The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:14:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crystal Sets using Contra wound Litz Coils  (Read 3808 times)
ka3zlr
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

Hello any Regen users out there..?

I've been spending a great deal of time with my regens and catching up on my reading now that I'm feeling better but I'm coming up short on winding the coils. I am interested in using the upright flat discs and I'm drawing a blank as to how to wind these things, is it one wire in both directions or two...Cornfused here...

Jack.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »

I think you mean spider web coils? Usually wound on a flat circular form with an odd number of slots cut radially inwards.

If you visit the crystal set society they have some handy excel tools for winding them on freq.

http://www.midnightscience.com/

Those coils can give a pretty hi q due to the distributed capacitance. Mechanically simple to mount too, makes a vario-coupler rather easier to work up.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:05:56 AM »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for replying, yea I read their site an a few others, the Spider coils are cool, but I get confused on the contra wound Coils because the description I read is one coil is in one direction an the other is opposite unless I'm reading something wrong here, I looked at it like one big Coil an then it's Taped where needed...more reading I guess.

Regens are are fun I'd like to build two one for 80 an one for 40 maybe throw one in for 160 from what I understand they can be a Pickle to work, But when they're set beautiful Fidelity can be had for little work.

Jack.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015