The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:17:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One - Do- Tree... Tests with the 2x2x2 40M Yagi stack  (Read 202760 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »

Listening to you guys holding court now.

Tommy:  S9 to s9+10
HUZ  S6-S7
W1TR S3

No QSB to speak of and no lightning static here OMs

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »

I listened in for a while around 9:30 PM last night. I even heard that 10 watt Russian good enuf to work. You were S8 backwards most of the time, Tom.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »

Listening to you guys holding court now.
Tommy:  S9 to s9+10
HUZ  S6-S7
W1TR S3

Yo Johnny -

Glad you tuned us in. Yeah, we can probably work you once you get something running. That oughta be cool, like working a spy outpost.... :-)

Chuck / K1KW joined us too. He attracts lots of old friends, both local and DX break-ins. It became quite a party when Nick, LZ1JY broke in with about five of us stateside.

Buddly: You're hearing pretty well out there to hear that 10W Russian. What were you using? 

Huzman gets the award for hearing the weak ones last night. There were times when he was picking out stuff that us NE guys were struggling with. I think it's partly his good location, but mostly the receiving skills he's developed over the last few years. He can pull stuff outa the heavy staic crashes like nobody's business.... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »

I was using the 160M inverted L (125' wire) tuned to 40 meters.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »

I tried giving a call, but 20 watts or so into that crappy ant wasn't going anywhere.  Who knows what the SWRs are; the final was folding back and that's all I could squeeze out of the ToughShit-50.

That HUZ was only a few S-units behind you is quite a message!   I'm sure if I had something better you'd be pinning the guess meter, Tom.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KL7OF

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »

I've been following the thread and I listened last night from Naknek, Alaska....No static and clear freqs, but problems with the BFO on the old HQ 129x kept me from hearing the SSB....Antenna is a 50 ft sloper.  I will hook up the FT 101 and try again tonight...Great stuff...Steve
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »

I tried giving a call, but 20 watts or so into that crappy ant wasn't going anywhere.  Who knows what the SWRs are; the final was folding back and that's all I could squeeze out of the ToughShit-50.

That HUZ was only a few S-units behind you is quite a message!   I'm sure if I had something better you'd be pinning the guess meter, Tom.

O yeah, the Huzman is getting dangerous. There is talk up here in New England of forming a posse to take his ants out. He's embarrasing too many Northeast big guns... Grin

To work you, we will need to take a special listen with no others calling. When the loud I's, EA's and other Euros call, it's bedlam.  In fact, I listened many times for Russia-only and western Europe kept on calling anyway.  I was told by a friend in Israel via email that there were as many as 20 Russians calling, many from Asiatic Russia.  Even the closer Russians can cover up the very PW Asiatic ones.  

The only alternative is to give out fast 59-chow - 59 chow reports, but I don't want to resort to that BS.

Get your antenna / tuner set up so it takes power and we'll give it a try. Pick a specific time and we'll call for you, OM. 

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

Give us a call Steve. I've worked a few Alaskan stations on 40 but it would be fun to work you.

I've been following the thread and I listened last night from Naknek, Alaska....No static and clear freqs, but problems with the BFO on the old HQ 129x kept me from hearing the SSB....Antenna is a 50 ft sloper.  I will hook up the FT 101 and try again tonight...Great stuff...Steve
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »

I'm still waiting for my sea freight (and my car, incidentally) which has the tooner, ant stuff, parts, amp, etc.  All I have is the Kennywood TS-50 I sent to myself in the APO mail.

I five fingered 10' of RG-59 out of the trash at work, and the ground is tied to the balcony raling with a twist-tie.  Not sure I can polish that turd, Tom, but I get up about 6AM anyway so I'll take a listen again tomorrow AM.

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

I'm still waiting for my sea freight (and my car, incidentally) which has the tooner, ant stuff, parts, amp, etc.  All I have is the Kennywood TS-50 I sent to myself in the APO mail.

I five fingered 10' of RG-59 out of the trash at work, and the ground is tied to the balcony raling with a twist-tie.  Not sure I can polish that turd, Tom, but I get up about 6AM anyway so I'll take a listen again tomorrow AM.

As long as the turd takes power and doesn't flush down the toilet, we'll hear you.... Grin

Send me your Greecian formula email adr to:  [my call]@comcast.net.

T

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »

There are two peaks in activity. One is early 6-8 PM ET (maybe even earlier now as the days grow shorter). These are the late nighters in Europe. There is also a propagation peak due to our sunet. Also, early on your will get some VK and ZL action on the long path. Other OC stuff may be available too.

Then there is a little lull as most of Europe goes to bed and the early risers aren't up yet. But around 11 PM ET, the Russians start to show up (it's something like 0500 their time). A little later the EU early risers show up. Another peak in propagation occurs with the EU sunrise. Right around that time, 1AM ET or so, ZLs start coming through. An hour or so later, the VKs (mostly VK7s) start to come through. Closer to our sine rise, more VKs (1,2,3) start to show up.

Of course, Central and South America is available all throughout these times, but I hear much more out of Europe.

So, you can work DX on 40 meters right now from about 4-5 PM ET to about 7-8 AM ET. With a better antenna you can add an hour or two on each end of these time. I would imagine this winter it will be around the clock or nearly so.

Good observations Steve.  I usually get in there for the first round, but unfortunately the second wave comes after my bedtime.  Have to get up early in the morning for work.  Anyway....seems like 40 M has become the prime DX band.  Sure lots of fun hearing all those Europeans and such goodies as 9K2CQ, 7Z4CQ, and 5N0OCH as well as many VKs coming through quite nicely.  Almost sounds like 20 M sometimes.

I'm working on a scheme to get a second full wave loop up utilizing some PVC pipe supported by some guy ropes and hoisted up to the 75' or so level on the tower.  I plan to do the same thing that you are doing...that is switching in a stub to add to the length for the reflector or switching out to look like a director.  Essentially will look like a two element 40 M quad.  Should work out well, since the single loop really works FB.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »

Very nice on the antenna! Can't wait to hear it. Look out Tom. Us guys with the loops are gonna take over!

I hadn't heard the 5N. Musta been on Charlie Whiskey.

BTW Jack, the first wave will keep getting earlier as the days grow shorter. And you can always work the VKs in the morning our time, if you have a few minutes before you have to launch out for work. JJ is always QRT that time of day, so we can have the band to ourselves!  Grin
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »

[a better antenna you can add an hour or two on each end of these time. I would imagine this winter it will be around the clock or nearly so.
I'm working on a scheme to get a second full wave loop up utilizing some PVC pipe supported by some guy ropes and hoisted up to the 75' or so level on the tower.  I plan to do the same thing that you are doing...that is switching in a stub to add to the length for the reflector or switching out to look like a director.  Essentially will look like a two element 40 M quad.  Should work out well, since the single loop really works FB.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Jack,

From modeling experience I've found that a director works very poorly compared to a reflector for front to back. (for 2el loops)  It is better to switch the feedline to the opposite loop and make the other a reflector only.

I did this same configuration on my 75M delta loops and they work FB.   Since f-b is vitally important, I would give it some consideration.  

I'd be curious if anyone has the same results when modeling a 2el loop with a director only.  I've found the f-b to be down around 12db? as a director vs: up to 25db when used as a reflector. (While maintaining reasonable input impedances > 30 ohms)

T

WA1GFZ

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »

DE / Director has lower FB ratio I found on my old Quad. I did this on 20 meters and DE / Reflector on higher bands.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »

I agree with Tom. G6XN sez the same thing.

The switching is no more difficult if you do what I'm doing - two identical loops, both have with equal lengths of coax connected. One coax is fed (this is the driven loop), the other is shorted, thus placing an inductive reactance at the feedpoint of the second loop turning it into a reflector. To switch directions, just  unshort (is that a word) and feed the coax that was previously shorted and short the one that was previously fed. You could also use open coax stubs if cut to the proper length.

I'll run some models tonight for fun.
W9GT

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »

I hadn't heard the 5N. Musta been on Charlie Whiskey.

Yeah, he was on CW last night......one call & received 599, of course everyone was getting 599.  Grin

Yes, Tom...I will try it both ways....can experiment with configuration and see what works best.  It would also be interesting to see if you could feed both elements....vary the phase relationship...and perhaps steer the pattern to some degree.  Food for thought anyway.  It's not too convenient to physically rotate such a beast.  That might be an interesting approach for you to use on your 75 M loops.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2009, 05:04:30 PM »

Feeding both as a phased array will likely give you a slightly better pattern, mostly better F/B, but no more gain. It would also be more complicated to feed and adjust. No steering would be possible, other than moving around the null on the back side. This might help on receive if you had a noise source from a constant direction. But there are easier ways to do this with receiving antennas.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »

Yep, agreed!  The stub switching is the best way to go.

Check out this U-tube video of Huzman working Turkey on 40M, (To get it archived on this thread too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvrMV6q5Lhs

WA1GFZ

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »

Huz you are strapping tonight on the 75 meter dipole.
I5 station was weak though
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »

Yea, that was I5REA. He was probably 10-15 dB down from his normal signal. Things were good for USA though. Jack/GT and I spoke for a while. At times he was 40-over! A 1-lander broke running 7 Watts and an 8 foot loop on the ground was 10 over. Mike, KA0ARA from KC also stopped by. He was 10-15 over.

An hour or so earlier, signals were booming in from EU. ON4BW was 20-over. Things change on 40!

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2009, 06:57:20 AM »

I have been following this thread with interest and envy at you folks making big signals on 40M. I do wonder though if you folks with the big 40m signals into Europe have experimented with running AM, and calling CQ AM?  Grin

Last spring when I got on 7160 a few times running AM, I got quite a bit of talk over from angry SSB operators. I recall the day when 7160 was owned by AM operators (W5PYT, W5MEU just to name two).

Jim
WD5JKO
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2009, 08:20:02 AM »

OE5MSM/Mike and I had a great chat last nite around 7160Khz. He was +10 for most of the 45 minute qso. Aruba P41USA, Bob was pounding in on 7149Khz and we chatted for a moment.

This darn summer cold got the best of me and I turned in early.

Fun days on 40!
W9GT

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2009, 08:57:57 AM »

Yea, that was I5REA. He was probably 10-15 dB down from his normal signal. Things were good for USA though. Jack/GT and I spoke for a while. At times he was 40-over! A 1-lander broke running 7 Watts and an 8 foot loop on the ground was 10 over. Mike, KA0ARA from KC also stopped by. He was 10-15 over.

An hour or so earlier, signals were booming in from EU. ON4BW was 20-over. Things change on 40!

Steve...you were also 40 over here! Very good conditions... earlier worked a few Europeans and signals seemed quite good.  Seemed like no effort required to get through to anyone I called.   Had to QRT to attend to a plumbing problem in the kitchen.  WA1UIL was doing quite well for using that magnetic loop antenna.  I thought he was running a hundred watts though.  Anyway,  sure enjoyed the visit and nice QSO.   I will be hanging out on 40 M more in the future to enjoy the great conditions.  Hopefully, will get a chance to work on the second loop this weekend.
While you guys are able to "hold court" would be fun to crank up the AM rig and see how we do into Europe as well.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2009, 10:22:21 AM »

We've had tons of AM QSOs on 7160 or so since March.

I've called CQ AM for Europe numerous times but no responses. I did work 9H1ES - Fortunato in Malta when he called CQ a few months ago. He was running his BC-610. He's one of the regulars on 3705 kHz along with F6AQK - Jean. I suspect we will hear more of the EU AM crowd this winter.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »

Very JS 2 dipoles 20 feet apart hanging off a rope. Force fed on 40 tonight first QSO's lots of fun. Next step build a boom for the tower and increase the height another 15 feet.. Solid 2 s units flipping the pattern at ON7TQ RX and TX.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015