The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:48:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5N0OCH Straps from Nigeria/WCC Chatham To Live On As a Musuem  (Read 2507 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: September 11, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »

I worked Bodo through a big pileup on 40CW from my mobile at Nauset Beach, Cape Cod about sunset Wednesday.

After seeing his video of the curtain antenna he was using, I can see why he was so loud!

http://dx-hamspirit.com/2009/08/ham-radio-activity-from-nigeria-5n0och

It appears to be a slightly smaller version of the Woodpecker curtain antenna...

Nauset Beach is a great location for working into EU and apparently Africa, signals from those locations were really loud...I was in a parking lot about 200 yards from the surf line.

On the way there, stopped by the old WCC station on Rt 28 in Chatham...it's being renovated to be a musuem, primarily with Chatham town funds, through a non profit organization:

www.chathammarconi.org

The place is in pretty rough shape right now. Most of the big "windmill" towers are still standing, with some remnants of the rhombic farm still up in the air. 

Would be a great place to someday do a special op like was done recently at the Armstrong Tower in Alpine, NJ!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:01:13 PM »

I worked Bodo through a big pileup on 40CW from my mobile at Nauset Beach, Cape Cod about sunset Wednesday.

After seeing his video of the curtain antenna he was using, I can see why he was so loud!

http://dx-hamspirit.com/2009/08/ham-radio-activity-from-nigeria-5n0och

It appears to be a slightly smaller version of the Woodpecker curtain antenna...

Nauset Beach is a great location for working into EU and apparently Africa, signals from those locations were really loud...I was in a parking lot about 200 yards from the surf line.

On the way there, stopped by the old WCC station on Rt 28 in Chatham...it's being renovated to be a musuem, primarily with Chatham town funds, through a non profit organization:

www.chathammarconi.org

The place is in pretty rough shape right now. Most of the big "windmill" towers are still standing, with some remnants of the rhombic farm still up in the air. 

Would be a great place to someday do a special op like was done recently at the Armstrong Tower in Alpine, NJ!

Congrats on working him from the mobile!  That beach was a great location for working DX.

I worked him on Wednesday nite....really strong into Indiana! 599+!  That looks like an even bigger antenna than Tom Vu's stacked beams!  The only thing that might rival it would be that Finnish station that has 80/160 beams and the JA station that has a huge folding 80 M yagi. 

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »

Nauseous Beach, eh?  I used to vacation there in the early 80's.  Visited WCC site  when I was there.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »

Chris,

You would have to be a Canadian to get into that cold water without a wet suit!

Nice place to surf cast.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015