The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:57:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REGEN FEVER  (Read 24314 times)
KC4VWU

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 02:24:07 AM »

Yup, I got hard up for some decent wire. The plastic/vinyl stuff just doesn't look right, and what I have of that is pretty cheap stuff and it either shrinks up or melts at the solder joints. Im working on this BC-342 now and all the cloth covered wire has started to deteriorate. I guess I'll have to break down and buy several colors in 50' spools and a lot of solder wick. Mike did a great wrtie up in ER on the Command set transmitters, now I'm really starting to get hooked on this antique military stuff. I can't wait to get the ART-13 going!
73, Phil
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »

Boy, mentioning "Meissner" suddenly brought back memories!

When I was about ten years old, our Boy Scout troop leader showed several of us how to build a three tube Meissner regen from a kit.

I spent hours and hours in the basement listening to the one I built.  I was hooked on SWLing!  My parents had to drag me out of the basement when it was time to go to bed.

This all happened in about 1946.  We learned to send and receive Morse code in the Boy Scouts, too.

73, Barrie, W7ALW

Here you go Barrie!

Mike WU2D

* MeissnerMidgetKitPoster copy.jpg (125.96 KB, 862x1166 - viewed 588 times.)

* MM_Meissner_Original.jpg (164.68 KB, 1584x1086 - viewed 554 times.)

* MeissnerMidget_Restored_a.jpg (132.08 KB, 1390x1046 - viewed 569 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
KC4VWU

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »

Wow! I've had this for nearly 20 years and just about forgot about it! I think I had bought it at the Charlotte hamfest kinda figuring it was a regen, but not sure. I had thought of stripping it and rebuilding another circuit on it. Thank goodness I had enough insight at the time to put it away for a while.

* dcp_0001-1.jpg (303 KB, 1266x1017 - viewed 538 times.)

* dcp_0002-1.jpg (351.38 KB, 1309x1244 - viewed 506 times.)

* dcp_0003.jpg (880.55 KB, 2160x1440 - viewed 578 times.)
W1UJR
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

Here you go Barrie!

Mike WU2D

Hey, that looks just like the little regen in my barn!
In fact, it even has an blue ribbon attached to it.  Wink
KC4VWU

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »

How far did you go on the originality Bruce? Did you restuff the wax/paper caps? I think I may have a couple of 76's and a rectifier. No plug in coils though. Does anyone have the coil data? This would be a great little "take a break" project.
W1UJR
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 02:51:56 PM »

Actually I was kidding, I have Mike's wonderful little regen back at the house.
I bought it back from the AWA Conference, where Mike won a blue or red ribbon - he's a bit too humble to share that.  Wink
I can tell you that he did a wonderful job with the set, looks great, I've been tempted to try it out, but won't think of doing so without permission.

KC4VWU

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »

I'd like to learn a little more about these regans. I did a search online and found some information on the battery powered version. I'd like to get a skizmatic for the AC version. This may be a good father/daughter project.
Phil
W1UJR
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »

Pretty but cranky!!! regen - Gross Eagle - circa 1934

Video of set on CHU -->>http://gallery.me.com/brucehowes#100297/MOV02236&bgcolor=black

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

There are some nice circuits for regens in the old 30's era Frank Jones Radio Handbooks.  I'm planning to build a matching receiver to use with the 6A6 push pull xtal osc xmtr that I already built.  This stuff is really easy to put together and recaptures the thrill of building your own station and actually making contacts with something that you built yourself.  Certainly easier than building a big AM rig, but still a lot of fun.  30's vintage components for these projects are plentiful, but you may also want to make some substitutions using more recent vintage parts.  You can purchase the boards and hardware at your local Home Despot or Lowes or Menard's and even dress them up with some nice stain or varnish of some sort.  These rigs also make wonderful Father/Son or Father/ Daughter (or Grandpa/ Grandchild) projects.  

Maybe old technology...but requires a little simple manual craftmanship and produces very satisfying results.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Detroit47

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »

I have an Allied Knight kit Span Master. This kit is 1958 vintage and it works well. The manual is on BAMA.  It would be very easy to duplicate the coils if anyone has interest I’ll post a picture. It’s not quite as classy as the older stuff but it’s still fun. I’m surprised no one has mentioned any TRF receivers’. I myself have way too many Radiolas, Breadboards and crystal sets. I am a sucker for anything old with tubes.
73 Johnathan N8QPC
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »

The set came from WA1HUD's cellar! It apparently was a kit that Meissner sold until they simply ran out of type 76 tubes. It had a curtain burner dropping cord that I was nervous about so I put an ordinary three prong cord on it (I did at least pick a brown one) and I grounded the chassis. No I did not go crazy and put period parts back in like paper caps. I did however have to add a voltage dropping resistor that gets plenty hot. It is AC /DC, hums more than I would like and tunes fast. This is no top performer!

Here is the schematic.

Mike WU2D

* MeissnerMidget_MM02.jpg (164.32 KB, 1499x1002 - viewed 509 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
W1UJR
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »

This is no top performer!
Mike WU2D

May not sound good, but it sure looks pretty, and like women, that's 50% of the equation!  Wink
Barrie
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 05:42:50 PM »

Boy, mentioning "Meissner" suddenly brought back memories!

When I was about ten years old, our Boy Scout troop leader showed several of us how to build a three tube Meissner regen from a kit.

I spent hours and hours in the basement listening to the one I built.  I was hooked on SWLing!  My parents had to drag me out of the basement when it was time to go to bed.

This all happened in about 1946.  We learned to send and receive Morse code in the Boy Scouts, too.

73, Barrie, W7ALW

Here you go Barrie!

Mike WU2D

Mike:  That's it!  That's the exact set!  Do you own that radio?  Wanna sell it?

Barrie, W7ALW
W1UJR
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »

Hey, its in my barn, I've got first dibs!  Wink
ka3zlr
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:16 PM »

Bruce that Gross Eagle is NNice.

Jack.
W1UJR
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »

Bruce that Gross Eagle is NNice.

Jack.

Thanks Jack, the Gross Eagle is a pretty rig and original, but unfortunately not very stable, very cranky, not at all like the National SW-3. I thought it was just my rig, that something was not right, Larry and I had been all over it, could not find a thing out of order. Then I spoke with Harold KB0ROB who has a Eagle as well, he had the same experience.

I've a bit of a dilemma, if it were rough, I'd tear it apart and rebuild it to be more stable, but it is 100% original and I can't bring myself to do that. I had a hard time just feeling ok unsoldering connections for testing components. :-) I suspect the unit is so nice as the original owner bought it, found out how cranky it was, and it sat on a shelf for the last 75 years!

I console myself with the thought that this winter I'll take some time to see if I can implement some fix which stabilizes the Gross rig, yet keeps it original.

Speaking of regens, here is a photo of the wonderful regen Larry kindly built me last year for Christmas.
It took a blue ribbon at this year's AWA Equipment Contest, a comment on Larry's building skills.
Loosely based on the Pilot Wasp, he calls it the "NE1S Quasi Wasp" and it works as sweet as it looks.
Complete story at -->> http://www.w1ujr.net/gift_from_ne1s.htm

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »

That is absolutely beautiful work OM.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ka3zlr
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »

Very Humbling Construction, Awesum....Thanks for bringing them in. Cheesy

Jack.
VE3GZB

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »

Regenerative sets ARE fun to build! I love them!!

I posted this before. I build this set last winter, complete with battery eliminator (underneath).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015