The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:42:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing corrosion from Molex connectors?  (Read 3213 times)
WB3JOK

« on: June 17, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »

I'm trying to restore a scooter (a 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500, for those who care) that has been sitting since my brother wrecked it two years ago.

There are a number of Molex-type connectors in the wiring harness that sat open to the salt air here in Crete (house is on the beach) and consequently they have some whitish corrosion formed on the exposed pins.

Is there something simple I can do (alkaline or acid) to remove this corrosion? It'd be hard to find a wire brush that small and such chemicals as DeOxit are unheard of in Crete.

thanks
Charles
WB3JOK (/SV9 at the moment)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:11:46 AM »

Vinegar
WB3JOK

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »

OK, thanks. Eyedropper applied to the pins, or soak the connector in some vinegar? For how long before rinsing?
-Charles
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:57:32 PM »

I think you're asking for trouble by applying acetic acid to the pins and crimps especially if you get the acid in the crimp joint and it is wicked up into the wire behind the insulation.

You maybe be better off simply by extracting the pins and brushing them off.  Maybe neutralize the corrosion with baking soda and distilled water and rinse with distilled water.

If you have access to some sort of grease, like lithium, petroleum jelly or ideally silicone grease apply that to the pins and connector once dried. That should curtail any future corrosion. The bad thing is it will attract dirt.  So maybe covering the connector with a cover of some sort would be in order.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

Molex pins are tin plated. I would use no-ox. Once the tin is gone the best thing to do is replace the pins. Motorola once made a radio with the same plating process. Very easy to repair, strip it and build it back up was good for a year of service.
I've seen gold plates molex pins somewhere??
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »

If you have the pin extractor then remove them and clean them with vinegar and a toothbrush, followed by a water rinse then allow them to dry.  If you don't have the extractor then dip them in the vinegar for 15 or 20 minutes then rinse them (not as good).

Automobile manufacturers used pins of similar composition for connections in the engine compartment.  They fill the connector with an inert, non-conducting gel that prevents moisture form attacking the pins.  You can get this stuff at any auto parts store and probably even on Crete.  If you can't, take a small tube with you. electronics supply houses (Mouser, Allied, etc.) sell the extractors.  The are about the size of a pen and easy to carry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015