The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:02:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W5PBN SK  (Read 3126 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: September 14, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »

My elmer, Irvin "Frank" Miller W5PBN, passed away this morning. He is the one that first interested me in radio. He used to let me come over and hang around during his MARS nets when he would use the teletype. He used to work for Branniff as a flight radio operator and before that was a radio operator on planes as old as the DC-2, which he would fly from Brownsville TX to the Panama Canal then to Greenland. He used to build his own equipment and preferred CW. He used AM while it was "practical" but since he was more interested in keeping to the state of the art, he went on to SSB and then to digital stuff. It was never about talking, it was always about communicating.

He built alot of equipment such as transmitters and antenna tuners. I recall him building an ST-6 teletype modem. There was alot of cursing.. and it did take weeks to do. That was the last thing he built. He saw no reason to build things that did not provide state of the art performance, and the continuing trend of miniaturization and complexity caused him to switch to store bought eqipment in the late 1970's. Being about 60 back then he did not care for working on anything of today, with parts too small to see.

He was a real stickler for all the rules as well and unlike many, he would always only use the minimum power necessary. I once asked him about his Dentron linear with four 572B's, as he had the money to buy any amplifier he wanted, and he said he didn't need any more power than that. By then the computerized modes that don't need so much power were in use and that was what he was into, always keeping abreast of the latest communication technology. I do not believe he ever went to Pactor though, I think he didn't like it because it was too automated and he preferred to pass traffic personally.

This was interesting because he would often curse the cheap quality of things like notebook PCs and the difficulty of getting anyone on the phone when there was a problem and how it was ridiculous to have to buy a keyboard when only one button was broken. So then he kept to CW and to digital. He was po'd at the local street urchins for cutting through his yard and put up a wrought iron fence. Unfortunately the little hooligans discovered that they could break the plastic phineals off the tops of the iron bars. I suggested he get pointy metal ones and weld them on, but he said the city would not allow metal spikes on the fence.

He had a fine specimen of a tomcat and he and his wife always preferred a cat, that cat is still there. They used to have a huge fat Siamese named Suki. It was not all fat though, because that one had a temper and would get her hooks into the offending hand pretty quick. His wife is legally blind, and my parents along with others from the old neighborhood take turns taking her to the store etc.

He was a meber of:
Air Transport Command (WWII)
MARS
Veteran Wireless Operators Association
the Old Old Timers Club
Quarter Century Wireless Operators Association

In this 2009 magazine article he wrote an interesting account of a flight to Greenland in a DC-2 on which he was the radio operator.
http://www.vwoa.org/Newsletters/Newsletter46.pdf

In this mag here is a story of when he was working on a large CW transmitter while it was hot to reduce downtime, told the operator not to key it, and the idiot started keying it while he was inside it
http://www.ootc.us/sgt0804c.pdf
But the way he told the story to me, this was a very large transmitter and there was 12KV on the bus and after he left the rig he went to the operator room and cussed the girl out so bad she ran from the operator room in tears, and later the chief asked him just what was going on, and after he told him what she'd done, he went back on the operator room and cussed her out himself. This was just at the start of when women were being employed in traditionally male jobs, and obviously well before the idea of human resources and OSHA had ever been thought of.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:06:28 AM »

Mr. Miller's funeral is Thursday in the Wildwood chapel in Restland, (Greenville @ Forest), Dallas TX.
9AM visitation, 10AM service.

W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:54:13 AM »

Sounds like a wonderful man, I am sorry for your loss.
Folks from that era are something special, they really seemed to appreciate
and understand the privileges and responsibilities which come with a ham ticket.
Glad that you were able to know him.

-Bruce
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »

I met his ham club buddies at the funeral. I did not think they would be so low but something did not seem right when I told them I'd been hanging out there in the past, the air suddenly got very cold.

Shortly thereafter they swooped in there on the widow and tried to pry and demand and "claim" items that were not theirs. When one of their wives got snippy with her, she got mad at them and told the whole pack of them to get out. Hopefully they won't be back. How's that for an update.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »

Patrick said:
I met his ham club buddies at the funeral. I did not think they would be so low but something did not seem right when I told them I'd been hanging out there in the past, the air suddenly got very cold.

Shortly thereafter they swooped in there on the widow and tried to pry and demand and "claim" items that were not theirs. When one of their wives got snippy with her, she got mad at them and told the whole pack of them to get out. Hopefully they won't be back. How's that for an update.

Hmmmm, they best better remember what state in the Union they reside in. It seems to me that the authorities would look the other way if a recently made widow had to protect her property with a shot gun!  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »

That's pretty low.  I thought Estate Vultures would be strangers, but then again, who do we really know...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »

I never had a bonafide "elmer" except for a very brief period when I was in my late teens going back to the late 70's. I was a 17 year old gas slinger at a local gas station in my home town.  My boss had a regular customer who were friends.  His name was Mac.  His real name was Ed but they called him Mac because his last name began with Mc. I didn't know any better. I just figured his name was Mac and went with it. 

Mac appeared to be a cranky old curmudgeon at least I thought back then.  He was always bustin' us JN's.  One day I asked him why his license plate was different than everyone elses that came in to the station.  His first response to me was, "what's wrong with you? Don't you know anything?".  Then his tone changed immediately and told me it was his amateur radio callsign.  I was a licensed CB'er (actually my fathers license) then.  So I naturally blurted out that amateur radio is like CB, right?.  Oh boy. Wrong thing to say to Mac.  He promptly told me the differences then calmed down. I asked him if ham radio was the same as amateur radio and he said yes.  I told him I had heard of ham radio but could not find information on it as I was interested in it and getting my own license.  From that point forward Mac and I became friends.  The other slingers all suffered his grouchy wrath but not I. 

Each time he'd come in it was on my shift and we'd talk about radio.  Then one day he offered to help me get my license.  I took him up on the offer. I was invited over to his shack.  He gave me a code key and oscillator to practice and some reading material.  A few weeks went by and when he stopped in the station and asked how things were going and I told him not good, he immediately went into grouchy mood. I straightened up and we practiced together  a couple of weekends.  Then I didn't see him at the gas station.  Didn't think much of it other than being busy.  A few more weeks go by and in the local paper in the obituary section was the announcement of Ed McInherny's passing.

For a brief period I didn't carry through with the pursuit. I should have in the name of Mac but did not for 4 or 5 years. The killer is I do not know Mac's old callsign and a few of the local hams did not either.  He was a local who did not belong to the local club.  During my mentoring period he was the good guy in disguise, not the cranky guy he appeared to be.

I was 22 (five years later) when I saw a posting in the local library that the local ham club posted for those interested in obtaining their novice license.  I enrolled and two months later I was licensed as a novice at 5wpm, callsign KA1IHQ.  Thanks Mac!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015