The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:53:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.220 MHZ A.M.  (Read 11148 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: June 29, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »

Okay.... several suggested this frequency for AM operation.  I am officially MONITORING 7.220 AM tonight, right now and even calling cq occasionally. 

If you want to play, well come play!

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »

Everybody goes to  bed with the chickens these days.  I usually work outside until sundown.  By the time I come inside and have a bit of supper, 40m is pretty much vacated by AM'ers. I sometimes stop by the shack and take a quick listen during late afternoon and hear some activity, but the sun is still high in the sky while the temperature has become tolerable, and I would rather spend this time doing outdoor things.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:24:23 AM »

John

Heard you call a couple CQs on 7160 at 10 pm but unfortunately there was an SSB QSO on freq. at the time. Will check 7220 as an alternate.     

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
ve6pg

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »

..doing things outside don?....like collecting my jimsen weed seeds?..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »

I'm keeping an eye out for them.  So far, haven't seen any plants.  I'll check my neighbour's horse field.  They seem to show up where farm animals roam.  They used to be abundant here.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:29:34 AM »

Jimson weed seeds!  I'm afraid to ask!  Reminds me of those Casteneda books I read way back in the day.

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:52:42 AM »

Something I should be able to supply plenty of is castor seeds.  I have castor plants growing round the entire circumference of my veg garden this year.

- - -
wa2dtw

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »

Isn't 7.220 expected to be infested with foreign broadcasts?
Steve WA2DTW
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:17:01 AM »

Early in the evening there is a BC station on there. Later, there is not. Same for 7210, 7215, 7225 kHz.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »

Everybody goes to  bed with the chickens these days. 

Many AMers still have to go to work Don, so weeknights tend to be quiet by 10 or so. Jen and I have been enjoying the pool in the evenings until 8 or later, then dinner after that. The days that are hot and humid leave me feeling pretty drained if working outside all day, so a hot radio room isn't terribly inviting. Once it's closed in with A/C added, that will change. For now I plan to take the big floor fan out there.

I listened last night around 11:30, there was a station around 7220 but below that was quiet. Plenty of SSB activity but no AM. Static was pretty constant here, never realized how good I had it up north with respect to summer radio conditions. The benefits here still far outweigh that.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »

Everybody goes to  bed with the chickens these days. 

Many AMers still have to go to work Don, so weeknights tend to be quiet by 10 or so. Jen and I have been enjoying the pool in the evenings until 8 or later, then dinner after that. The days that are hot and humid leave me feeling pretty drained if working outside all day, so a hot radio room isn't terribly inviting. Once it's closed in with A/C added, that will change. For now I plan to take the big floor fan out there.

I thought amateur radio was a dying hobby, and that about the only hams left on the air were old white men.  So shouldn't there be plenty of O.F. retirees hanging around to populate the bands late into the night?

- - -
WB2YGF
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

I thought amateur radio was a dying hobby, and that about the only hams left on the air were old white men.  So shouldn't there be plenty of O.F. retirees hanging around to populate the bands late into the night?
No, retirement is dying.  Nobody can afford it anymore.

I am on vacation in the RV this week  (WB2YGF/3).  I don't have a shack set up yet to listen on 7220, so the only RF here is the PCS 1900 band handset which allows me to tether onto the Internet.  Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 04:04:17 PM »

I must have lucked out.  My pension plus SS amounts to about 75% of what I used to make per month working full time.  I have a 401K plan that has lost only about 10% since the "crisis" began, but haven't touched it yet.

Of course, something that helps my personal financial situation is that I am a piss-poor consumer.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »

They are too old and tired to stay up late. They may wake up a few times during the night to hit the head, so maybe they could get on the air then.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »

Good point, but there's always been plenty on during the day. They make up the bulk of the SSB crowd, running 'no traffic/favorite ailment' nets and the like. Same frequency, same time, every day. Not that age should be any indication, I've heard plenty of feisty old timers having a good time and plenty of 'younger' types following the same, stale routines.

4-5PM through 10-11PM weeknights seems to be when most of the AM activity takes place. All bets are off Fridays, though. Could end early, never start, or go into the wee hours of morning.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WB2YGF
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »

I must have lucked out.  My pension plus SS amounts to about 75% of what I used to make per month working full time. 
Bingo!  If you're a government employee you probably have a pension.  Pensions are a thing of the past for the rest of us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015