The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Wire Dipole  (Read 15951 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »

Thinking back on the joke Frank sent last night you have to consider a pole too wide is very hard to support.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »

It looks like one of those B&W NVIS antennas, minus the dummy load at the feedpoint, which was coax fed.

Like the one in the MaxCom, and later, MaxxCom automatic antenna matcher?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 03:38:40 PM »

It looks like one of those B&W NVIS antennas, minus the dummy load at the feedpoint, which was coax fed.

Like the one in the MaxCom, and later, MaxxCom automatic antenna matcher?

Yes, weren't those MAXCOMM tuners wonderful?  I knew a fellow locally that bought one and he swore that it worked great and he was able to work all kinds of DX with it.  I think he was just embarassed that he spent all that money for a boondoggle.  That was my reason for the "tough crowd" comment in response to the remark that the antenna looked like a B&W antenna except without the dummy load (resistive element) at the feedpoint.

My 3 wire dipole is hardly that mysterious and, despite some derogatory inferences, works quite well for me.  In theory, it may just be like any other dipole, however, it seems to function well in my location.  Perhaps, a combination of factors including near field objects and/or interaction with the tower and guys are causing the perceived better performance.  Anyway, it performs well and it looks cool, so what more could I want?  I was merely looking for some input on possible reasons why it does seem to work well, not trying to argue with established antenna theory or practice.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015