The AM Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:21:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aircraft tracking web site  (Read 3166 times)
KE6DF

« on: September 14, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »

Something interesting (to me anyway) that I just ran across.

A site that lets you see in real time radar aircraft traffic movements in the SF Bay Area.

http://live.airportnetwork.com/sfo/

Lots of planes in the air around the Bay.

W4EWH

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »

A site that lets you see in real time radar aircraft traffic movements in the SF Bay Area.

Way back at the start of the computer revolution, I had a "video" game on my Z-80 based computer: it was about air traffic control. Targets arrived, had to be turned and so forth, and had to leave the "control area" at certain points and altitudes.

I killed a lot of electrons, and gained a new respect for air traffic controllers.

W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:10:37 AM »

Bill said:
Way back at the start of the computer revolution, I had a "video" game on my Z-80 based computer: it was about air traffic control. Targets arrived, had to be turned and so forth, and had to leave the "control area" at certain points and altitudes.]

I had a one that was called "Kennedy Approach" for the Commodore 64. They had standard aircraft along with the 'SST' birds. It was quite tough controlling and landing aircraft during peak periods.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »

The latest video game: Virtual SAM.

It opens that website but modifies the screen view, and the player activates a surface-to-air missile simulation to kill the aircraft of his choice, then the virtual kill is displayed on the screen by having the targeted aircraft vanish from view if the "hit" was successful.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »

I was much more a "Descent" Fan everything on one craft, and the flyer had to progress mostly with his wits LOL..

Jack.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »

I had a very good simulation of ATC radar and air traffic handling. It was a freebee. You had to have approach plates, frequencies and such.  From what I've seen of ATC radar displays it was a pretty good screen shot. 
About the only thing wrong was typing into the keyboard instead of speaking into a mic.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:00:44 PM »

I was much more a "Descent" Fan everything on one craft, and the flyer had to progress mostly with his wits LOL..

Jack.

Wasn't that a great game Jack? The graphics and physics were very smooth and way ahead of other stuff that was out there at the time.

Nice find on the SF Bay Area tracker Dave. Have you played with the real-time flight tracker within Google Earth? It's pretty decent, but I have not yet found a way to de-clutter the other flights that appear around the flight I am tracking as the setting that clears the other flights defaults back to allowing all the flights to show up. I'm sure they will work that out eventually.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015