The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:46:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Yaesu VX8R is AM enabled !  (Read 8286 times)
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »

Anyone have a theory on why Yaesu would include only 6 meter AM transmit capability in a NEW handheld mutliband portable ? Why not 2 meters also ? Very odd move.... Is 6 meter AM popular in Asia ?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:58:48 PM »

Yes, I believe it is.

There are a few JA's that do a bunch of homebrewing that publish some scratched out schematics on the www.
Most any of them have done something for 6 meters AM, but I don;t recall seeing any 2 meter AM stuff.

But, I thinks they are more concerned with what they think we think...   Tongue

I'm sure they don't think 2 meters is good for anything but FeM...  err ..I mean FM.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »

Not a new concept. From the VX-7R brochure: "And for 6-meter AM enthusiasts, you also get 1 Watt of carrier power on the 50 MHz band!". VX-7R has been around for at least 5 years.

In Japan, according to the IARU Region 3 Band Plan, there is no 2M or 432 MHz "phone" operation. Band Plan only identifies  EME and Satellite operation for those frequencies. I suspect the 50 MHz AM inclusion on the VX-7R/8R was for mainly Region 1 and Region 2 countries. Many of the transceivers on the market over the last dozen years have included 6 meters and the AM mode along with their other features. Lots of popularity. There's only one current multi-mode VHF/UHF rig on the market today (Icom IC-910H) and it doesn't include AM. As far as I know, there are no band plans floating around the world around that include "AM" as an "active" mode on 2 meters, 222 MHz, or 432 MHz.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »

I thought the IARU so-called "bandplans" were only suggestions, Pete  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

I thought the IARU so-called "bandplans" were only suggestions, Pete  Grin

Actually, in some countries in Region 1, 2, and 3, the respective "band plans" are intertwined with the rest of their actual amateur radio rules. Fortunately in the U. S., the FCC hasn't moved in that direction, at least, not yet.  Grin

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »

There's only one current multi-mode VHF/UHF rig on the market today (Icom IC-910H) and it doesn't include AM.

Pete, I think you're mistaken. AFAIK, the Yaesu FT-817 5W "portable" and the FT-857 have AM TX & RX capability on HF and VHF. The now-discontinued Yaesu FT-100D that I have in my pickup truck also has AM capability on HF and VHF. I think the earlier IC-706 models also had AM TX on VHF, but I'm not sure. The current 706 iteration is AM receive only. These are all neat little radios. With the optional 6 KC AM filter, the FT-100D transmits AM DSB, without it, it's AM with one sideband.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »

There's only one current multi-mode VHF/UHF rig on the market today (Icom IC-910H) and it doesn't include AM.

Pete, I think you're mistaken. AFAIK, the Yaesu FT-817 5W "portable" and the FT-857 have AM TX & RX capability on HF and VHF. The now-discontinued Yaesu FT-100D that I have in my pickup truck also has AM capability on HF and VHF. I think the earlier IC-706 models also had AM TX on VHF, but I'm not sure. The current 706 iteration is AM receive only. These are all neat little radios.

Key descriptor >> "VHF/UHF"
Wasn't referring to HF/VHF/UHF all-in-one type rigs such as the 857 or 706 MKIIG.

WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:25:20 AM »

Actually, in some countries in Region 1, 2, and 3, the respective "band plans" are intertwined with the rest of their actual amateur radio rules. Fortunately in the U. S., the FCC hasn't moved in that direction, at least, not yet.

Kindly do your part to keep it that way.
And encourage the same effort by any clubs you belong to.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »

Actually, in some countries in Region 1, 2, and 3, the respective "band plans" are intertwined with the rest of their actual amateur radio rules. Fortunately in the U. S., the FCC hasn't moved in that direction, at least, not yet.

Kindly do your part to keep it that way.
And encourage the same effort by any clubs you belong to.

I don't think AARP and AAA really care.

WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »

I don't think AARP and AAA really care.

Actually, what a great idea -- AARP could fight proposals that encroach on the hobbies of old people. Like AM and radio hobbyists, especially the older ones like yourself.

AARP vs ARRL, I can see it now.

AAA vs ARRL, give me a little time, I'll come up with something there too.

Array all these powerful, healthy non-profits against... well you get the idea.

Just signal your chums in Newington that they're being watched for any post-Rinaldo boneheaded moves at the IARU.

Go Canada.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 12:57:08 AM »

Good to see you've spent the time away developing some new ideas and approaches Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015