The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:14:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help with heathkit tx-1 (apache)  (Read 10981 times)
NR5P

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »

I turned down both the audio pots.  I put the good set of tubes in.  I readjusted the bias but still when I start the final step of tuning up and start increasing loading while dipping the final(it says to do this up to 250ma).  but as soon as I start to increase drive it fries eggs and arcs the capacitor.  I need to go through and test the capacitors I guess like other people said.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »

What are you using for a dummy load? A 100 or 150 light bulb can also work as a temporary load. No load, or short in the coax to the load, can arc the heck out of the loading capacitor.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
NR5P

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »

oh sorry I'm using a 50ohm mfj dummy load.  I found out that the loading capacitor was shorted out when fully meshed.  I starting with the capacitor a little less than meshed and followed the manual.  I got it to tune up to 50watts carrier out no ringing and no arcing.  However I did not get close to 250 ma like the manual says to keep increasing load until you get to 250 ma when tuning up.  But when I tap my meter i found out it sometimes goes to a different reading or goes to 0.  I'm going to check the meter connections.  Man one problem after another but it sure will be worth it when i get this thing on the air!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015