The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:17:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uploading to BAMA?  (Read 5948 times)
Edward Cain
« on: July 04, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »

I'm trying to upload a Viking II CDC manual to BAMA without success. I have scanned and stored it on my desktop (Mac OS 10.5) and am using Firefox 3.0.11.
   The instructions on BAMA say to go to the upload window and drag document into window for automatic upload. No luck.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ed
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »

I've had the same trouble, never figured it out.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »

Ken, K4XL is a member of a couple of the reflectors.  I don't remember which but think Boatanchors is one of them.  You might post over there to see if he can help.
Also try AM Radio reflector.  Failing that you can probably find his email address on the front page of the site.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:10:41 AM »

Doesn't BAMA have an email or POC?
Edward Cain
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »

I emailed Ken, K4XL, for instructions. He told me that uploading from his web page is difficult at best and advised me to use a file transfer service to forward the scan to him. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Ed
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »

In a pinch, just to get it to people who want to get it now, you can use www.filedropper.com.  5 Gb file limit.  The only drawback is they delete it once downloads quit so it's not permanent.  If it's small enough you can put it up at Googledocs but it has to be pretty small, like .5 or 1 Gb. 

Rob K5UJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »

just checked and google docs takes up to 10 Mb pdf from your computer or 2 Mb pdf from the web.  That's more than I thought.  You could put the manual there if it is under those limits.  If google docs gives you an ugly URL you could shrink it with tinyurl.com

If you don't have a google account you may as well get one.  They're great to have even if just for gmail.

Rob K5UJ

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 01:58:06 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised they don't make it easier to upload.

I emailed Ken, K4XL, for instructions. He told me that uploading from his web page is difficult at best and advised me to use a file transfer service to forward the scan to him. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Ed
Edward Cain
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »

Thanks for the info, Rob. The manual is about 70 Mb, so I used Sendthisfile service. Took about 20 min to upload using their economy (free) service.

For those interested in this manual, Ken said it may take up to a week for him to get around to downloading and posting it to his site.

Ed
Edward Cain
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »

For anyone interested, the Viking II CDC manual is now available for download on BAMA.

Ed
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 07:59:57 PM »

For anyone interested, the Viking II CDC manual is now available for download on BAMA.

Ed

ur welcome Ed; don't forget to post a notice with link in the Books, Handbooks and Other Printed Matter section.

tnx
Rob

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »

Just curious if anyone has successfully downloaded the CDC manual from BAMA? I have downloaded it with Firefox, IE, and CuteFTP and all three times the downloaded pdf file brought up an unrepairable error in Adobe Reader. (Using version 8.1.6 which appears to be the latest.)

Thanks,

Rob W1AEX

* error.jpg (9.52 KB, 548x164 - viewed 358 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Edward Cain
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:31:02 PM »

Hi Rob,
   I can't open it either from the download. I emailed Ken to ask him if he knew what was going on.
   I'll let you know when he replies.

Ed
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »

Thanks Ed. He may have recompiled it in Adobe and it probably got broken in the process. I'm glad you are making your copy available through BAMA!

Rob

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 03:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the info, Rob. The manual is about 70 Mb, so I used Sendthisfile service. Took about 20 min to upload using their economy (free) service.

Ed

I hope you didn't scan it in high resolution. The complete manual, even with a color cover, should have been no more then about 20 Meg. If you scan in high or very high resolution (true color or 256 color, etc.), you wind up actually scanning the color and texture of the paper that the text is printed on besides the printed stuff. So unless the paper is pure white, which most text paper is not and 50 year old paper never is, you're adding to the size overhead of the file and the high resolution really gains you nothing other then crappy sheet details (various degrees of background shading on each page, depending on its original color and age) which you really don't want. And, if a reader wants to print the page or the entire manual, the printer has to chug along trying to print all the background shading besides what was printed on the page.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Edward Cain
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »

CDC manual can now be downloaded and opened.

Pete, I'm not sure what resolution I scanned it with. My first time using this particular scanner. In any event, Ken appears to have shrunk it. It is now a 5 Mb download.

Ed
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

Got it Ed. Nice clean scan. Thanks for putting this up there!

Rob W1AEX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015