The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:46:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: static discharge coils installed... Photos  (Read 15671 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« on: June 16, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »

Today my friend and I, installed the array solutions coils.  These coils are 2 inch cores about 93 turns.

The coils attach to my open wire line and then to an 8ft ground rod.

The plastic box is water tight and is from Home depot. It cost about $20. I used Stainless screws as studs with water proof GE silicone around bolts where they pass through.  The Ground side connector is a standard Ground rod mount with the half taken off.  THis made for a perfect mount for the Ground side of the coils on the inside.

The total project cost about $35 in parts.  The coils where pricey at $83.  I would wind my own and will from now on. These are nice but not that nice.

The good news is that tuning of the antenna has not changed at ALL.  The RX has alot of noise removed. We are in a light storm right now and the overall noise level is the lowest its been. Signals are clear. The main reason for this was to stop the arcing I was getting at the back of the tuner.

Clark

* Photo_061609_007.jpg (324.72 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 444 times.)

* Photo_061609_006.jpg (286.22 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 386 times.)

* Photo_061609_012.jpg (237.95 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 411 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »

Be careful with silicone some types rot copper. The best stuff I have used is the gray stuff used in mil applications. I learned the hard way.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »

Nice Job OM!

Looks neat and well done.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »

THe silicone is not touching any copper. Its only on the enamel and on the cover seal to the box. I also put it on the threads of the stainless screws as they passed through the box. Not on the electrical connections.

Is there any chance it can go through the enamel coating? I doubt it. Its dried.. Its been hours since applied and the coils are working as normal.

Clark
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:59:19 PM »

Clark,

The silicone shouldn't have any impact on the coils.  A lot of the varieties of caulk out-gas corrosive fumes during the curing phase (that lovely vinegar smell) and this has created problems in the past.  I recall from my novice days one of our club members installed 2 way gear for police and other commercial users and they ran into a problem with these fumes causing connector corrosion.  One of the major producers (probably GE) sold a version specifically designed for use around electronics since it did not cause this problem.  I think QST also had a note on this in the mid 70's.

Those are very nice looking coils (basically operating as RF chokes I imagine).  Putting a choke across verticals was pretty standard practice also to drain off the charge build up and providing a DC ground really does quiet things down.  But I have never seen any chokes before that qualified as "eye candy", you really need a plexiglas cover to show them off  Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:07:05 AM »

I had a piece of this wire left over so I smeared the silicone over it on a paper plate. If it corrodes, I will know. I think I am ok. We looked this up on the web. I did find that from now on, use Bathroom or plumbing grade product. They will never bother the copper since its used near copper pipes.

Thanks for the comments. I am on the air now and things seem better.  Before, The pops would whipe out the RX. Now its just noisey out.. Not big pops.

Clark
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:18:21 AM »

Seal or not to seal?

I had a 68 VW that developed a nice rust hole dead center in the drivers door. I would expect to see rust at the door bottom. I finally got to tear the door panel off and found that the sound deadening tar soaked panel had a bubble in it. It never got any air but did hold moisture. Comparable to a empty sealed pop bottle sitting in the sun. Rain forrest.

This could create the same situation inside your sealed box and corrode your connections.
KC4KFC

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 07:47:04 AM »

Very interesting. I wonder how critical the inductance value is. What gauge wire is that? 16?
k3zrf

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »

Good looking coils. Same here wondering if the value of inductance was calculated? What bands are you operating with the open wire fed antenna?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:45:17 AM »

Very nice installation Clark!  The only thing that you might consider doing is adding some ceramic feed thru insulators for the line going thru the wall.  You might experience some breakdown there if you run much power.  We really don't experience that kind of static build up on antennas around here.  Must have something to do with the amount of humidity (or lack there of) and the amount of dust in the air, etc.  Anyway, looks like you have found a nice solution to your problems.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »

Get rid of those crimp on wire terminals! ! ! ! ! or cut the plastic off and slobber them! Acid rain will cause oxidation problems in the not so distant future.

Always use soldered on lugs for RF connections, or they will come back to bite you!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »

Seal or not to seal?

I had a 68 VW that developed a nice rust hole dead center in the drivers door. I would expect to see rust at the door bottom. I finally got to tear the door panel off and found that the sound deadening tar soaked panel had a bubble in it. It never got any air but did hold moisture. Comparable to a empty sealed pop bottle sitting in the sun. Rain forrest.

This could create the same situation inside your sealed box and corrode your connections.

Drill a hole on the down facing surface. Epoxy a small piece of fine mesh screen over the hole on the inside surface surrounding the hole to keep the bugs out. This allows the inside and outside 'atmospheres' to remain in harmony and reduce moisture buildup inside the box. Breather plugs are made for this purpose but aren't cheap.   

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 10:29:44 AM »

Always use soldered on lugs for RF connections

word up.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »

Seal or not to seal?

Drill a hole on the down facing surface. Epoxy a small piece of fine mesh screen over the hole on the inside surface surrounding the hole to keep the bugs out. This allows the inside and outside 'atmospheres' to remain in harmony and reduce moisture buildup inside the box. Breather plugs are made for this purpose but aren't cheap.   

I'd have to agree.  I had a 'discussion' with Jay via email and direct on another reflector (Jay, at Array Solutions).

We went back and forth about a weep hole in the bottom of their remote antenna switch.  I said no, he said yes.

Bottom line is, the weep hole went into the install, and now there is no problem.

Weep hole goes on the BOTTOM, where no water can get IN, you only want it so condensation has a place to escape.

Lots of Mil Spec cases have the one way breather hole vents, if you can find them.  I have a nice dive case set up with one, but I dunno how far it's capable of going underwater.

And echoing what everyone else said about solder, too.  Non soldered connections = diode.  You SURELY don't want a couple diodes across your feeders to ground, dew ya?

(pun intentional Smiley )

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »

I love this board! 

All connectors are soldered.  Those are not crimp terminals.. I love you guys!!  I cant believe that you actualy thought I used Crimp on connectors..and no solder.  I cant get no respect. hahaha

There is a weep hole in the box. At the bottom.  Thats not an issue here in AZ though! I love you guys again!

I had a small scrap of this wire I cut off the coils. I put GE Silcone from the same tube on that scrap of wire and placed it on a paper plate.  I woke up this morning. The Sealant is cured and there is NO sign of rot or corosion on the copper section or on the Enamel coated section.  Just to be safer, I sent an email to GE that was on the tube. This morning they wrote that silicone 2 does not corrode metals.  But other products they do sell could.

I dont think I need the insulators through the wall. Its fiberboard, spray in type insulation and a wooden wall. Those holes are also sealed. I just took the picture before sealing the holes.  Its been running like that for 6 months with out issue.

These coils on this installation is RF safe until around 140 mhz or so.   This antenna is used for 80,40,20 and 15.  Tuning at the tuner did not change on any band. 

The amount of static that is removed from my system is just incredible.  I spent 4 hours on the radio last night because this is the first time in months I could hear everyone without all that damn noise. Not a single reciever POP last night or today..  This has to be the best thing I have done to this station.  I highly recomend this to anyone using a simliar antenna in a climate like arizona.

Cya!

Clark

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »

I love this board! 

All connectors are soldered.  Those are not crimp terminals.. I love you guys!!  I cant believe that you actualy thought I used Crimp on connectors..and no solder.  I cant get no respect. hahaha

Well, you did buy your coils from Array Solutions.......    Wink
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »

I love this board! 

Well, you did buy your coils from Array Solutions.......    Wink

Key word being "BUY"....

I digress.

Shoulda done that 2 years ago, when I was there with that boat, and told ya about 'em!  One single one works GREAT on coaxial cable!

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »

Yeah Shane.. I am building a box to install a coil outside for the vertical.  It will have two Ns on it for the hardline to pass through.  This will solve the arc and noise on that antenna.

I guess if we buy anything we looked down on Smiley

I gotta go... Its lunch time and I have to go Ground the wheat by hand for my bread.

Clark
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »

Yeah Shane.. I am building a box to install a coil outside for the vertical.  It will have two Ns on it for the hardline to pass through.  This will solve the arc and noise on that antenna.

I gotta go... Its lunch time and I have to go Ground the wheat by hand for my bread.

Clark

We only looked down upon for ADMITTING publicly to purchasing.

Especially you, what with a half dozen or more restored by you boatanchors Smiley lol.....

Friggin Appliance Operator....  FAO, as in Schwartz.

--Shane
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »

Hardly. Complaining about those who have helped you solve your problem will get you looked down on.  

Watch your fingers in the wheat grinder. Oops, sorry, I was just trying to be helpful.   Cheesy

Clark
kc2ifr
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 04:43:21 PM »

Clark,
Nice job..........I think u made the correct choice going with the coils (chokes).

Bill
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »

Thanks bill.   I used the antenna on 40 today. I cant believe the difference.. S4 noise level!  My friend was showing 20DB on the reciever (local am'r).  I unhooked the ground and ran back in.. Same 20db over.  When he unkeyed. the noise is S7!   That is a huge decrease in noise with no loss in actual signal. 

I cant wait to get on the AMI net tonight with the Globe king 500C.  Its been months since I could talk to the west coast guys with all that noise. I am praying for a good band tonight! 

THanks to everyone that helped me with the advice and install of this system!

Clark
WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »

I have a few spools of #18 and #14 . I'll sell the coils for $41.50 and I'll throw in a few extra turns.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »

Frank,
Reminds me of when some years ago I mentioned to a buddy at work that I wanted a couple of well-built picnic tables, treated lumber, etc. and not the shoddy, "first rot guaranteed" ones sold at Lowes for $25. 
    Bloviated that I'd even pay $100 for a table that was built properly.  You know, announced in the same kind of voice that screechs, "give me a good, stacked sandwich for $5 anytime over a $2 thin, little meat gyp.

Well, he said, "OK, you got 'em for $100 each," in the presence of a third guy so I was kind of stuck. 
    So he shasays down the the very same Lowes, buys $50 worth of treated lumber and some carraige bolts and said, "come and get 'em," about two weeks later. 
    Everybody had a good laugh, but, come to think of it, it's been 20 years now and I still have one; left the other one in the northwoods of Pa. at old house.

Boy, I really like the idea of a static sink.
It sounds like just the ticket for my modified windom before the "L" net tuner.

I think I'll build one up; use up the old 4:1 balun ferrite core (or should I stick with air coil?) and some old #12 wire from Warefdale xover coil.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 11:59:47 AM »

Boy, I really like the idea of a static sink.
It sounds like just the ticket for my modified windom before the "L" net tuner.

I think I'll build one up; use up the old 4:1 balun ferrite core (or should I stick with air coil?) and some old #12 wire from Warefdale xover coil.

I always used the carbon resistors, and they worked well.  I was always scared of wirewounds or a coil, because of series resonance.  With the thread before, and some 'prodding' from some members here, I VNA'ed ww resistors, and they seemingly work well, too.....

BUT, a static sink, as you put it, is nice.  That, and a GOOD receiver with a low noise floor, and you can hear things that wheren't even there before!

--Shane
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015