The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:30:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delay when I type  (Read 16841 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: August 09, 2009, 03:03:24 PM »

Could some of you gurus tell me why there is a delay as I type into this window?  It reminds me of using a model 19 or 28 in 1970.  Also when the window is full, the window will jump up and down when I type, showing what I type then jumping back to the top. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »

1 You could see the bouncing up and down with a full window of typing when using IE.
As a test, (I'm now using IE) I numbered each line (# return) down the screen like I did in line 1. At line 12, the bottom of the screen, things get wierd. When I hit return to go to the next line, I get a space, and the screen window moves up. Curser also disappears. You can manually pull the window down to view the next line and then set your curser to continue typing. However, it's gets very unstable and keeps jumping back up to line 12. It seems, with IE, at least here, the maximum amount of lines I can type normally in a window is 12. I have no problem with any typing delay up to 12 lines. According to the Site info, it's best viewed with Firefox.

I also tried posting three pictures below. 2nd picture image URL is at line 13; 3rd image is at line 15

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »

Interesting.  This problem just started for me recently and I didn't know WTH.  I don't use Firefox because I had trouble with it back a year or so and also had virus trouble wlith the mail handler.  So I stay away from it.  I have never had virus trouble with IE, so I this is what I use.
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »

I think the first mistake is using ie. I use FireFox an have no Problems Nothing.

73 Jack.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »

As Gary pointed out in 2006 in this post, http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=8419.0 IE can have a number of anomalies when used with this forum. I know spell checker doesn't work when using IE here and I need spell checker. Firefox works fine for me here. Other browsers also don't have some of the IE issues.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »

Interesting.

The same symptoms started here last week as soon as I updated from IE 6 to IE 8.  I thought it was just my computer or some other software problem and decided to live with it.

Yes, I can type almost a full line at times and it will delay. Also, when making a long post (12 lines) the last lines are hard to manage as described above in a previous post. O'well.

I'm not complaining since it's a Microsoft compatibility problem - not the BB software's fault.  But I'm glad to see it's NOT my own computer doing it... ;-)  I shud upgrade back to Firefox.

BTW, in addition to this anomaly, updating to IE 8 messed up my audio player. I sometimes see it working and no audio coming out. No wonder we all cringe when it's time to update a piece of software. The only reason I updated IE 6 is cuz YouTube said it would be incompatible soon.... sigh.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »

I have been IE 8 for some time now and this just started.  Now as I type things are normal!  I don't understand.  I started with Netscape when they first appeared and stayed with alternate to MS for years, but began to have problems so I went completely MS.  It is the predominate OS and browser so that makes operation easier.

I have not had a problem with the audio player at all.  Damn I hate second party software.  In 99% of my applications and interfaces I don't have compatibility problems.  Guess we need some sort of standard again. 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »

The problem seems to come and go. A few minutes ago I tried it using IE and was able to input 75 lines without a bounce up and disappearing cursor. I backed out of the 75 lines and then created this message (the first two lines you see here). I then went to the 3rd line and entered 3, fourth line 4, etc. When I got to line 13 the screen bounced up about 3 numbers. I was then able to move the curser down to the next available space and entered a number <return> and the screen bounced up again. I then stopped and waited for several minutes, erased all the line numbers I entered and started again. This time, even after entering about 35 line numbers there was no bouncing up of the screen. Maybe the site software is doing some behind the scenes periodic maintenance and IE might act strange during this period. I guess as long as you don't do an "old buzzard" typing transmission, you shouldn't have a problem. Note: I just entered about a dozen blank spaces after this paragraph. If I scroll down to the bottom with the mouse and let go of the mouse button, the screen bounces up to this paragraph. If I keep the mouse button depressed, the screen doesn't move back up. But, I can't enter any data after the last blank space. Maybe the problem has to do with how many characters you type into the field using IE. Another one of those software mysteries.  Cheesy

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »

I try to be brief in any post I make too Pete.  The problem is only a bother when I quote someone else and it nearly fills the screen, then my answer goes beyond the bottom. 

Only the shadow knows!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »

A work around would be to type your response, especially if it's a long one, in a text editor or word processor then paste the final product into the posting box here on the forum. You could do your spell checking before pasting too.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »

Seems to work OK here. Firefox just updated to 3.5.2.

3.5.1 and some earlier versions were crashing all the time. Looks like it's fixed now.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »

Seems to work OK here. Firefox just updated to 3.5.2.

3.5.1 and some earlier versions were crashing all the time. Looks like it's fixed now.

The issue in question here has to do with IE, not Firefox.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015