The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:26:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2A  (Read 16303 times)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 07:02:36 AM »

breif history of WRUL, includes a copy of their transmission schedule from 1956http://pl703.pairlitesite.com/Stations/WRUL-WYFR.pdf

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

Shouldn't the QSL card say "Celebrating Dave Calhoun's genius." ?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W1QWT

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »

Are there still any remnants of the old WRUL short wave transmitter site in Scituate?

Hi Don,
Yes the transmitter building is still there but pretty run down. Also there are a few concrete bases from the antenna structures. When I first moved into Scituate I lived about 1 mile from the site and I heard them everywhere. I couldn't operate 15 meters at all. I got a tour of the transmitter around 1975 before they moved to Florida.  A local HAM who used to work there gave me the following pictures.

Below looking across Hatherly Road to the transmitter building. Taken circa 1962.

They have been talking about turning the property into a housing development. I have heard that there is some soil contamination however because before it was WRUL it was an Army base during World War 1.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
N2ZYZ
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »

I designed the QSL Card for the event, let me know what you guys think.

The qsl card as well as some pictures can be seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/johngo1
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »

Just a quick note thanking Dave, W2VW for the idea and perseverance to make this event happen. To Paul WA3VJB, who has been an historic radio caretaker for years, and traveled many miles to the station and operated professionally and smoothly to make many contacts.. as did Chris W2JBL, Nick KG2IR, and others..

And to Ken W2DTC and others who made a video "diary".. A great event..
Wish I could have been there..! (guitar and all Chris..!

It was a privilege to work W2A..

W2NBC

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »

Hi Jeff,

Nice rundown today on the W2A event!

Nice to work you today from the Mobile. I am running 18 Watts with an ARC-5 and my antenna is a joke. You were strapping with Armrest copy.

Mike WU2D

* CommandSetaGoGo.jpg (361.08 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 483 times.)

* Microhustler.jpg (203.34 KB, 1656x1317 - viewed 478 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
WA3VJB
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 05:18:43 AM »

Shouldn't the QSL card say "Celebrating Dave Calhoun's genius." ?

There's that for sure, but Tom I have to say one of the high points of our time at the Armstrong site was the fellow who checked in one night using a homebrew transmitter that HE built in 1945.

Pair of 812Hs, apparently never had a crapout in 60+ years, only replacing a couple of low-level tubes.

It's your father, W 3V V S, who turns 90 on August 30th.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »

Wish I coulda joined you guys, or at least worked you.  Looks like everyone had a Fine Business time!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 08:30:21 AM »

Wish I coulda joined you guys, or at least worked you.  Looks like everyone had a Fine Business time!

Yeah John if I thought you were set-up with HF by now I would have pinged you and we could have tried something.  We had enough altitude on the antenna for long-haul, but didn't seem to have a path.

Meantime, it looks like the Pacific AM community knew about us but also was not able to poke through some conditions.

Ken, W2DTC kindly forwarded an email from Mike KO6NM that I want to share --

---- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:23 PM
Subject: Kudos Re: Armstrong Special Events Station!

Paul,

I just wanted to drop a note of thanks to you for running the Armstrong Special Events Station from the historic tower at Alpine.  Many of the West Coast AMI group were listening via a live 'Stickam' Internet feed courtesy of Al Parker, N2SAG.  The excitement peaked when you mentioned efforts to contact West Coast stations.

We were hoping that the band would lengthen out Friday into Saturday morning but we had a wall of SSB operators to contend with.  Many associated with the AMI Net were operating with one ear on 3.870 while listening with the other to Al's 3.880 feed.  If we had our full AM window (3.870~3.890 MHz) such an event might be enjoyed coast-to-coast without web assist.

Paul, you can hear and see the AMI Net by watching Stickam any Wednesday night from 8:00 Pacific Time, generally at www.stickam.com/ko6nm or www.stickam.com/wj6w.  Most weeks we start the festivities at 7:00 PM to establish a presence on 3.870 and to call for early check-ins.

73 & Thanks,
Mike Dorrough
KO6NM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015