The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:45:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is all the CW activity on 7075-7125?  (Read 16191 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »

When I say CW freaks, I mean those who want exclusive (and usually extensive amounts) frequencies for CW and/or those who claim the CW test kept troublemakers and "CB types" out of ham radio.

And nearly 100% appliance ops.  Probably at a higher percentage rate than slopbucketeers.  I very rarely run into a CW station that is using a homebrew rig.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »

And nearly 100% appliance ops.  Probably at a higher percentage rate than slopbucketeers.  I very rarely run into a CW station that is using a homebrew rig.

You obviously don't listen to the CW QRP crowd where a good percentage of operators use homebrew rigs.  Over on the Glowbug Reflector, it seems many of the members are building or have built, and/or are using these types of rigs actively on the air.

Personally, I haven't built a rig (CW, AM, SSB, whatever) since the early 80's. Can't be bothered or have the interest to do it now.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AF9J
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »

Yep.  I use a semi-homebrew rig for some of my QRPing - a Small Wonder Labs SW40 I built from a kit back in 1997.  I set it to 800 mW output, and get a kick out of contacting people hundreds of miles away with it, considering that it's almost small enough to fit into the palm of my hand.  I also modded my old ICOM IC-740 to run as low as 500mW.  It's not easy getting out at those power levels, but with a decent antenna, it will amaze you.

Nevertheless, Don is right, in that many, if not most CW ops who don't run QRP (and some who do), are appliance ops.  I always find it majorly disappointing, when I hear of some ops, actually paying somebody to build a kit rig for them (this is especially common with the Elecrafts).  This is especially lame with regards to the K3s, where little or no soldering is even done - you plug circuit boards into rails & a mother board, like a PC.  C'mon!  Doing a little soldering never hurt anybody.  Besides, it's kind of fun to do, and as it is, don't you want to feel the sense of accomplishment you get from contacting somebody hundreds or thousands of miles away, with a radio you built yourself (or restored for that matter)?

BTW - before it's mentioned.  Yes, it's REAL homebrew if you make up the chassis and enclosure, and roll your own circuit.  Rolling your own circuit is cool, but not everybody has the tools (or the funds to hire a machine shop) to make chassis or enclosures.  Nor, do they live in locations that are conducive to a workshop environment.  For example, I live in a one-bedroom apartment (hey, it's a decent place, and the rent is affordable).  When I restored/bought back from the dead my Viking II last year, I had to lug it onto my kitchen table, in order to do any work on it, since that was the only place I had the space to do so.

And yes there are some real CW nuts who think nothing of spending in some cases, over $1000 for a key or paddle.  I had one guy who operates CW exclusively try to talk me into coughing up $400 for an Italian made Bug, saying that if I was a serious CW op (I'm not - I only do it casually for a change of pace), I needed a serious bug.  Yeah, right!
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »

Well...I follow this board because I really enjoy AM and vintage/nostalgia radio and I recognize that many people who frequent this site are very knowlegable, experienced, and great sources of information.  I enjoy the comaraderie and I genuinely enjoy conversing with fellow AM enthusiasts. 

HOWEVER.....I really don't understand this constant bad-mouthing of everything that does not fit into some people's agendas.  I really just don't understand the continual bad-mouthing of CW, QRP, Contesting, Digital Modes, and of course good old SSB!  .......I guess I do understand the frustration with SSB and SSBers, especially when they consider it to be necessary or great fun to harass AMers.  But, like all the other modes...SSB has its place and all SSBers aren't inconsiderate AM haters.

For crying out loud....we are all radio amateurs.  One of the things that makes ham radio such a great hobby is the tremendous diversity and great number of different facets of the hobby.  Not everyone shares the same interests or the same specialties within the hobby.  I think that is a good thing and I certainly do not consider someone to be a complete idiot...just because they enjoy CW or contesting...or any other aspect of ham radio other than AM.

I just spent several hours working CW at Field Day this past weekend.  They usually try to recruit me for one of the CW stations, since I have been reasonably successful in the past.  I worked 40 CW during this FD and I had a ball.  I have always worked a lot of CW since my earliest radio days nearly 50 years ago and I pride myself on having, at least, a reasonable level of skill working that mode.  Do I expect everyone to like CW?....HECK NO!!

I don't believe that my enjoyment of CW makes me any less devoted to AM or any other pursuit within ham radio!  I even admit to enjoying an occasional contest and OH MY...SSB  Shocked .   I am wondering if all the time that is spent criticizing other modes and other interests couldn't be better utilized?Huh?
Perhaps in building something, or learning something, or participating in another area or mode. 

Gee...I recently killed two birds with one stone...I built a replica of a 1936 CW transmitter running a mighty 5 watts out of a 6A6 tube and  worked many contacts on  Shocked QRP  Shocked CW   Shocked  .  Perhaps I should be banished!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
AF9J
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »

Nah Jack,  QRP CW is cool.  I do it a fair amount.

Ellen - AF9J
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

Hi Jack, I understand your outrage, but not all AMers bash other activities. 

As a recent SSB refugee (but who operates SSB on occasion) I can see things from the standpoint of a recent convert.

While AM is a technically less sophisticated form of radiotelephone, every AMer I have met without exception, understands how his equipment works right down to the last coil, cap and tube, and can throw it on a bench and make a fix because he has to if it breaks.  I remember when just about every ham had a bench with parts drawers, a VTVM, Multimeter and a soldering gun and flux pot ready to go.   On HF, I think the AM community is about the only ones keeping that practice going.

The problem with SSB isn't necessarily the mode but that hams are unintended victims if you will, of successful technology.  The gear has become so reliable and sophisticated that it is possible to go out and buy some black boxes, hook them all up (you don't even have to be able to solder coax jumpers now) hook up a store bought antenna, mic, and p.s. and you are on the air yacking in SSB with your 1 kw s.s. no-tune, auto-bandswitch amp and fish finder and you don't need to have any clue about what's going on inside the boxes and if they break, you ship them off to AES or some other shop for a fix.  This has made ham radio become glorified CB.  What's wrong with this picture is one reason why I got interested in AM.  Hams no longer have a need to know how any of this stuff works, (and even if they did, this gear is almost impossible to repair--it can be done but it's tricky) and I believe that's a big part of the cause of the dumbing down of ham radio, not the license exams only but that there is no longer a motivation to learn beyond the license test requirements because those black boxes never require any maintenance.  What's that got to do with AM?  Well a lot of these guys don't really know what LSB and USB are and how or why they are getting into the passband of an AM receiver because they don't have to learn how any of this stuff works if they don't want to.  In my short time on AM, I have had guys come back to my CQs running LSB.  They don't even know or understand I can't copy them beyond recognizing my garbled call sign.    Then there's the few for whom a carrier heterodyne is a problem, therefore AM should be banned.    So this kind of thing precipitates the animosity.
It's hard to realize how things have changed until you go back and look at ads in old handbooks from the 30s 40s and 50s and see all these incredible parts for sale that are unadvertised or unavailable now because hardly anyone builds today. 

I don't think SSB should be banned; ditto for other activities (except maybe contesting hi hi.  Today's contester seems to be a completely different animal from 30 years ago).  But I do get the occasional QRP guy who thinks the ham power limit in the U.S. should be 100 watts and then there are the few cw guys who think all phone should be bandwidth limited to 2 KHz.  I don't know of any AM guys who think everything not AM should be outlawed or restricted but there are a minority of practitioners of other facets of ham radio who think some aspect of AM should be made illegal, and yeah, not every AMer takes kindly to that.

BTW, the "dumbing down" due to equipment being made idiot proof isn't confined to ham radio.  I've heard veteran broadcast engineers lament that noobs can't work on a tube tx and are only good at swapping s.s. modules and fixing software problems.

Rob K5UJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »

I don't see much, if any mode bashing here. Could you provide a few examples?
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »

I don't think SSB should be banned; ditto for other activities (except maybe contesting hi hi.  Today's contester seems to be a completely different animal from 30 years ago).  But I do get the occasional QRP guy who thinks the ham power limit in the U.S. should be 100 watts and then there are the few cw guys who think all phone should be bandwidth limited to 2 KHz.  I don't know of any AM guys who think everything not AM should be outlawed or restricted but there are a minority of practitioners of other facets of ham radio who think some aspect of AM should be made illegal, and yeah, not every AMer takes kindly to that.

BTW, the "dumbing down" due to equipment being made idiot proof isn't confined to ham radio.  I've heard veteran broadcast engineers lament that noobs can't work on a tube tx and are only good at swapping s.s. modules and fixing software problems.

Rob K5UJ

Hi Rob,

Well, I appreciate your comments, but I think the "dumbing down" aspect is a whole different issue.  That phenomenon has a lot to do with the licensing process and also with the shifting of regulatory attitudes, "deregulation" and the shifting of responsibility for testing for licensing.  It is also affected by frantic efforts of those who see this is a "dying" avocation, to stimulate growth by "making it easier".  In the end analysis, I suppose this might be seen as trading quality for quantity.  Some have related this to an overall attitude that has permeated our society and our educational system.  

I agree that technology has played a major role in shifting attitudes and determining what is really important for licensees to demonstrate as proficiencies.  CW has been determined to no longer be important as far as it being a requirement for obtaining a license.  That is a done deal and no longer up for debate as far as the FCC is concerned.  That, however, doesn't make CW less enjoyable or less of an accomplishment to be good at it.

My point is simply that, perhaps we need to be taking the high road and not continually complaining and name calling when discussing or referring to other modes and interest groups.  Just like the TV set.....if you don't like it, change the channel!
I have been an AMer for many years and I am fully aware of the garbage that goes on and the deliberate QRM we receive from SSBers.  I am also aware that SSB, CW, and various other modes in the hobby all have their place.  There is certainly nothing wrong with enjoying several, if not all of these options.  In my opinion,it is also totally unfair to judge a whole interest area, such as contesting, by the unfortunate behavior of a few who don't demonstrate any regard for other activities on the bands. Its the same old story...we need to deal with those who break the rules, not by over reacting and making everyone suffer for the actions of a few.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WQ9E

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 03:03:26 PM »

Jack (W9GT),

Excellent post and comments!

I first got involved in vintage AM through recreating my Novice CW rig; I never operated my original Valiant on AM back in 1975/76.  I still work a lot of CW (both straight key and keyer; I am losing hope of mastering a bug).  Like many of the members of the MidWest Classic Radio Net (AM) I often wander down to the vintage SSB net when the AM net is over and I hope to have my Johnson Invader 2,000 and National NCX-5/NCL-2000 running by early Fall.  I still contest some but less so in the years since our daughter (now going on 6) was born; vintage AM operation is much more forgiving of time than contesting.  I do have a NBFM rig (Hallicrafters HT-19) but it might be difficult finding someone else to talk to so it stays on CW.  I operate some on 6 and 2 and have a 6N2 Thunderbolt awaiting repairs.

I have a homebrew CW rig (pair of 807's) and I am restoring someone else's attempt to build an HBR receiver.  My homebrew amp does run AM but I have yet to build a homebrew AM rig.  I do have all the parts except for one called time.  I also have a lot of ideas and parts for playing around with some homebrew regen receivers.

Ham radio is not like marriage, you can have a "relationship" with many modes and activities without cheating.  You can even go to Argentina for a DXpedition (as opposed to a "sexpedition") and your AM rig will still be happy to see you when you get home  Wink

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »

I occasionally get bashed for operating with my 2x2 call in the Extra bands.

(sigh)

W1UJR
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 06:14:23 PM »

Thank you Jack, well said OM, well said!

Who cares what vintage gear someone runs?
Are we less likely to talk with them if they have a solid state rig?
Are they somehow less of a ham because they don't operate tube gear?

AM, CW, or SSB, the important thing is get on the air and operate, not
just bitch talk about it online.
In the last few years I've noted a distinct decline in on air activity,
quite possibly because so many of us are sitting in front of computers.
Mea culpa.

I've also noted a steep decline in civil conduct as well, people
seem very short tempered, less forgiving, more bitter on the
air. Much more QRM, "frequency hoarding" and more insular.
Also attributed, in my opinion, to too much computer and
not enough face to face, or personal time.

I love vintage gear dearly, but beggers really can't be choosers,
and with the ranks of the amateur service growing grayer every day,
unless we welcome the folks who run other modes, or newer gear,
we're digging our own collective grave for ham radio.
Please note that is lowercase "ham radio".

Home brew, store bought or found in the dumpster, get on the air and
operate, it really helps with the "piss and moan" factor.
Nothing thrills me more to hear a young teenage ham on the air,
I'll go out of my way to welcome them in, scarcer than
hen's teeth, and if the amateur service is to survive, more
precious than gold.  Smiley
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »

Hi Rob,

Well, I appreciate your comments, but I think the "dumbing down" aspect is a whole different issue.  That phenomenon has a lot to do with the licensing process and also with the shifting of regulatory attitudes, "deregulation" and the shifting of responsibility for testing for licensing.  It is also affected by frantic efforts of those who see this is a "dying" avocation, to stimulate growth by "making it easier".  In the end analysis, I suppose this might be seen as trading quality for quantity.  Some have related this to an overall attitude that has permeated our society and our educational system.  

I agree that technology has played a major role in shifting attitudes and determining what is really important for licensees to demonstrate as proficiencies.  CW has been determined to no longer be important as far as it being a requirement for obtaining a license.  That is a done deal and no longer up for debate as far as the FCC is concerned.  That, however, doesn't make CW less enjoyable or less of an accomplishment to be good at it.

My point is simply that, perhaps we need to be taking the high road and not continually complaining and name calling when discussing or referring to other modes and interest groups.  Just like the TV set.....if you don't like it, change the channel!
I have been an AMer for many years and I am fully aware of the garbage that goes on and the deliberate QRM we receive from SSBers.  I am also aware that SSB, CW, and various other modes in the hobby all have their place.  There is certainly nothing wrong with enjoying several, if not all of these options.  In my opinion,it is also totally unfair to judge a whole interest area, such as contesting, by the unfortunate behavior of a few who don't demonstrate any regard for other activities on the bands. Its the same old story...we need to deal with those who break the rules, not by over reacting and making everyone suffer for the actions of a few.

73,  Jack, W9GT

HI Jack,

Well that's a pretty level headed sensible statement.   BTW if I seemed to be bashing anyone I'm sure sorry--I was just trying to give what I thought might be behind some of the um, unflattering opinions expressed, perhaps indirectly, towards SSB operators et al.   But I do think that every ham, regardless of activity, should have some understanding of how his gear works.  I think that's reasonable.   And I certainly have a lot of work cut out for me in that regard.  Heck, I don't fully understand high level plate modulation.   Cheesy  I have a book here by Terman with the title Radio Engineering and there's a section on AM modulation I am trying to read.  And I view CW as AM without the modulation.  Guess it could be called A instead of CW.  Smiley
Sure there are good-guy contesters.  Unfortunately, the ones who are sneaky, manipulative, win-at-all-costs freaks, get noticed the most.  As you can probably tell, I'm a recovering contester.

Rob K5UJ

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »

You obviously don't listen to the CW QRP crowd where a good percentage of operators use homebrew rigs.  Over on the Glowbug Reflector, it seems many of the members are building or have built, and/or are using these types of rigs actively on the air.

Where do they hang out?  99% of the CW ops that I contact are using riceboxes.  Occasionally, Ten-Tec.  Often I  do run into old timers who get all nostalgic when they hear me describe my homebrew rig.  There used to be "vintage gear frequency" somewhere around 3550, but after the phone band expansion I don't hear them any more. 

I don't refuse to carry on a QSO or deride the other op just because he is using a ricebox; I just said that I have observed very few CW ops using homebrew rigs. CW is about on par with SSB regarding the number of homebrew transmitters.  I hear a lot more homebrew on AM.

Personally, I haven't built a rig (CW, AM, SSB, whatever) since the early 80's. Can't be bothered or have the interest to do it now.

You have probably built a rig more recently than I have. The last one that I built up from scratch was in the mid 70's, when I was living in MA.  I still use that rig; it is tuned to 40m right now.  Runs 8005's modulated by 805's.  I built the HF-300 rig in about 1971.  About 6 years ago I was given a Gates BC1-T and converted it to 160, with substantial modifications, so it might be considered semi-homebrew.

But all my rigs are perpetual works-in-progress.  To this day, I still make modifications to the circuit design and replace parts with ones I like better whenever I happen to run across them, on every one of my transmitters.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:54 PM »

There is apparently a market for $300 to $900 keyer paddles.  I assume the QRP'ers are working CW.  Perhaps we can just group them together as freaks.

when you start gold plating the keys, they cost more. But in the way of phoolery, it must improve the character of the fist, by virtue of the noble metal. Some people spend as much to do CW as perfectly as posible, as others spend to do voice the same way.

I don't like that forum there, always some ill-tempered people show up. I'll just leave it at that.

* CW bug keys.jpg (122.04 KB, 668x381 - viewed 417 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 12:36:42 AM »

when you start gold plating the keys, they cost more. But in the way of phoolery, it must improve the character of the fist, by virtue of the noble metal.

Here's what you need for bar-hopping in Nashville. You might want to pick up one of these for next time you cruise Broadway on Saturday night, since it's now legal in Tennessee.  Only $1995.

http://www.americaremembers.com/products/CTWITTP/CTWITTP.asp

- - -
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015