The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:34:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apollo 11 Moonshot Broadcast Live, 40 Years Later  (Read 24198 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 11:02:12 PM »

Awesome! Here's another angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJmRC2ijmY&NR=1
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »

Good for Buzz! Of all the astronauts to pick on, this fool picked the one voted most likely to kick your ass and eat your lunch.

Peter, it was great seeing you at NEAR-Fest as well, along with Paul and the other true Mainiacs. Hope to see you in October as well, it's always interesting to swap stories and catch up. Wink Looking forward to watching The Dish, TNX to Buddly for pointing that one out.

Quite an event in an overall remarkable time for mankind. Being 8 yrs old at the time made it impossible to appreciate beyond the 'something cool is going on' factor, so these web sites and the overall experience has been most enjoyable.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »

Thanks for posting this Todd. Like most that lived through this I can remember exactly what I was doing when this happened. Listening to the traffic, about mid way to lunar orbit I heard them talking about siring the cryo tanks, That was a bit creepy.
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 05:48:52 PM »

OK I couldn't help myself...back again.

Great video on Buzz's punch!  Do you think he was just a little pissed?  A 70 year old punches out the lights of a guy half his age.  You gotta love it.

Todd...you bet we'll be at Deerfester.

Thinking back to that time in 1969, I was unfortunately a little too busy with sports, opposite sex aspirations, etc to pay any attention to such trivial things as a moon landings...all at the age of 15.  Roll Eyes

"The Dish" is a wonderful movie.  Classic stuff from down under.  I caught it on HBO about 4-5 years ago I think.   Then I bought it.  Its a classic movie fer us nerds Cool
Pete
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 09:24:40 AM »

Glad you liked it, Mike. I find these little opportunities to travel back in time most fascinating, a chance to experience and better understand something we may not have been around to see the first time.

Was listening yesterday evening when some lound sounds like sirens and what sounded like echoing voices were heard on two occasions. Houston mentioned it twice as having been verified as coming from the downlink from Apollo. I figured they had a tape and were horsing around a bit, but later wondered if it was some kind of signal image being picked up as 'skip' or such. It was very odd indeed.

Should be another day until splashdown, which will bring the anniversary of this incredible event to an end. The first shots of the capsule with those three huge orange and white parachutes gliding down to the ocean is one of the images that is still fresh.

Peter, hope to see you and Paul at the AM Dinner in October if you make it down for Friday.

ka3zlr
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 09:35:42 AM »

I liked the reading, of all the documents,the procedure docs, the Prep Docs, all of it and all the while while listening to that mission...awesum..man look what we missed when I was about 12..LOL...I was worried more about my Bicycle and trying to get some kind of amp together to play the electric guitar i worked my but off for... Cheesy   

Jack.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »

Approaching splashdown in a couple hours. Last update had them 27000 miles from earth traveling over 11000 FPS! I guess with no reference points out the window it probably all seems relative, but that's several times the speed of a high powered rifle round. Hard to get your head around three guys in a small, metal capsule traveling that fast.

The astronauts made little speeches last night for the TV and radio audiences, relating their thoughts on the first mission to the moon. I don't recall ever hearing that, but it has been 40 years after all.

Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »

Just curious here, It was Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin right? So, who is the forth guy in the raft?

http://www.nasaimages.org/luna/servlet/detail/nasaNAS~5~5~23815~127499:Apollo-11-Crew-in-Raft-before-Recov?qvq=q:Apollo;lc:nasaNAS~10~10,nasaNAS~5~5,NVA2~14~14,nasaNAS~20~20,NVA2~1~1,NVA2~13~13,NVA2~23~23,nasaNAS~16~16,NSVS~3~3,NVA2~8~8,NVA2~22~22,NVA2~19~19,nasaNAS~8~8,NVA2~4~4,nasaNAS~6~6,NVA2~21~21,NVA2~18~18,nasaNAS~4~4,NVA2~20~20,nasaNAS~2~2,nasaNAS~13~13,NVA2~17~17,nasaNAS~12~12,nasaNAS~22~22,NVA2~16~16,NVA2~9~9,NVA2~25~25,nasaNAS~7~7,NVA2~15~15,nasaNAS~9~9,NVA2~26~26,NVA2~24~24&mi=101&trs=4250

Splaine me that?
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:15 AM »

From the detailed description to the left of the photo:

"The fourth man in the life raft is a United States Navy underwater demolition team swimmer. All four men are wearing Biological Isolation Garments (BIG)."

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »

Outside of the Navy Seal museum in Fort Pierce, Fl is a Apollo capsule that was used to train the seals....

FWIW, My father-in-law helped design the heat shielding for the spacecraft.

http://www.navysealmuseum.com/

If the funding for NASA wasn't choped so much, where would 'we' be now??

klc

What? Me worry?
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »

"The fourth man in the life raft is a United States Navy underwater demolition team swimmer. All four men are wearing Biological Isolation Garments (BIG)."

No Way, That's the Hollywood camera guy. Finally, after 40 years we got the goods on NASA. They slipped up letting this picture out and your all in on this, aren't you.

Gotta go cover the experiments, Almost time for the next satellite pass.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 02:27:47 PM »

Nice right hook!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 02:36:58 PM »

There is no way they could have prevented outerspace microrobes from contaminating and spreading once the hatch of the space craft was opened.  They had to put the suits on in the capsule so the exterior of the suits could not have been sterile at this point. And of course, once the hatch is open and exposure to the atmosphere occurs all bets are off.  Though, it looks good from the public perspective I guess.  Must have had an air freshener in the capsule.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015