The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:19:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chemical safety gloves - any suggestions?  (Read 3571 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 17, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »

A severe bout with poison ivy this spring seems to have sensitised my skin to the point that I am now allergic to epoxy.

I use epoxy all the time, for radio projects as well as house repair and restoration.  In the past I didn't worry much about getting uncured epoxy on my hands when working with it; I just scrubbed it off after I was finished and never suffered any ill effects.  The poison ivy eruption was particularly severe on all my fingers and the areas between my fingers, but the rash had completely gone away by the time I worked with the epoxy a few weeks ago.  This time, the epoxy caused a similar rash, in precisely the same spots, as did the poison ivy, and I was practically disabled for about 10 days. After the rash healed, the skin peeled off just like it does after a bad sunburn.  The epoxy cans carry a warning: "Caution, irritant, prolonged or repeated exposure may result in dermatitis".  That was an understatement.

Since then when I have worked with epoxy, I have coated my hands with a product called 222* Barrier Cream by Ted Pella, inc, and then donned vinyl gloves.  The gloves are impermeable to liquids and you maintain a good sense of  touch through them, but the vinyl film absolutely does not "breathe".  The first time, this seemed to work well, and I didn't have any ill effects from the epoxy.  But the other day I repeated this procedure, and within hours my fingers became inflamed again, although not as severely as the two times previously with the poison ivy or the first epoxy reaction. 

I don't think the epoxy actually penetrated the vinyl gloves, but I sweated profusely, and I am thinking this time the problem may have been due to irritation of the newly healed skin by the sweat or perhaps by a combination of perspiration and the barrier cream.  I was working outside and the temperature was warm, and my hands sweated to the point that drops of water were actually flowing out of the cuffs of the gloves, and when I had finished and removed the gloves, the skin was all wrinkled just like it would be after an extended stay in the swimming pool.

Yesterday, I did some more epoxy work, but used leather work gloves, and so far no new irritation is apparent.  But the work gloves absolutely suck!  Severely impaired sense of touch makes the work difficult.  Also, since the epoxy is designed to penetrate wood surfaces, I am afraid that after more than a few minutes the liquid epoxy would penetrate the leather, and cause a repeat of the previous disaster.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any kind of protective gloves that "breathe" so that sweat doesn't accumulate inside, specifically made for handling harsh chemicals?  This same exact problem is bound to exist in many industrial settings.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »

Find some thin cotton gloves and wear rubber surgical gloves over them.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

Don,
Are the vinyl gloves you used a nitrile glove? Not sure if there's a difference but maybe not and nitrile is the ticket.

I couldn't resist posting this link: http://www.dontheglove.com/nitrilegloves

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »

Here, here! I agree with Bob. As a person that works in a chemical/pharmaceutical plant, green nitrile is the ticket. You should be able to find them at your hardware store. Butyls are ok, but they tend to have a higher permeation rate when used with some solvents, like toluene. Also purple nitriles will give you the same protection with a little more finesse since they are of a thinner material. These were made when the latex allergy was going around, (caused by the powder, not the latex). But becareful since they are thinner, they are easily torn.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »

I agree with Bill/KD0OHG

You won't find a natural or synthetic glove that will breath and keep out the chemicals. Your going to have to deal with the perspiration and a cotton liner will absorb the moisture and make it a bit more comfortable.

A thin cotton liner with latex skins on the outside will give you the tactile feel you need. You can find latex gloves at CVS. The cotton liner will be a bit harder. Change the outer glove often and as needed. Change the liner when it gets wet.

I have to work in this combination often Don.

Mike
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »

Mike, I'll agree that the 'jeweler's gloves' are good for wicking moisture but nitrile is going to afford the best protection over latex. Especially when working with alkylids used in epoxy. Latex is good protection with water base or bio-hazards. But hands down, (pun intended) nitrile is the way to go. That is what we use when we dress up in full Level A HAZMAT suits.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015