The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:09:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weekends trip and a gc-105  (Read 4681 times)
KB3RRX
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:25:48 AM »

took a weekend drive to meet with a fellow ham. He operates mostly cw except for the morning 2m net but had an old gonset that he said i could have if i wanted it. So i drove a couple hours and was given the grand tour of his stations and qth. Spent an hour or 2 chatting about radio and other subjects enjoyed myself immensely and got to put a face to the voice i know so well. and was gifted with a gonset gc-105 it's missing some parts
but is a worthy rebuild project.

biggest worry is the missing meter. so now I am on a parts quest (I am sure everyone here knows what I mean)
also a few bits missing from the transmitter and the vibrator from the power supply (he gave me a few different vibrators to try )
so anyone who has any info or parts for this rig let me know Grin

Also was given a precision instruments model 308 oscilloscope that seems to be in working order
now i need a manual for it Smiley

anybody for some 2m am qso's

Wayne
KB3RRX
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:36:20 AM »

Cool acquisition Wayne!

I have never run across one of those before and it is neat looking.  Since the meter is largely hidden behind the panel even if you cannot find the actual one it should be possible to find a close electrical and mechanical match, redo the scale, and end up with a nice looking restoration.

I believe there are sources for plug in solid state replacements for the old vibrators so try searching for those if none of your spare vibrators fit/works.  Unfortunately a google search for vibrator is likely to require sifting through a lot of irrelevant (to you) results   Wink

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »

I can't tell the radius of the opening.. 1.5"? would one of the small military style panel meters fit behind the panel?
bigger pic here:
http://www.magnetosphere.net/sales/box2/1005773.jpg

* tn_1005773.jpg (2.77 KB, 112x150 - viewed 410 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »

Also was given a precision instruments model 308 oscilloscope that seems to be in working order
now i need a manual for it Smiley

anybody for some 2m am qso's

Wayne
KB3RRX

You sure this isn't a Precise model 308 scope. The precision model 308 I have on record is a 1000 V Digital Insulation & Continuity Meter.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB3RRX
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »

You sure this isn't a Precise model 308 scope. The precision model 308 I have on record is a 1000 V Digital Insulation & Continuity Meter.

yes it is a precise 308. I just glanced at the scope yesterday. Had to take a closer look
as usual my head ran away with my mind Smiley

I can't tell the radius of the opening.. 1.5"? would one of the small military style panel meters fit behind the panel?

It looks like it would be a close fit opening is a bit smaller than 1.5 i'll have to get
inside and see how it mounts

Wayne
KB3RRX
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »

Isn't the 105 the rig that was referred to as the 'Gooney Box'? Pretty sure there's one sitting in the garage up north that needs a new home, would make a good restoration project or donor rig. Even has the meter. Wink I'll post it on here in the classifieds if it makes the next truck down.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:21:19 PM »

Isn't the 105 the rig that was referred to as the 'Gooney Box'? Pretty sure there's one sitting in the garage up north that needs a new home, would make a good restoration project or donor rig. Even has the meter. Wink I'll post it on here in the classifieds if it makes the next truck down.

This was affectionately known as the "Gooney Box"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:44:05 AM »

I thought so, Pete. The original all-in-one box Communicator. But recently an OT at one of the 'fests (Timonium or Deerfield) insisted it was the later 105 due to its odd styling (like a regular Communicator didn't look odd enough for its time). I've heard the term 'Gooney Bird' too, an obvious confusion between the C-47.  Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:00:28 AM »

I don't know if the GC-105 used the typical Gonset meter mounted behind the panel but if it does there is one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HAM-RADIO-electronics-estate-GONSET-METER-mib_W0QQitemZ190327995954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c506ebe32&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Good Luck,
Steve,
WA2TTP
KB3RRX
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »

I don't know if the GC-105 used the typical Gonset meter mounted behind the panel but if it does there is one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HAM-RADIO-electronics-estate-GONSET-METER-mib_W0QQitemZ190327995954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c506ebe32&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Good Luck,
Steve,
WA2TTP

nice looking meter but alas the scale is running the wrong way  the meter in the 150 has the needle pointing up.
I am thinking it must be similar to the one in my g-50

I'll keep my eyes open Smiley  Could always use another project

Wayne
KB3RRX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015