The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:58:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upper HF Vertical Question  (Read 3849 times)
ka3zlr
« on: July 22, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »

Hello,

For a coaxial balun feeding an Aluminum Vertical...what is the turn count 6 at 5 inches I forget.

Thanks

Jack.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:23:03 AM »

http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »

Thanks for the Memory Jog.... Smiley

Jack.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:06:57 AM »

This was more than a memory jog. It was RE-education on these baluns.
I was from the misconception school of the "scramble winding" for these things. I will be re-building to the "better way" shortly
Thank you very much

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »

This was more than a memory jog. It was RE-education on these baluns.
I was from the misconception school of the "scramble winding" for these things. I will be re-building to the "better way" shortly
Thank you very much

Fred

Fred,

http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/airbalun.html  Best literature you'll find, IMHO.  Gives impedance of windings Vs freq and geometry.

I've had REALLY good luck using electric tape when winding my baluns like this...  I was doing them on forms, but found the edges would always end up eating into the coax...  Paint cans, home depot 5 gallon buckets, etc.  So, I finally just started to take one apart, and did each winding by itself, taping it to the winding next to it.

That assy went up in the air, taken from the K1TTT above, in temp variations from +5 degrees to +115 degrees, and had ice sheeting up to almost a foot wide on it.  It's still together, and works great.  Also, no problems with 800 watts carrier, modulated to 150 percent, so it will take the power, as well.

Another method that works really well is using PVC for the inner form, and then winding your balun on it, and then another PVC sleeve on the outside that fits SNUGLY around the coax.  Put N connectors on the end pipe caps (4 and 5 inch, 5 and 6 inch, etc..), and you have a nice balun assembly that SHOULD be waterproof as well.  Did one for a friend in the same environment as above, no problems to this day.  HOWEVER, if you don't prep the end of the PVC, you CAN cut into the coax sheath, if it's not done carefully.

--Shane
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

I agree it's a good thing to go over once in a while re-awake the memory cells to look for the information......the Air Balun works when constructed right. Smiley
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »

Well Jack
It seems that it's not re-awakening, but fellow Hams with good RF background. And you gotta love these 'puters. I get a little frustrated with this technology. The ones who know their math and start doing analysis with computers are the ones revealing the shortcomings to the "old way" of doing things. Example "Scramble winding", etc
Lot of good brain power here.
Thanks
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »

Well Jack
It seems that it's not re-awakening, but fellow Hams with good RF background. And you gotta love these 'puters. I get a little frustrated with this technology. The ones who know their math and start doing analysis with computers are the ones revealing the shortcomings to the "old way" of doing things. Example "Scramble winding", etc
Lot of good brain power here.
Thanks
Fred

If we would have thought about it, we could have determined that scramble winding was bad with a simple C meter Smiley

--Shane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015