is not just Coax feed...there's the real gain...Balance... Smiley

AN Fall is upon us and the trees are gona give their leaves up for us to make those masterful shots through the branches. Its Antenna Time Yeaaaa....my favorite time of the year.... Cheesy

Jack.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015