The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:31:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking 1  (Read 6259 times)
Detroit47

« on: July 26, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »

Gentlemen

I would like to thank all that answered my questions on my Viking 2. It is up and running, and it totally exceeds my expectations.
   I picked up a beautiful Viking 1 over the weekend, but the inner cover is missing. Does anyone have a source for this material?

Thanks Johnathan N8QPC
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »

Jonathan,

I have a couple of original Viking 1's and there is no cover under the lid unless the optional TVI kit was installed.  As designed, it wide open for RF to escape around the edges of the lid or for the operator to be exposed to HV if the cover is lifted.

That being said, TVI really isn't an issue in most areas with the prevalence of cable and satellite TV so I wouldn't worry about trying to recreate the TVI kit.  Neither of mine have it and neither have caused any issues for me. 

If you want to make a shield, I would suggest the perforated aluminum available from the home supply stores like Lowes or Menards.  But personally, I would leave it as is unless TVI becomes and issue and in that case you will probably have to go through the whole anti-TVI process with it which would be a lot of work.

I really like the looks of the Viking 1 case and one of mine is paired with an SX-28; to me it is the most "boatanchorish" of all my stations.  I picked up the second one with an SX-101A receiver earlier this year at a price I couldn't refuse.

The 4D32 tubes are readily available again since a ton of them were released into surplus a few years ago (from the FAA I believe); I think Fair usually has them at a decent price so if you like the rig you might want to pick up a spare.  Some were built with an 829 instead according to my manual and this required a slight reduction in rated input.  But don't buy an overpriced 4D32 on ebay; the tubes are no longer "rare".

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »

I run my Viking I and 122 VFO with a HQ-129X, it recreates what I had in the late 50's. The old one had the needed TVI kit, this one doesnt and its fine with a low pass filter and coax fed antennas.

Carl
KM1H
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »

My Viking One (see my icon) sits in an open frame 3 foot rack with the top of it completely unshielded. It's about 8 feet from the TV which is connected to the cable system and there is no issue at all when I transmit on any band. That's what I love about cable, it has very high isolation from the outside world. So, unless you (or your neighbors) are grabbing TV directly off the air, I don't think you will have any problems. Before cable made it my area, back in the late 70's when I first put the rig on the air, I used hardware cloth (cane weave metal?) to enclose the top of my Viking, which was missing the top piece of its enclosure. Later, I put a 10.5 inch rack panel on the front of my Viking and put it into a larger cabinet. It never caused any issues with TV reception at my location. So, I would echo what others have said here, as long as it is safely installed so cats and children can't reach into it as you are operating, it should be fine.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Detroit47

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:49:50 AM »

I just wanted to make it complete. The only thing that was missing is the top of the inside cover. I wasn't really worried about TVI, just wanted to make it original. The inside of this rig is pristine as well as the face. The only cosmetic defect is the paint peeling on the lid. The paint didn't stick to the aluminum well. I really like the looks of this rig, and was hoping to pair it with my SX-28 or HRO-50. I don’t think I’ll be able to match the paint on the case a couple on nicks will add character. I'll post a picture later.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »

Hmmmm, I don't ever recall seeing one with a top cover on it. Every one I've seen either has been removed from a rack sans top cage/cane cover or hasn't had it on when sitting in its cabinet.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »

I would say yours is original.  I don't know how many had the TVI kit installed but not many I bet.  I don't think the TVI kit even came out until the Viking II was introduced as a TVI resistant model and this was an attempt to provide the same qualities to a  V-1.

Somewhere I have the instructions for the TVI kit (but not the kit itself) and it looks like a real bear to install; about as many steps as the original assembly manual plus you have to take a lot of stuff apart.

So rest easy, yours is original and the inside cover would have been a later add on.

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »

Mine's got the TVI kit, top cover and all. Keeps it nice and warm so I added a thin DC fan inside the cover to suck ait through the holes and blow it across the PA and power section. Air actually wafts out the other side, as proven with a cigarette (others can use an incense stick), so it works well.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Detroit47

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:13:01 PM »

Well here are some pictures of the Viking 1. Upon giving a closer inspection I have found a few more nicks but nothing I can't live with. The material I need to match is the same stuff the used on some Heath kit. The holes are .067 in, I know the cover dosen't matter but I want it.
73 N8QPC

* Inside.JPG (989.58 KB, 3040x2288 - viewed 447 times.)

* Face.JPG (953.86 KB, 3040x2288 - viewed 404 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

Someday I'm going to get a Viking I EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT need it.  I missed winning one at a hamfest when I was 15 by ONE NUMBER.

It's just a beautiful piece, in my opinion.  I'd pick it over a Collins 32V

Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »

I've seen some 'close' punched sheetmetal, but if you need the correct material, I can't say where you will find it by the foot.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »

I just looked at the tube compliment in the picture. It appears that the HV B+ rectifiers are 5U4's instead of 5R4's. No big deal but isn't the 5U4 in this application being run beyond normal PIV ratings?

Jim
WD5JKO
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »

I just looked at the tube compliment in the picture. It appears that the HV B+ rectifiers are 5U4's instead of 5R4's. No big deal but isn't the 5U4 in this application being run beyond normal PIV ratings?

Jim
WD5JKO

They dont look any different than the 5R4WGB's in my Viking I and II.

Carl
KM1H
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015