The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:55:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kerri KC2UFU @ W2A  (Read 16377 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »

Secret weapon. Kerri KC2UFU. Yeah, I know you can't say that on the air but that's her callsign issued by successors to Prose Walker

This woman drives a drag racer that has a bumper sticker which reads "You have just been beat by a girl." She even has a pink NASCAR approved helmet.

Here's the video of Kerri operating W2A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWyyZ63aJc

This video has more views than the other W2A videos for some reason.

Thanks Kerri and Ken for participating in the Armstrong station!
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:10:46 AM »

Kerri told me they stayed HOURS longer than they expected; you could see and hear she was having a great time talking with all of you on the air.

I first heard her on .52 simplex Friday afternoon coming up the NJ Turnpike. She and Ken were about 15 miles behind me as we neared the turnoff for Palisades Parkway.

She knows how to work the radio, for sure.
In fact, it became a running joke that every time we'd swap someone else on the mic, the guys waiting to work W2A would say "Where's Kerri?"  "Wanted to talk with Kerri !" like we were chopped liver.

* MVI_8664 02.jpg (196.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1317 times.)

* MVI_8664 03.jpg (167.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 961 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »

Imagine if Kerri got a good sounding AM rock crusher and strapping antenna system at her QTH.

I didn't talk with her at W2A, but monitored a few of her transmissions, and did work the station later but I think she had already left the site by then.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »

Why would a young woman want to hang around a bunch of weird old men? Leave her alone.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »

Imagine if Kerri got a good sounding AM rock crusher and strapping antenna system at her QTH.

I didn't talk with her at W2A, but monitored a few of her transmissions, and did work the station later but I think she had already left the site by then.

Thanks to AMFONE and some great folks Kerri's OM Ken KC2UDZ has a Harris MW-1 project out in the utility building.
KC2UFU
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »

Thanks again W2VW for giving Ken and I the oportunity to take part in this special event.  I had only intended to observe, however, my love for communication got the best of me. ( I have a sneaking suspicion you knew that was going to happen.)  I had an excellent time and cannot wait for the next special event I can participate in!

I love the fact everyone I spoke with tolerated my lack of knowledge on the technical side of the spectrum. Although I am learning new things everyday,I have to admit I was very nervous.  This experience has allowed me to see yet another side of the amateur radio world and I can't thank everyone enough for making me feel welcome.  I look foward to communicating with everyone soon, as I am now studying for my General.  

Thanks again everyone!  We had a blast and I didn't break anything, unlike when I hammer that 406 Chevy at the track!
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »

Kerry and Ken - are you related to Pete Hamersma. WB2JWU, formerly of NJ and now up in New Hampshire?  Pete has been a long time military radio collector/restorer/operator on the Old Military Radio Net. 

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »

I think we should establish an evening(s) in the Window where XYL's and YL's can join in the fun.  I know Liz would like it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KC2UFU
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »

Kerry and Ken - are you related to Pete Hamersma. WB2JWU, formerly of NJ and now up in New Hampshire?  Pete has been a long time military radio collector/restorer/operator on the Old Military Radio Net. 

I believe we are (distantly) related.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »

I knew Kerri and Ken's last name sounded familiar.  Kerri, I was the guy who lined up the MW-1 for Ken to pick up!!  Small world indeed.  I did work W2A later on Saturday evening and I got to work Steve Hemphill (sp) who built the repro of Armstrong's 42 Mc transmitter.  A great article appeared in Radio World a few years ago about that transmitter. 
Kerri, do you know a good friend of mine, Bob, N2HM who also runs WYRS?  He lives in your same town. 
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »

I have some strange antenna problem here, But listened to the nice A.M. sounds.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w2cja
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »

I knew Kerri and Ken's last name sounded familiar.  Kerri, I was the guy who lined up the MW-1 for Ken to pick up!!  Small world indeed.  I did work W2A later on Saturday evening and I got to work Steve Hemphill (sp) who built the repro of Armstrong's 42 Mc transmitter.  A great article appeared in Radio World a few years ago about that transmitter. 
Kerri, do you know a good friend of mine, Bob, N2HM who also runs WYRS?  He lives in your same town. 
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

I know Bob Personally  N2HM   whooo hoo
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »

I know Bob Personally  N2HM   whooo hoo

Yeah but I got to sit next to Kerri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuueqTl0fDo

* IMG_8657.JPG (3696.34 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 1682 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »

how do you get a RE20 to work into a 32V rig?

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »

Rob
I'm surprised you didn't know this!!!! Most folks using AM whether Ham radio or BC AM radio use an RE27 or RE20. geeesh!! There is no other mic.!!!
It may be a dummy microphone and the real mic is a D104 hidden out of view.

Transmitter site??? I love the ceramic tile floor BTW

Did anyone notice the EQ settings?? I'm guessing for the microphone...
First  2 sliders max and the last 3 or 4 max.

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »

It probably an RE20 with a 5 or 10 meg xtal element inside it  Grin

Fred I hope you have not blown hundreds of dollars on a RE20 or 27.  Those mics are built for environments where dummy talent are involved and prone to dropping the mic, hammering thumb tacks with it and so on.   SM58 is all U need.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »

Transmitter site??? I love the ceramic tile floor BTW

Those are standard 2' X 2' removable square tiles on a raised frame. The real floor is about 8" below.

We had to pull wire through the floor to keep the perimeter free of trip hazards.

It was fun changing the 30S-1 around for 125V because all we has was 480 or a 208 Y for power.

That whole room has been demo'ed by now. 
WA3VJB
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »

Fred's right. You have to start with a good mic.  SM58 is ok, a little thin on the low end, but wouldn't matter on a female voice. Plus its only about $90.  There are a few other mics visible -- all of which did well -- a couple of EV 664 and an EV RE16.

how do you get a RE20 to work into a 32V rig?

In this case, the little mixer on top of the EQ box, and the EQ box provide the interface between the low impedance mic output and the high impedance transmitter input.  We really wanted to avoid any RFI issues in the room. The curve setting is a little much, but it overcame the rolloff in a (nearly stock) 32V2, and sounded good at the other end.

The Shure FP33 is a two channel field mixer, and we used the 2nd channel as a headphone amp from the diode of the R390A.  It was this audio that "sold" Kerri into wanting such a receiver at home, she has said.  The EQ is a Bellari Rolls, I forget the model number.  Selectable mic/line level and high/low impedance on both input and output.  Balanced is standard XLR, unbalanced is 1/4" phone.

So the Shure took the mic level, balanced output of the RE-20 up to balanced Low-Z line level input that the Bellari wanted to see, and the Bellari delivered mic level output, unbalanced hi impedance, to the input of the 32V2.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

It probably an RE20 with a 5 or 10 meg xtal element inside it  Grin

Fred I hope you have not blown hundreds of dollars on a RE20 or 27.  Those mics are built for environments where dummy talent are involved and prone to dropping the mic, hammering thumb tacks with it and so on.   SM58 is all U need.

Electrovoice is good stuff, no doubt............I have a Marshall $99 condenture mic. GR8 audio reports here.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »

So the Shure took the mic level, balanced output of the RE-20 up to balanced Low-Z line level input that the Bellari wanted to see, and the Bellari delivered mic level output, unbalanced hi impedance, to the input of the 32V2.

What is the 32V2 looking for?  50K?  500K?  What is the hi Z of the Bellari output?  I am asking because getting modern audio and mics to work with vintage gear is something I don't know much about.  I know what the impedance mismatches are but I don't know much if anything about getting from 600 ohms to 5 megs. 

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 01:45:36 AM »

Speaking of which, were/are there any W2A QSL cards?
I worked the station, would love to have a QSL card for the event!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »

Speaking of which, were/are there any W2A QSL cards?
I worked the station, would love to have a QSL card for the event!

_-_-bear

Yes.

Ping Dave W2VW ....

* W2A-QSLv1.jpg (183.78 KB, 500x333 - viewed 586 times.)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:20 AM »

Hey Paul,
I was pulling your chain on the EQ settings.
I am 100% confident that whatever the lash-up was for TX audio, that it was monitored and top-o-the-line TX audio was heard by many.

The event did not have any Hammy-HamBone artifacts.

fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »

The stock 32V has a 470k grid resistor on the first audio stage input, IIRC. I've changed mine to 4.7 Meg and am still able to run modern line level gear into it with no problem. An attenuator pad is recommended since setting the level without overdriving the input can be tricky. Most modern line level gear has input Z of 10-20k.

What is the 32V2 looking for?  50K?  500K?  What is the hi Z of the Bellari output?  I am asking because getting modern audio and mics to work with vintage gear is something I don't know much about.  I know what the impedance mismatches are but I don't know much if anything about getting from 600 ohms to 5 megs. 
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »

Steve thanks; the audio Z thing is kind of mysterious to me.   I think High z source into low Z produces thin audio mainly in the high frequencies (I think I have that right) and I thought low Z source into high Z produces muddiness.   There is some sort of simple rule of thumb about what works and what does not--I think it is something like low Z mic into high Z okay; high Z mic into low Z rig = bad results.   I am prepared to run high Z mics into vintage gear here but at some point I'd like to experiment with audio processing chains working into high Z circuits.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015