The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:47:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My report on Firefox 3.5  (Read 43173 times)
w1vtp

« on: September 01, 2009, 07:30:48 AM »

Finally installed FireFox 3.5.  2.0 was getting too crashy.  Seems to work fine.  A few nice new features.  Asks if you want to save your browsing tabs

Skin is an improvement

Al
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:02:07 AM »

The save tabs feature was introduced in v 3.0.

One thing I don't like about v 3.5 is that the RealPlayer record feature is not compatible.  If I want to save something like a video from YouTube to HDD, I have to copy the URL, open, and paste it in IE.

That's actually not too inconvenient, because it always tended to be flaky with FF.  Often, after I would download the video it wouldn't play, so I had to repeat the process using IE anyway.

Supposedly Mozilla and RealPlayer are working on "soon-to-be-released" updates to one or both programs to correct the problem, but they are taking their time about it.

I think v 3.5 runs a little faster, and they have  made it easier to save and rearrange bookmarks.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »

Be sure to have Firefox 3.5.2. Firefox 3.5.0 was loaded with problems.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »

Be sure to have Firefox 3.5.2. Firefox 3.5.0 was loaded with problems.

I have 3.5.2 - Thanks for that detail.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »

I'm still running FF 3.0.13. Does the upgrade to 3.5.2 retain your Bookmarks? When I went from Version 2 to 3, it didn't bring over any of my old bookmarks. I had to drill down several Directories and rename several files for my old bookmarks to appear.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »

I'm still running FF 3.0.13. Does the upgrade to 3.5.2 retain your Bookmarks? When I went from Version 2 to 3, it didn't bring over any of my old bookmarks. I had to drill down several Directories and rename several files for my old bookmarks to appear.

It did for me.  I don't recall having a choice about it (to transfer or not to transfer bookmarks).

So far, I like it.  There was some grumbling about some stuff not being compatible but I forged ahead anyway and I see no problems so far.  I was getting sick of 2.0 crashing on me for no apparent reason

Al
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

One thing I don't like about v 3.5 is that the RealPlayer record feature is not compatible.  If I want to save something like a video from YouTube to HDD, I have to copy the URL, open, and paste it in IE.

Have you tried the "Video Download Helper" Firefox extension Don? It does a fine job with the YouTube stuff as well as most other embedded videos. It also will convert most video formats to whatever you want if you choose to purchase the full version. I'm cheap, so I just use the free version, which works with Firefox: 1.5 – 3.6a1pre-release.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

More information:  http://www.downloadhelper.net/

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »

A great thing I have on Firefox is an ad on called XMARKS. Your bookmarks are stored somewhere on a server. If you should lose your bookmarks you can retrieve them there. It's also great when you have more than one computer. It will synchronize automatically between the two computers or how many computers you have with the program on. So right now I'm at the camp and when I go down to the Albany,NY area and fire up that computer, all the bookmarks are there and updated so both computers are the same as far as book marks go.

Now you don't have to remember which computer that book marks is on.

It's simply wonderful and you get it by looking through Firefox's ad on's.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »

Friggin Firefuks is in bed with the big brother folks at Gargoyle... they will block any site that they think/determine/decide is ng for 90 days, without regard to the severity of the (apparent) problem and if the problem has been resolved/removed/non-existant.

Grrrr...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »

Boy, you just cannot win with some folks. Anything that can be said about a browser vs another just brings up paranoia, big brother corporate schemes and the list goes on. I think that if your that upset about big brother and who's looking, you don't belong on the internet because that is just the way it is. Yep they can look down your throat and up your you know what!!

I have very few issues with either browser. Yep, it's not safe to get out of bed anymore because the sky is falling Grin Grin

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »

Just to be on the safe side, whenever I update to a new version of FF, I first  save the bookmarks file to desktop or some other folder.  If, just in case, the bookmarks get lost when the new version installed, it becomes a simple matter of re-importing them from the saved file.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »

Are you talking about the anti-phising/malware protection? You can turn that off or over ride it.

Take that damn malware off your site and you won't be on their list.

Friggin Firefuks is in bed with the big brother folks at Gargoyle... they will block any site that they think/determine/decide is ng for 90 days, without regard to the severity of the (apparent) problem and if the problem has been resolved/removed/non-existant.

Grrrr...

_-_-bear
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »

just install Safari 4.0.3 and remove all the other worthless browsers and be happy

Is this the perfect browser? Are there any others out there who have tried it?  I have it but never use it. 

K7LYF

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »

Just install Safari 4.0.3 and remove all the other worthless browsers and be happy.

I have been using Opera now for quite a while. It has some very neat features and is short on others. IE8 is OK, Firefox is alright, Opera is safer. Call me paranoid. My version of Opera is 9.64.

Another item to stir the pot with is which search engine are you using, you need to be careful. I use http://www.ixquick.com/
Just my 2 cents worth.
mike
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »

just install Safari 4.0.3 and remove all the other worthless browsers and be happy

Is this the perfect browser? Are there any others out there who have tried it?  I have it but never use it. 

I tried some version of Safari some time ago on one of XP machines. I didn't find it any better or worse then using Firefox. Viewing older sites written in Frontpage or similar web designers, both browsers would change fonts and some graphic styles. I seem to remember using it while up on Ebay doing some bidding and eleventh-hour hawking on several items, and some rapid switching back and forth between them, the browser locked/or froze up.  I had to close the browser and start up again. But, then again, I generally barf at anything that Apple pushes. Their product line didn't impress me 25 years ago and their current product line doesn't either.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »

They've all pretty much copied from OmniWeb. Tabs, saving sets of tabs? OmniWeb had that five years ago.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »

Twenty-five years ago is ancient history. I thought you were a new technology guy?

I tried some version of Safari some time ago on one of XP machines. I didn't find it any better or worse then using Firefox. Viewing older sites written in Frontpage or similar web designers, both browsers would change fonts and some graphic styles. I seem to remember using it while up on Ebay doing some bidding and eleventh-hour hawking on several items, and some rapid switching back and forth between them, the browser locked/or froze up.  I had to close the browser and start up again. But, then again, I generally barf at anything that Apple pushes. Their product line didn't impress me 25 years ago and it still doesn't now.
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »

Yeah Don, do what Rob says, use Downloadhelper and find a copy of WMconverter if you need to convert flv's to something else. Unless you already have something to do that with. Downloadhelper has stood the test of many Firefox upgrades so far.............Larry

WBear2GCR

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »

Are you talking about the anti-phising/malware protection? You can turn that off or over ride it.

Take that damn malware off your site and you won't be on their list.

Problem is that the average surfer either will not find and/or use the override that is in fine print in their "warning".

As I already stated they keep the website on the list for 90 days regardless of the current existance of any malware.

They fail to use whois to notify the site admin of a problem and instead act in restraint of trade in the name of  "protecting" users - EVEN THOUGH their posted warning reason(s) in at least my case clearly said that there was NEVER any real malware threat present!!

Sorry, there is no justification for this sort of thing being bundled into a browser the way it is currently implemented.

_-_-bear

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »

Twenty-five years ago is ancient history. I thought you were a new technology guy?

I tried some version of Safari some time ago on one of XP machines. I didn't find it any better or worse then using Firefox. Viewing older sites written in Frontpage or similar web designers, both browsers would change fonts and some graphic styles. I seem to remember using it while up on Ebay doing some bidding and eleventh-hour hawking on several items, and some rapid switching back and forth between them, the browser locked/or froze up.  I had to close the browser and start up again. But, then again, I generally barf at anything that Apple pushes. Their product line didn't impress me 25 years ago and it still doesn't now.

I modified my original post to make it clear. Ham radio wise, the move is definitely to new technologies. Computer hardware isn't that far behind.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »

I seem to remember using it while up on Ebay doing some bidding and eleventh-hour hawking on several items, and some rapid switching back and forth between them, the browser locked/or froze up.  I had to close the browser and start up again. But, then again, I generally barf at anything that Apple pushes. Their product line didn't impress me 25 years ago and it still doesn't now.

It was probably Windows itself that froze them up. The Apple computer and OS from 25 years ago and the Apple computer and OS of today are not even the same thing, not even close. 25 years ago I thought buying an Apple computer was like buying a foreign car. Microsoft had propelled to stardom and Apple slowly faded into the background even though their OS was better at the time. Steve Jobs just made some really bad decisions back then because of his arrogance like not licensing the software. It took about 30 years, but Apple has risen back up from obscurity and has now giving Microsoft a serious problem. A problem that just may well finally end Microsoft’s hold on the industry a few years down the road. It would not surprise me a bit if Microsoft eventually focuses on their Office suite which is their cash cow anyway and abandons Windows all together in the end.

P.S. I use Firefox at work because of all of the available add-on extensions. If they were available for Safari I would use it instead.

Windows didn't freeze up. I was able to get out of Safari, and quickly brought up IE, and finished the activities I was doing on Ebay. I was never impressed with their products, nor the Company, back then or today. Of course, I also have the same feelings with certain foreign car companies that I also wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »

LOL. That's even more ridiculous. Ham radio is WAY behind new technology. It has been ever since WWII.

This lack of being up to date on technology explains your dislike of Apple.

I modified my original post to make it clear. Ham radio wise, the move is definitely to new technologies. Computer hardware isn't that far behind.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »

LOL. That's even more ridiculous. Ham radio is WAY behind new technology. It has been ever since WWII.

Broad generalizations are usually wrong.

Hyperbole is the stock and trade of the "talk radio pundits", not to mention many of those who do the same crap on TV and in print.

Ham radio has been at various times at or near the leading edge of technologies since WWII. It will likely never be in advance of technology for extremely obvious reasons - so such a comment is merely "red herring" to chum the waters. Shame on you.

Apple today is ok fine in as much as it uses a UNIX underpinning, an OS that is inherently more "robust" than the kludge that underpins uckroshaft's OS's. However their frontend is more or less a copy of what SUN did first... not that this is a big deal, since the Apple was in its infancy a copy of was done at Xerox PARC...  what the heck difference does that make?

The plain ordinary pragmatic fact is that software for Windows is more ubiquitous than software for Apple's OS, and is likely to remain that way for a long time to come... so more people will install and use Windows than will install and use Apple's OS or LINUX (for example). I would personally prefer it if it were the other way around, but it is not.

If it were not for the iPOD, Apple would be out of buisness today... little doubt about that... ok, if they were in business they would have likely gone into Chapter 11 or been sold to another computer company by now. Their computer biz is too small to sustain growth as things have developed and now stand - imho.

_-_-bear

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »

Broad generalizations are usually wrong.

Hyperbole is the stock and trade of the "talk radio pundits", not to mention many of those who do the same crap on TV and in print.

Ham radio has been at various times at or near the leading edge of technologies since WWII. It will likely never be in advance of technology for extremely obvious reasons - so such a comment is merely "red herring" to chum the waters. Shame on you.

OK. Name one.

You are making generalizations too. See how easy this is?

If it were not for the iPOD, Apple would be out of buisness today... little doubt about that... ok, if they were in business they would have likely gone into Chapter 11 or been sold to another computer company by now. Their computer biz is too small to sustain growth as things have developed and now stand - imho.

_-_-bear

And you are complaining about broad generalizations? The facts are that Apple saw huge growth in its computer sales ever since the introduction of the iMac in 1998 - well before the iPod. Only in the last year or so have computer sales turned down. But so did Dell's. People like you have been declaring the death of Apple since the 1980s. You were wrong every time. Shame on you.   Grin
ka3zlr
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »

As for just board browsing Not one single problem as of yet. Smiley

Jack.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015